Random Thoughts

dll2000

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

https://football.dumcoach.com/forum/

This place is a great place to talk to youth coaches.   Some guys have been doing it for decades.

This is a new website, the old one got taken down as that guy retired I think.

Most of guys are good dudes who know a little, but have been through the parent grind a million times.  They do it for fun and love coaching.   They can offer some good advise for guys doing the circuit of years as their kid goes through.  

There is an old coach on there with screen name MHcoach.   His name is Joe.    He is a FL HS coach somewhere now, but still helps out youth coaches who ask.   Especially in offseason.   

He knows everything about football.  Everything and its frickin origin.    Pick his brain if you really want to become a good coach.

I spent hours speaking with him and every minute was worth it.   There was another old guy too was buddies with Joe Gibbs, can't remember his name.  Cantankerous dude, but knew his stuff.   He isn't on there anymore.   Joe is still around though I think.   

Also Glazier clinics offer their stuff free to youth coaches.   Or they used to.   Take advantage of it.   Lots of top pro, college and HS coaches have stuff in there.

When they have them in person you should go.  You get to meet lots of cool coaches.  I got invited to all kinds of things just because I spoke up after a lecture or went up just started chatting with folks.   

Like college spring practice, meetings, things like that.  Couldn't ever go because I had a young family and worked a lot of hours, but offers were awesome.   

If I had it do over again I would have done the coaching grind rather than go to law school.  But bills to pay and mouths to feed and all that. 

Thats awesome, thank you!

Back when I was a senior in 2006 I had the chance to email Billy Gonzales from University of Florida, I wanted to do anything I could to be an assistant there and just be around the team. Hopefully after graduating I could have been a graduate assistant there or somewhere else. Being able to say you watched 4 years of practice and took on small roles under Urban Meyer would have had to have to have some serious weight behind it.

Ended up choosing to stay close to home and play D3 since I never could compete at that level, wish I had taken the chance and gone though. National Championships, Rose Bowl, etc and then in basketball they won back to back titles during the 4 years I would have been there. Just would have been awesome. Hell, I might be a Jags assistant right now so @Uncle Buck would adore me even more than he already does.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I have vacation starting this morning after my shift. But Wednesday my Tech Services Division Manager tells me he is coming in Thursday - normally you get a week's notice to be audit ready! So I have a full on audit that makes a HUGE impact on my bonus, my promotion opportunities over the next 6-12 months, and rates me in the position I'm in across the country. There's only 15 of my position in the whole company so I reviewed all the quarter's paperwork, and me and my Site Manager had to spend that night and the next morning fixing almost everything our Supervisors messed up.

We got a 94/100! The previous scores were 76, 85, and 83. The two corrective actions are literally things that we can fix in one shift. That puts me at 3rd out of the 15, and both the plants that beat me have less than half the employees I have, plus they have 3+ years in their positions. I'm freaking out! Already got emails from my VP and Sr VP congratulating me and my Site Manager. Holy **** these two miserable days were totally worth it.

• Like 6

On 6/5/2021 at 8:03 AM, soulman said:

Eat your hearts out Cubbie Fans.  These SOX unis are slicker than hell. 😁

CT_IC_1014459170_1014497470_001-0606_ke-city-connect-uniforms_3.jpg

Sox fans always thinking about Cubs fans.

Like a jealous girl of her pretty sister.  Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sox fans always thinking about Cubs fans.

Like a jealous girl of her pretty sister.  Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I've never hated the Cubs but as a born and bred Southsider the SOX have always taken the top spot.  That said why would I ever be jealous of the Cubs.  I like to see both teams do well and a City Series would be like a dream come true.

But those uni's are the cat's ***.  While the Cubs stick with their more traditional look the SOX pushed the envelope and it's actually the Cub fans only who are expressing some jealousy from what I can see. Tell 'em to a get a "Northsider" version.  Haha.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:11 AM, Sugashane said:

So I have vacation starting this morning after my shift. But Wednesday my Tech Services Division Manager tells me he is coming in Thursday - normally you get a week's notice to be audit ready! So I have a full on audit that makes a HUGE impact on my bonus, my promotion opportunities over the next 6-12 months, and rates me in the position I'm in across the country. There's only 15 of my position in the whole company so I reviewed all the quarter's paperwork, and me and my Site Manager had to spend that night and the next morning fixing almost everything our Supervisors messed up.

We got a 94/100! The previous scores were 76, 85, and 83. The two corrective actions are literally things that we can fix in one shift. That puts me at 3rd out of the 15, and both the plants that beat me have less than half the employees I have, plus they have 3+ years in their positions. I'm freaking out! Already got emails from my VP and Sr VP congratulating me and my Site Manager. Holy **** these two miserable days were totally worth it.

virtual-high-five.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soulman said:

I've never hated the Cubs but as a born and bred Southsider the SOX have always taken the top spot.  That said why would I ever be jealous of the Cubs.  I like to see both teams do well and a City Series would be like a dream come true.

But those uni's are the cat's ***.  While the Cubs stick with their more traditional look the SOX pushed the envelope and it's actually the Cub fans only who are expressing some jealousy from what I can see. Tell 'em to a get a "Northsider" version.  Haha.

They did.. and they're awful :)

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3367478/these-cubs-city-connect-jerseys-are-hilariously-bad

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I remember everyone loving him a few years ago. I don’t pay much attention to baseball what has he done. 

after winning the world series, he started focusing on making money above anything else. he spent billions building up the area around the stadium, but then directed the FO to stop spending essentially. This past year he cried poor and said that the team's money losses have been of "bibilical proportions." again, slashed the roster, forcing the FO to trade their best pitcher for pennies, and leading to the team's other best players to not be signed to long term deals. the family trust bought the team in 2011 for ~$900M and it's worth ~$4B now, but again, no money for players. tickets are now also so stupid expensive that a ton of fans are priced out. i recently flew to cincinnati to see a game because it was cheaper. 

overall - bought the team, team won, used all that goodwill to make him money, and now is crying poor when it comes to paying the players, and is also alienating the fans 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

after winning the world series, he started focusing on making money above anything else. he spent billions building up the area around the stadium, but then directed the FO to stop spending essentially. This past year he cried poor and said that the team's money losses have been of "bibilical proportions." again, slashed the roster, forcing the FO to trade their best pitcher for pennies, and leading to the team's other best players to not be signed to long term deals. the family trust bought the team in 2011 for ~$900M and it's worth ~$4B now, but again, no money for players. tickets are now also so stupid expensive that a ton of fans are priced out. i recently flew to cincinnati to see a game because it was cheaper. 

overall - bought the team, team won, used all that goodwill to make him money, and now is crying poor when it comes to paying the players, and is also alienating the fans 

Bingo.  This is how greedy owners deals with a sports franchise.  I call it franchise carpetbagging.  I also have other reasons for my not liking the Ricketts family.