Packets sign Merciless

mikebpackfan

I am surprised to see Mercilus as the top rated player.  I didn't notice him, or Garvin, very much at all.  I did see a lot of Rashan Gary and Preston Smith though.  

I guess so far, so good with Mercilus.  His addition limits the snaps of Hamilton and to a lesser extent Burks and Jaylon Smith at the OLB position.  Good guy to have in the rotation, IMO.  He looked really slow footed against Washington, couldn't chase anything down.  But he was generating pass rush.  I didn't notice him but one time against Arizona.  So he wasn't creating havoc, or getting beaten up.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am surprised to see Mercilus as the top rated player.  I didn't notice him, or Garvin, very much at all.  I did see a lot of Rashan Gary and Preston Smith though.  

I guess so far, so good with Mercilus.  His addition limits the snaps of Hamilton and to a lesser extent Burks and Jaylon Smith at the OLB position.  Good guy to have in the rotation, IMO.  He looked really slow footed against Washington, couldn't chase anything down.  But he was generating pass rush.  I didn't notice him but one time against Arizona.  So he wasn't creating havoc, or getting beaten up.  

I didn't notice him either.  Also, did Jaylon Smith even play?

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

These grades look low overall for holding ARZ to 21 points. Similarly, our DVOA seems low as well at this point. I'm a little nervous we're relying on luck/timely plays a lot.

Hmmm.  Murray falls running backwards for a sack.

Hmmm.  Tipped ball leads to INT.

Hmmm.  Returner gets a fingernail on the ball and we recover.

Hmmm.  Murray throws a back shoulder throw to a vet WR who hasn't turned around.

Hmmm.  Some guy named Douglas tips the pass, catches it and stays inbounds.

Yah, there was a lot of luck last game.

But there are a lot of times when tipped balls aren't caught.  We caught 'em.