Rams trade for Von Miller

Blackstar12

Nice to get Von, especially since The Rams are in prime position to win a SB this year. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be thrilled that my team gave up a 2 and 3 on a one year rental. This isn’t a slam dunk either, Von hasn’t exactly been consistently healthy lately. Paired with Donald, though, that can be deadly. I like the Rams being Uber aggressive, but it’s really all or nothing at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Nice to get Von, especially since The Rams are in prime position to win a SB this year. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be thrilled that my team gave up a 2 and 3 on a one year rental. This isn’t a slam dunk either, Von hasn’t exactly been consistently healthy lately. Paired with Donald, though, that can be deadly. I like the Rams being Uber aggressive, but it’s really all or nothing at this point. 

We have a history of a pretty solid rotation at Edge. He won't be expected to play 90% of snaps or more. Obo and Lewis have been good in rotation with Floyd for the 3 spots I think they'll be happy with the 4 man rotation the rest of the way. He'll get his rest for sure. And McVay and Snead both made the comment after the Stafford trade it's not about winning trades or the off season it's about winning a title.

Edited by NVRamsFan

19 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

We won't resign him or at least I'd be shocked if we even attempted to for something less than peanuts. Justin Hollins was starting opposite Floyd and playing great. Since Hollins went out it's been a rotation of Obo and T Lewis both of which have been solid but not spectacular. I seriously doubt we make an effort to sign him this is a 1 year rental. Snead will take the 5th round comp and use one of the comps we get on a talented edge in college who fell because of an injury history and make it work. Or use a couple million to sign a vet. We also had a 7th round pick that shined in camp and preseason in Chris Garrett that is just riding the inactive list week to week. My biggest thing is these young Edge guys we have learning from Von and we already have a very good DL coach in Eric Henderson

This follows my rule of one but not both of either overpay with draft compensation or over pay with cap space.  But that is too much draft compensation for a 1 year rental.  

The problem for the rams is if they get a key injury in the next couple years, they will have no ammo to solve the problem with.  It is a bad move if you care about the long term, but hey, if my team was potentially a player away from a superbowl I might be applauding this move.  

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you're going to trade your 2 draft haul for only half a season guaranteed, Von Miller is a guy you trade it for.

The reality is that DEN has had no one else but Miller - so teams have figured out that they simply needed to chip him, or flat out double-team him, to neutralize him.  No one else stepped up while he played (Jonathan Cooper flashed in the 2H of the CLE game, but Miller was out by then).  But Miller's still got it - he wins in pass rush, and in run stoppage, and he still does it even with double-teams.   You don't have to take my word on it - metrically, take a look at the Week 1-7 data:

Now, pair him up with Aaron Donald...

Translation - this is one scaring front 4 now.   And given the LAR issues in pass coverage with the departure of John Johnson & Troy Hill, this is game-changing kind of move they needed.

As for DEN, we weren't going to be able to keep him next offseason - simply because the lure of playing on a better team was so hard to resist.  Von said all the right things, but in the end, much like JJ Watt, watching us play, it was becoming clear to me (and I think most sane Broncos fans) that Von staying was going to be tough.   Make no mistake - we're not THAT far away from being a legit contender - but the thing we're missing the most on O - QB - is also the hardest to find (we need better IOL & RT play from our young guys, but honestly, I think that's still soon to write off with who we have there).   That and the fact we'll be starting with a new HC / OC, well I can see why it wouldn't be appealing for Von himself to stay.

Having said that, a 2nd/3rd is a great return.  And yes, covering 9M of the 9.7M left makes it work.  It also explains the Kenny Young trade, the Rams needed every $ saved to make this work.   GM Paton's greatest work is still ahead - because if you don't get the QB (maybe not the draft, maybe it's Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rodgers next year) - then it's all for naught.   But if we get the QB with this draft capital as a part of the package, then it's even better for us in the long run. 

I'd love to see the Rams make it out of the NFC, and if it's not a LA-LA matchup, I'll root hard for LAR.   But then I'll hope DEN & LAR can meet up in 2023 in Von's last year (one can dream right?  right?).    Until then, I'll pour one out for one of our top 3 all-time players, and wish him well in LAR.

On a side note, so much for Chase Young having a terrible season, that meets my eye test on him, he's still disruptive as hell.

Kansas City should just punt this season now. Trade Tyrann Matthieu, Mecole Hardman, and Jarran Reed for a 3rd. 4th, and 5th rd pick. Double up in the mid rounds and get comp picks out of Frank Clark and eric Bienemy after the year and  draft all defense and be set up to dominate the next 10 years with Mahomes on a baseball contract.

