Transfer Portal 2021-2022 Edition

Texansfan713

13 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

🙏🏻

Yeah will see just how good Caleb Williams really is at throwing the football, last year he was suspect at times but now has a big time weapon.  Addison obviously helps USC greatly, but helps further prove what is going on behind the scenes.  Nick Saban is correct, players are being bought now by boosters and it is pretty nuts.  Granted Bryce Young got a ton last year for Bama and he never even played yet so there is that.  Still what Saban said would happen with the playoff happened, and now with NIL money same thing is happening the great programs are getting even better and the smaller ones do not have the boosters to pay up to get the best players....

The exact thing college athletics always was protecting against is now totally fair game, all a millionaire booster (hell billionaire booster) has to do is say they are signing a player to a NIL deal, have them post some stupid thing on their stupid social media or do an interview and there you go.

Jimbo acts all innocent and says he did nothing wrong, but last year when NIL started Spiller and another average Texas A&M player were both paid $30,000 each to do a short less than 30 minute interview for a website.  It is insane and sure maybe $30 million was not paid to the recruits they got this past year roughly but would not be surprise if there is a ton of truth to that.  

Odd Saban did say that publicly, and sure A&M will be good next year but they lost their entire front four basically on defense which will matter a ton and some solid LBs, the DBs are good sure but the QB is still a pretty big question along with their lack of star power at WR.  Bama has the best team in the nation by far but maybe Saban is getting worried teams can catch up and have a more wealthy booster base which A&M does have.  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would anyone who isn't a fan of the SEC, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Oregon or USC be happy with the current NIL system?

A) Every school has inordinately wealthy boosters, the field is exactly the same as it was with even more baseline levels of open ended ability to get guys now that you can pay them straight up. B) Kids should be paid, the NCAA had every chance to do better, it didn't, oh well, crying over it isn't gonna change anything especially when it hasn't changed the sport in any meaningfully broad way anyway. The NCAA and the conferences especially never "protected" anybody from anything. $30M is a drop in the bucket for the value these kids bring in comparatively, and it's once again especially rich coming from Nick Saban, the man who's the entire reason the NIL exists because he was shepparding his boosters to pay over $100M a year for a decade for players.

• Like 1

Relitigating this stupid *** thing every single time is pointless and just speaks to sour grapes. Newsflash, your school was never going to compete anyway, the NCAA and the conferences and all these schools had every single chance to do this in a better, more competitively aligned way by just acknowledging the reality that it's not 1975 anymore and the game is in effect, a professional feeder league for the NFL/a money maker for the universities. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The exact thing college athletics always was protecting against is now totally fair game, all a millionaire booster (hell billionaire booster) has to do is say they are signing a player to a NIL deal, have them post some stupid thing on their stupid social media or do an interview and there you go.

are you ignorant or just dumb, because

a) college football and basketball players were getting paid 30 years ago, 15 years ago, they're getting paid now, and they will be getting paid for as long college football and basketball exist

and 

b) yes that's how advertising and nil deals work

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

A) Every school has inordinately wealthy boosters, the field is exactly the same as it was with even more baseline levels of open ended ability to get guys now that you can pay them straight up. B) Kids should be paid, the NCAA had every chance to do better, it didn't, oh well, crying over it isn't gonna change anything especially when it hasn't changed the sport in any meaningfully broad way anyway. The NCAA and the conferences especially never "protected" anybody from anything. $30M is a drop in the bucket for the value these kids bring in comparatively, and it's once again especially rich coming from Nick Saban, the man who's the entire reason the NIL exists because he was shepparding his boosters to pay over $100M a year for a decade for players.

I'm not griping over the recruiting side of it, or changing the competitive balance because that system already excluded 98% of teams anyway. Nothing's changed.

This Addison thing is BS though. If I'm any team right now I'm meeting with my lawyers to determine the legalities of these NIL deals coming with a non compete. You can sign as many NIL deals as you want on my campus, but leave and enter the portal and you can't sign a single new NIL deal for 4 years.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

This Addison thing is BS though. If I'm any team right now I'm meeting with my lawyers to determine the legalities of these NIL deals coming with a non compete. You can sign as many NIL deals as you want on my campus, but leave and enter the portal and you can't sign a single new NIL deal for 4 years.

I don't think Pitt the university or the coaching staff is getting screwed, even though they can be as mad as they want.

But I agree with you that ultimately, a product where everyone can constantly move is going to be bad long term for fan engagement. The next time Pitt gets a Larry Fitzgerald or Jordan Addison, the fans are going to immediately start wishing them luck at a bigger school. Instead of having those brief 3-4 year stints that can help spark program growth, rivalries, all that stuff that is "classic CFB". That promotes apathy, and eventually people will go from watching apathetically to not watching at all.

But for the non-competes, even if the would be enforceable, the problem you have is that truly elite recruits are more rare than the schools recruiting them. They have leverage, so they won't sign stuff like that. And if they're willing to agree with it, it's because they don't have options. You would end up with a class full of bad players, and you're stuck paying them for the full 4/5 years.

• Like 3