Should the Seahawks clean house?

notthatbluestuff

On 11/27/2021 at 3:48 PM, Forge said:

It's not easy, but he's 33 years old in 2 days. Heading into his age 34 season, and honestly, I'm not sure how well he's going to age. Their roster isn't set up for a quick turnaround...especially when you consider that they only had 3 picks last year (their highest of which was spent on an overaged, niche receiver),  have no first round pick this year, and have gotten relatively little out of previous high draft picks. At some point, it behooves you to just cash out your equity in Wilson because you're being up front about where your franchise is. They play in arguably the most difficult division in football...the time for trying to build around Wilson may just be done. 

I agree. Carrol needs to hang it up. Great run following Holmgren. He did as well as he could do coming out of USC. One play away from 1st ballot HoF.

Get Lincoln Riley. Otherwise Dan Quinn. Rebuild the defense because it’s such an advantage in that building. You might have to ship Jamal Adams though because he’s been a bust. Full tank next year to acquire capital for 23’ and 24’.

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

I agree. Carrol needs to hang it up. Great run following Holmgren. He did as well as he could do coming out of USC. One play away from 1st ballot HoF.

Get Lincoln Riley. Otherwise Dan Quinn. Rebuild the defense because it’s such an advantage in that building. You might have to ship Jamal Adams though because he’s been a bust. Full tank next year to acquire capital for 23’ and 24’.

Why would Lincoln Riley leave USC to come to the seahawks? 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, Rich7sena said:

What if they swap Wilson for Rodgers? Rodgers gets out of Green Bay and Wilson goes back to Wisconsin.

Don't tease me with this. 

It's honestly difficult to say who is at fault here in Seattle. Maybe it's a little bit of everyone. Russell Wilson generally looks disinterested and I would personally be very motivated to move on from him to recoup draft capital for a rebuild. His style of play is just so boom/bust and really handicaps any Offensive Coordinator that we try to bring in, because Russ rarely operates within the design of the play. As for him being "elite", I just have a hard time handing him that label when he can't even maximize the abilities of his prime WR1. Name me another elite QB that can't utilize their #1 weapon. This is not a play-calling issue. It's not an offensive design issue. Russell either can't or won't get the ball to DK. 

Pete Carroll is getting lapped by these younger coaches. He's gotta be top 5 most conservative coaches in the league as we rarely go for it on 4th down, are bottom in the league in pace of play, and are tops in the league in neutral game run%. For however bad this team is, Pete certainly isn't doing anything to help get more out of them. He also is completely content hiring lame duck Defensive Coordinators who will just be a Yes Man to his vision.  

And then there's John Schneider, who quietly may be the biggest culprit of all. What he's done to this roster should be considered malpractice. The fact Seattle fans have this idea that "we might as well trade our 1st round picks because we can't hit on them" is an insane indictment on a GM tenured for 10+ years. And it's not as if he's just missing on great prospects. He consistently defies consensus opinions on prospects and -- perhaps most notably -- is blatantly misguided when it comes to positional value. He has spent his last four 1st round picks on a box Safety, a run-stopping MLB (we have Bobby Wagner...), a run-stopping DE, and a small school RB. You cannot find me another employed GM with as dreadful and extensive of a 1st round track record as John. And frankly, he's not any better when he trades away those 1st round picks, because then we end up handing huge money to guys like Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, and Jamal Adams. The fact he gave up a king's ransom for a box safety is asinine. The fact they doubled down on their mistake by paying him is infuriating. We will lose Pro Bowl FS Quandre Diggs this season because we opted to pay Jamal. We will likely have to part ways with Bobby Wagner to afford Jamal. The trickle down effect is really frustrating to consider. 

The unfortunate reality is that, beyond some Russell Wilson mega-trade, I don't see us making any major moves this offseason. Pete was just resigned to an extension. John was just resigned to an extension. So we're stuck with what we have. I have very little faith in this regime turning things around, so things will get worse before they get better. This is one of the most talent deprived rosters in the NFL. Sigh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Pete Carroll is getting lapped by these younger coaches. He's gotta be top 5 most conservative coaches in the league as we rarely go for it on 4th down, are bottom in the league in pace of play, and are tops in the league in neutral game run%. For however bad this team is, Pete certainly isn't doing anything to help get more out of them. He also is completely content hiring lame duck Defensive Coordinators who will just be a Yes Man to his vision.  

