Rams trade for Von Miller

Blackstar12

24 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

It amazes me how well the Rams FO has been over the years and finding late round players who contribute, Makes me wonder A BIT if they will hit a wall a bit because they lost Brad Holmes or how much influence he had with the Rams draft picks but I love what they do, They know what they have and thats a legit SB window and contending roster and they arent to go after it

Its like a baseball team willing to trade their top prospects to get a starting pitcher or a closer to make a run and the pennant

If I'm being honest, I'm expecting a bit of regression being that Brad Holmes was the guy who typically handled the Day 3 stuffs for a number of years and he's now the GM in Detroit (so there's an expectation that not only will the void exist of him not being there, but direct competition for the type of guys that he'd have been coveting from the pool of draftable rookies).

One thing that hasn't been discussed is that this is a front office that doesn't appear afraid of trying to execute new paradigms in order to exploit market inefficiencies.  Our defensive unit as a whole is, not too arguably, propped up by the star talent on it, but given that hiring McVay/Shanahan assistants is still the flavor of the week and that enough mediocrely-run franchises still just seem to perpetually hire the coordinators off of deep-run playoff teams, it would behoove the team to do everything they can to make Raheem Morris as shiny a head coaching hire prospect as possible (via artificial inflation due to high-end talent, but shiny all the same), because of the new amendment put in place last offseason with regard to compensatory picks awarded for losing assistants/coordinators of color to promotional hires.  The precedent set thus far is an immediate 3rd round comp pick plus future 3rd rd comp picks in the successive two years for minority candidates hired off a coaching staff into HC positions.  In short, if Von aids in Morris getting hired for his second go-round as a HC, he ends up off-setting his own cost to only a 2nd round pick, while also adding to the kiddy of future comp picks by (2) 3rd's and whatever (likely 5th) he nets the team himself if/when he leaves in FA.  it's definitely a gamble and not guaranteed to succeed, but it's not without payout.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

The guy's a FA at the end of the year and the Broncos are going nowhere. Why wouldn't you like it for the Broncos?

He's your best player, by far, and you aren't getting a quality return for it. Yeah, he's a FA, but it's not like you don't have the cap space.

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That works out fine for a top heavy team like the Rams - you need to have a bevy of low-cost players to balance out the top half of the cap.
And the best place to find cheap labor is with a surplus of 4th -7th picks. I guess there will be a limited middle class in LA going forward - lots of players at the top and bottom, but only a few mid-range vets in between.

This is why this won't work over the long term. The pecking order is too established with such a high cap number going to Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, and Miller. Theres no incentive for anybody else to play hard unless it's to earn a payday from a different team. This takes away the power McVay holds as a coach.

But... on the heels of the JJ Watt injury news for Arizona, this feels like a winning chess move. It's just incredibly short sighted. Championship or bust now for LA.

18 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Les Snead does not like the draft, like at all. 

He likes it enough to have 7 or 8 picks next year as it stands right now. I’d say that’s pretty good. Now if you said he doesn’t like picks before the comp picks start you would have a point.

11 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Honestly smart. If you win 1 or 2 Super Bowls who really cares. Even if you get fired you are a legend.

Les Snead isn't afraid to fail. 

If anything this moves is in desperation to show his abandonment of the NFL draft method works. They have to win the SB this year! So going all in no matter the cost makes sense even more.

He's taking a NBA (Big 3 type approach) and applying it to the NFL. Whether it results in a SB Champion with a 53 man roster remains to be seen?

I do applaud his effort though. I'd too would rather go with the "Known" then the crapshoot of a NFL draft and missing on Rookies too. Dream Team Baby. Guess we'll see?

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This is why this won't work over the long term. The pecking order is too established with such a high cap number going to Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, and Miller. Theres no incentive for anybody else to play hard unless it's to earn a payday from a different team. This takes away the power McVay holds as a coach.

Sorry but that may be one of the worst things you’ve ever said around here. I’m using that phrase so @ET80doesn't have to censor me. You think the other 49 guys on the roster won’t play hard now because they’re one of the super bowl favorites….. Give Krusty back his clown shoes please, stealing is wrong.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Sorry but that may be one of the worst things you’ve ever said around here. I’m using that phrase so @ET80doesn't have to censor me. You think the other 49 guys on the roster won’t play hard now because they’re one of the super bowl favorites….. Give Krusty back his clown shoes please, stealing is wrong.

Congratulations on getting Von Miller. I'll leave it at that. Theres no talking sense into Rams fans today.