1 minute ago, Kirill said:

Kansas City should just punt this season now. Trade Tyrann Matthieu, Mecole Hardman, and Jarran Reed for a 3rd. 4th, and 5th rd pick. Double up in the mid rounds and get comp picks out of Frank Clark and eric Bienemy after the year and  draft all defense and be set up to dominate the next 10 years with Mahomes on a baseball contract.

How has the defensive drafting under Veach been? I don't think trading the little talent on that defense away will help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

This follows my rule of one but not both of either overpay with draft compensation or over pay with cap space.  But that is too much draft compensation for a 1 year rental.  

The problem for the rams is if they get a key injury in the next couple years, they will have no ammo to solve the problem with.  It is a bad move if you care about the long term, but hey, if my team was potentially a player away from a superbowl I might be applauding this move.  

Sorry but a key injury to any of the contenders and the same thing happens. We may have overpaid with draft picks but we did that so they paid the salary so we didn't overpay in salary. The Rams had 10 picks before this trade and about $5 million in cap space. Overpaying a couple draft picks and still coming out with 8 picks in a 7 round draft is the obvious answer.

Apologies if this was mentioned b4 - but last week's trade with Kenny Young going to DEN for a late rd pick swap makes a lot of sense now.   Even that small financial gain gave the Rams enough room to take on Von's extra 700K salary.  

Obviously it's not league-approved, but you wonder if LAR & DEN did the Young deal last week as a precursor to this deal.   I realize that Ernest Jones, their rookie ILB, is ready for more snaps.    But you don't deal away depth as a contender - unless you need the $ to make room for a guy like Von (and yes, even at 700K, the Rams needed to make room - still have 3M left to work with now that DEN took on 9M of the 9.7M that Miller had due - so wonder if there's another move coming - CB/S help?).

In that context, GM Paton's return of taking 9M of 9.7M left for Miller, Von himself and a 2022 6th for LAR's 2nd, 3rd & 7th round picks plus Kenny Young makes even more sense for both sides given the financial necessity in LAR, and increasing DEN's future return.  Of course neither GM would admit it, but you have to wonder if there were handshake deals consummated last week, with an agreement to deal Young & pick swap (just in case Young gets hurt, and loses all value, for example, and 1 more week to get good medicals on Von's recovery).  It also certainly adds context to Miller saying he felt a LOT better, but only practicing on the side, and being a GD inactive.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

How has the defensive drafting under Veach been? I don't think trading the little talent on that defense away will help.

Ljarius sneed Nick bolton and Juan Thornhill have been great. Were still going to have Chris Jones. Mike danna is a decent but we just need to draft an elite pass rusher now and sign a cheap replacement for Tyrann Matthieu and we’ll be fine. The defense will get better. 2nd round rookie Nick Bolton is one of the best MLB in the league already.

Edited by Kirill

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

I understand the things Sean McVay and the Rams are doing have you excited as a fan. Just understand that these moves have far reaching consequences that take years do develop and settle in. You’re putting all of your chips in one basket which is the right now. It’s gambler mode. 

that’s still a beatable team even with Von Miller. None of your weapons on offense are elite. 

They’ve been saying this since we traded a haul for Goff. Name a sick as player drafted with those picks! Name me a player the jags have drafted worth a dam. So on and on. I hate that, it’s been 5 years and we’ve shown no sign of regression. Look at the chiefs breaking down and they have had all their picks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

They’ve been saying this since we traded a haul for Goff. Name a sick as player drafted with those picks! Name me a player the jags have drafted worth a dam. So on and on. I hate that, it’s been 5 years and we’ve shown no sign of regression. Look at the chiefs breaking down and they have had all their picks. 

Veterans are overrated. This is true in the workplace as well, young guys are cheaper and generally more productive. 

The trades the Rams are doing have consequences they just haven’t been shown yet. It will take years to see the consequences of these decisions.

your team has overrated talent and no future in the name of draft picks. Good luck. Your team is like mark wahlberg in the gambler.

Edited by Kirill

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In that context, GM Paton's return of taking 9M of 9.7M left for Miller, Von himself and a 2022 6th for LAR's 2nd, 3rd & 7th round picks plus Kenny Young makes even more sense for both sides given the financial necessity in LAR, and increasing DEN's future return.  Of course neither GM would admit it, but you have to wonder if there were handshake deals consummated last week, with an agreement to deal Young & pick swap (just in case Young gets hurt, and loses all value, for example, and 1 more week to get good medicals on Von's recovery).  It also certainly adds context to Miller saying he felt a LOT better, but only practicing on the side, and being a GD inactive.

I was just saying on another Rams board I think if Von was ready to go this week it was all one trade.