Transfer Portal 2021-2022 Edition

Texansfan713

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I love that kids are getting paid and allowed to transfer.

My only concern is for the players perspective: What happens if a kid isn’t as “hot on the market” as he thinks he is? What happens if only trash schools are willing to accept them?

That’s the risk they take I guess. It’s like when kids declare and don’t get drafted.

In a perfect world, I want these kids to get paid and have a fallback plan if things go south. You just know some shady agents are going to give these kids bad advice when they want to transfer.

As opposed to the shady coaches who give them awful promises to get their commitments?

On 1/4/2022 at 1:21 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

At this point hand wringing over what is already a genie out of the bottle situation only reveals what you think labor power should be and what their applied power should have limitations on, nothing more.

This is a settled issue, it's never going back.

I'll offer an olive branch here to people who don't like this system: everyone at some level agrees with you. NIL has never been anything but a workaround that took bag men and stuffed them in suits so that players aren't having to commit tax fraud to get paid anymore. That's the only reason we like it. That's mostly the only thing we like about it. 

I'd much rather make the players employees, give them money from the athletic departments directly, let them collectively bargain, and treat this thing like the professional sports league that somewhere along the line CFB turned into. The fact that state legislatures have had to force this means that the answer wasn't going to be comprehensive. And since the NCAA has realized there is a clock on their existence they have ceased governing the sport at all as far as I can tell, so it's not a surprise that the end result is some mishappened thing that doesn't really make sense.

But if Caleb Williams auctioning himself off a year at a time is another step towards convincing people to sit down and organize this sport properly, I'm all for it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'll offer an olive branch here to people who don't like this system: everyone at some level agrees with you. NIL has never been anything but a workaround that took bag men and stuffed them in suits so that players aren't having to commit tax fraud to get paid anymore. That's the only reason we like it. That's mostly the only thing we like about it. 

I'd much rather make the players employees, give them money from the athletic departments directly, let them collectively bargain, and treat this thing like the professional sports league that somewhere along the line CFB turned into. The fact that state legislatures have had to force this means that the answer wasn't going to be comprehensive. And since the NCAA has realized there is a clock on their existence they have ceased governing the sport at all as far as I can tell, so it's not a surprise that the end result is some mishappened thing that doesn't really make sense.

But if Caleb Williams auctioning himself off a year at a time is another step towards convincing people to sit down and organize this sport properly, I'm all for it.

This is a good post. I do want to add one caveat, that NIL being a workaround is mostly on the football side of things. As it relates to other sports, it has actually been a huge and welcome change. Especially for women’s sports, athletes can now monetize their social media platforms and make money. They probably weren’t getting booster money in the past, but now they can make serious money through legitimate business ventures. 

• Like 2

Quinn Ewers - Ohio State -> Texas
Spencer Rattler - Oklahoma -> South Carolina
Dillon Gabriel - UCF -> Oklahoma
Kedon Slovis - USC -> Pittsburgh
Bo Nix - Auburn -> Oregon
Max Johnson - LSU -> Texas A&M
Connor Bazelak - Missouri -> Indiana
Michael Penix Jr - Indiana -> Washington
Zach Calzada - Texas A&M -> Auburn
Adrian Martinez - Nebraska -> Kansas State
Casey Thompson - Texas -> Nebraska
Jack Miller - Ohio State -> Florida
Charlie Brewer - Utah -> Liberty
Tommy DeVito - Syracuse -> Illinois
Levi Williams - Wyoming -> Utah State
Chevan Cordero - Hawaii -> San Jose State
Ta'Quan Roberson - Penn State -> UConn
Zach Gibson - Akron -> Georgia Tech

Caleb Williams - Oklahoma -> ???
Emory Jones - Florida -> ??? (not official yet - could stay at UF)
Taisun Phommachanh - Clemson -> ???
Cameron Ward - Incarnate Word -> ???
Chubba Purdy - Florida State -> ???
Harrison Bailey - Tennessee -> ???
Braxton Burmeister - Virginia Tech -> ???
Malik Hornsby - Arkansas -> ???
Robby Ashford - Oregon -> ???
John Rhys Plumlee - Ole Miss -> ???
Jarret Doege - West Virginia -> ???
Gunnar Holmberg - Duke -> ???
Jacob Rodriguez - Virginia -> ???
Deuce Hogan - Iowa -> ???
Jordan Yates - Georgia Tech -> ???
Jack Plummer - Purdue -> ???
Peter Costelli - Utah -> ???

Edited by beekay414

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Quinn Ewers - Ohio State -> Texas
Spencer Rattler - Oklahoma -> South Carolina
Dillon Gabriel - UCF -> Oklahoma
Kedon Slovis - USC -> Pittsburgh
Bo Nix - Auburn -> Oregon
Max Johnson - LSU -> Texas A&M
Connor Bazelak - Missouri -> Indiana
Michael Penix Jr - Indiana -> Washington
Zach Calzada - Texas A&M -> Auburn
Adrian Martinez - Nebraska -> Kansas State
Casey Thompson - Texas -> Nebraska
Jack Miller - Ohio State -> Florida
Charlie Brewer - Utah -> Liberty
Tommy DeVito - Syracuse -> Illinois
Levi Williams - Wyoming -> Utah State
Chevan Cordero - Hawaii -> San Jose State
Ta'Quan Roberson - Penn State -> UConn
Zach Gibson - Akron -> Georgia Tech

Caleb Williams - Oklahoma -> ???
Emory Jones - Florida -> ??? (not official yet - could stay at UF)
Taisun Phommachanh - Clemson -> ???
Cameron Ward - Incarnate Word -> ???
Chubba Purdy - Florida State -> ???
Harrison Bailey - Tennessee -> ???
Braxton Burmeister - Virginia Tech -> ???
Malik Hornsby - Arkansas -> ???
Robby Ashford - Oregon -> ???
John Rhys Plumlee - Ole Miss -> ???
Jarret Doege - West Virginia -> ???
Gunnar Holmberg - Duke -> ???
Jacob Rodriguez - Virginia -> ???
Deuce Hogan - Iowa -> ???
Jordan Yates - Georgia Tech -> ???
Jack Plummer - Purdue -> ???
Peter Costelli - Utah -> ???

Cam Ward is going to be a significant shoe to drop. He's a supremely talented QB. Has some mechanical issues to clean up, but he'll be on NFL radars. I'm surprised Harrison Bailey hasn't gotten a lot of interest. Felt like he showed some potential as a true freshman. 

• Like 1