Transfer Portal 2021-2022 Edition

Texansfan713

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Are you going to put the same limitations on coaches then too? Or do they get a free pass unlike the kids that get them paid?

Honestly, I think there should be limitations on coaches. Unless their contract is up, they shouldn't be able to move.

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Bc I don't want it to further decrease the parity even if it were OSU. I would prefer to promote ideas that increase parity. Maybe this will accomplish that but I don't see how

There hasn't been parity in college football, outside of a couple fluke seasons, since it first started.

This actually improves the chance parity, even slightly. Instead of incredibly talented players being forced to sit behind players slightly better, they have the opportunity to switch schools and help out on the field elsewhere.

Unless of course you think it's a good idea for two QBs like Jake Fromm and Justin Fields to have to be on the same team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Can you show me where I said I agreed with the rules at that time?

Here was your reaction:

On 1/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Well holy hell. This kid better be the real deal if he beats out Tate. Hopefully he doesn't have an attitude problem but that remains to be seen. Hoping for the best person to come out a winner.

He wont' be eligible until 2020 though, right?

You were nothing but excited, and were digging into however Fields' lawyer was going to argue to get him to play. 

I'll shout out @NateDawg, who was the only OSU fan to call it what it was: a loophole. Otherwise, the entire fanbase signed up.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The notion that player movement is just because of the selfish players ruining the sanctity of our hallowed and pure sport (lmao) is always so funny because as always it's labor you have a problem with and not those that have profited from the exploitation of that labor for decades without recourse.

The idea that the teams aren't also for it and thus, render the entire thing moot, is funny.

You absolutely did not care about any of this with Fields and you absolutely will not care when you get whatever big name guy comes to OSU in a month. Stop pretending this matters to you. That you care about "parity". Why should you? You root for ONE team, I don't care if the rest of the B1G is good or whatever and why should I. I don't care that Bama is the champ every year from some kind of nonsense moral standpoint about the nature of competition or w/e, and I certainly don't think that pretending to care is going to do anything.

This is the sport, this has literally always been the sport, the it is now shifting ever so slightly in VERY FEW favorable elements towards labor changes nothing.

The OSU QB room had 4 5 starts in it earlier this year, and fans are actually talking about parity. That's rich.

Blue blood programs are freaking out about the portal because coaches have made a living lying to recruits for years and then claiming "but muh loyalty" when they get called on it. Now kids can hold programs accountable.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Here was your reaction:

You were nothing but excited, and were digging into however Fields' lawyer was going to argue to get him to play. 

I'll shout out @NateDawg, who was the only OSU fan to call it what it was: a loophole. Otherwise, the entire fanbase signed up.

Excited =\= agreeing with everything. It's literally my second statement in the post you quoted. I even mentioned that Fields example is the exception bc if a kid is experiencing racist threats while on campus, they should be able to remove themselves from that situation.  

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

Most players from blue blood programs that transfer don't go to another blue blood. It happens but that is a rarity. It gives the "lesser" teams a shot at a top athlete. And it gives the athlete a chance to show what he can do to NFL FOs. You only have 4 years to show what you got and you want them to just sit on the bench the whole the time, that is dumb

Correct but lately, we are which it what I'm fearing will continue to be a trend. 

I've thought about it from the draft angle and honestly, their scouts are good. They find people that have the talent and we've seen stocks rise and plummet due to senior bowl games alone

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Excited =\= agreeing with everything. It's literally my second statement in the post you quoted. I even mentioned that Fields example is the exception bc if a kid is experiencing racist threats while on campus, they should be able to remove themselves from that situation.  

If you want to pretend that you were really on the fence about Fields transferring the whole time and he somehow won over your uneasy acceptance, whatever, but you're not fooling anyone.

• Like 3

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you want to pretend that you were really on the fence about Fields transferring the whole time and he somehow won over your uneasy acceptance, whatever, but you're not fooling anyone.

Never said I was on the fence about it. I agree I was excited about him coming here. I admitted that before you even quoted me. Even said his scenario is the exception to the rule. If you don't want to believe me, fantastic. Enjoy that. What reason do I have to lie to text on a screen? Lol

44 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

There hasn't been parity in college football, outside of a couple fluke seasons, since it first started.