Just to bring up the stats in case anyone wants a visual here:

we rarely go for it on 4th down

And Seattle has run by far the fewest plays on offense this year, too. Seattle has a lot of problems - lack of talent across the entire roster (specifically on defense) from bad drafting, lack of draft capital, aging center pieces, bad coaching, outdated philosophies, etc.

QBs are expensive, getting Stafford @ 2 1sts & a 3rd + throw-in seems cheap

RWilson taking an injury and having production falling off recently might have his valuation examined again; with a need to determine who's at fault for the decline

he's done the heavy lifting for so long, I don't see anyone else doing the job.

Unless we can fleece another team that wants to throw away their 'Trevor Lawrence' so we can develop them I don't see a QB change in the near future.

If he wants to walk he can.

Nothing but good memories. 

at the very least the rest of the forum can get over their 'Seattle as bandwagoners' hate as the franchise returns to ruin.

Sheesh the way they carry on you'd think we were GB or Denver lucky.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just to bring up the stats in case anyone wants a visual here:

And Seattle has run by far the fewest plays on offense this year, too. Seattle has a lot of problems - lack of talent across the entire roster (specifically on defense) from bad drafting, lack of draft capital, aging center pieces, bad coaching, outdated philosophies, etc.

Well considering 3 of the top 5 are absolutely terrible, that chart doesn't mean a damn thing.

Edited by biggie.

How many teams are going to trade for Wilson at this point? He will be 34 so he isn't a guy you are planning to build around and how many teams are a QB away?

Steeler? Probably more than just a QB. Browns? How much do they have to give up? Broncos? Saints? Don't think they have cap to pay anyone.

While I do think there is a major rebuild coming, I just don't see teams trading away tons to help with the rebuild. Maybe in 4 or 5 years the Seahawks will be relevant again, but I don't see teams seeing players on the current Seahawks' roster as valuable enough to help with the rebuild...

Fire Schneider, convince Pete to retire (or fire him), and then trade Russell Wilson for a bunch of picks. As great as Russ is, it feels like the Seahawks's window is closed. Rebuild the team anew. Take it on the chin next year. And get the picks needed to find your next chapter at QB.

4 hours ago, jofos said:

Steeler? Probably more than just a QB. Browns? How much do they have to give up? Broncos? Saints? Don't think they have cap to pay anyone.

The Saints would make the most sense, I posted one of the trade scenarios someone else suggested that would work with both teams current cap situations.

Seahawks receive:

2022: 1st, 2nd, 4th (picks 15, 46, and 102).

2023: 1st, 2nd, 6th.

CB Marshon Lattimore.

Saints receive:

QB Russell Wilson.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Fire Schneider, convince Pete to retire (or fire him), and then trade Russell Wilson for a bunch of picks. As great as Russ is, it feels like the Seahawks's window is closed. Rebuild the team anew. Take it on the chin next year. And get the picks needed to find your next chapter at QB.

If they trade Russell are they going into full rebuild mode where they'd also look to trade away guys like DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett? 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If they trade Russell are they going into full rebuild mode where they'd also look to trade away guys like DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett? 

Trading Lockett would be counterproductive due to the cap consequences, and I'd consider Metcalf a building block. I'd keep both. I'd probably trade Bobby Wagner, though. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Trading Lockett would be counterproductive due to the cap consequences, and I'd consider Metcalf a building block. I'd keep both. I'd probably trade Bobby Wagner, though. 

DK's an interesting situation because he only has 1 year left on his deal and if the team is completely cleaning house that likely means that he'd have to play that final year with a young QB which isn't really ideal for a player looking to produce in a contract year. There's also a chance that he walks in free agency although I'm assuming they'd just tag him. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DK's an interesting situation because he only has 1 year left on his deal and if the team is completely cleaning house that likely means that he'd have to play that final year with a young QB which isn't really ideal for a player looking to produce in a contract year. There's also a chance that he walks in free agency although I'm assuming they'd just tag him. 

Tag him. Try to convince him to stay. If he won't, trade him at that point.