This actually improves the chance parity, even slightly. Instead of incredibly talented players being forced to sit behind players slightly better, they have the opportunity to switch schools and help out on the field elsewhere.

Unless of course you think it's a good idea for two QBs like Jake Fromm and Justin Fields to have to be on the same team.

I agree it improves it to an extent but I'm fearing the recent trends are going to change that. We will see this. 

As for the guys sitting on the same team, they knew who signed to play there when they opted to so it kinda was their choice. I know someone can come in later but decommitting is always an option before that happens. 

Sorry for the edit. The way this site handles quoting on mobile is terrible. Aka it doesn't allow you to delete them

34 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The OSU QB room had 4 5 starts in it earlier this year, and fans are actually talking about parity. That's rich.

TIL your opinion is more or less valid due to the team you root for lol

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

TIL your opinion is more or less valid due to the team you root for lol

Today's lesson even comes with vocabulary: conflict of interest

Yes, when your opinions over the years line up precisely with what is good for the football program you root for, other people will call you on it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

As for the guys sitting on the same team, they knew who signed to play there when they opted to so it kinda was their choice. I know someone can come in later but decommitting is always an option before that happens.

So they just have to live with it for 4/5 years. They make a wrong decision at 17-years-old and they have to give up years of eligibility because of it if they want to look for a different opportunity?

Why is that more fair than being able to transfer and play immediately?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

So they just have to live with it for 4/5 years. They make a wrong decision at 17-years-old and they have to give up years of eligibility because of it if they want to look for a different opportunity?

Why is that more fair than being able to transfer and play immediately?

If you're going to a "premiere" program, you're still getting top level coaching. These people will prepare these kids for the next level as some of the best in the business. It's not like you're getting nothing out of the deal which is why I've suggested I'm a fan if the coaches leave for somewhere else. 

Your argument is easily the best in being for it and I don't disagree with the logic. To think that just bc you never get on the field doesn't mean you'll never get a shot isn't true though. Will it be harder? Absolutely. No question. Like I said prior though, the combine and Senior Bowl drastically effects draft stock. Then you have guys like Cyril Grayson and he's not alone. 

Like I said, I like your logic and IMO it's easily the best argument for people being able to do what they want but I guess I just prefer structure and guidelines instead of a free-for-all, I dunno. Haven't really delved into psychology of my thinking though. 

EDIT: In reading more through this, I am obviously looking at it from the NFL is the final result as I feel it would be for majority of these kids but a lot obviously won't get there. That is where my fault lies and probably what drives my thought process rather than just these kids getting PT. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Here was your reaction:

Liking the fact I didn’t have a single post in there.

maybe it should read as “the entire fan base [who posted] appears to have signed up.

#rowTheBoat!!!

Edited by malibuspeedrace

FTR, even though I doubt anyone cares, I have acknowledged I used the wrong choice of words in the comment that sparked this dialogue. 

The portal is a good thing but I feel there need to be some limitations on it on when it can happen and not where they go. 

Thanks for the engagement, almost everyone.  

I'm all for a 1 time transfer portal option AND the option to grad transfer anywhere even after the portal for a few reasons:

1. It's an insurance policy for a kid who was lied to about playing time, expectations, on his visit, etc.

2. It's an insurance policy for a kid who has a coach leave for any reason (termination, for another job, etc.)

3. It balances the scales of coaches leaving, getting huge contracts, and colleges profiting off of athletes (albeit it is mutually beneficial in many cases and no one will ever change my mind on this)

4. It incentivizes a kid to get his degree early and utilize a RS to his advantage. You get a free education, use that institution to your advantage, and then you can transfer wherever for whatever reason, including but not limited to increased playing time, a paid in full Masters degree, to increase your draft stock, etc.

Here's where I don't like it, but I don't think that there's a better solution:

The NIL bid war and fallout could get majorly corrupt, even more so than it's always been. (But no more so than boosters and college coaches. See: Miami and their former coach while they're actively recruiting Crystobal). Tampering is going to get ridiculous, but on the plus side, coaches who promise playing time will have to deliver due to NIL contingency deals involving playing time, or else their recruit leaves.