How concerned should LAR be?

biggie.

44 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But right now Stafford doesn't look right.  Some of his passes yesterday were pretty bad.

The story came out that Stafford is battling back & elbow issues yesterday.  I don't buy the back issues as a new problem - he's had that for the last 2+ years.    But I would buy arm trouble.   He's just missed open guys by a fair amount the last 3 weeks.    

I don't think it's an execution/understanding issue - he was fine until the TEN game.    He's looked completely different.  When that happens, it's usually a physical problem.   Losing Woods was a big deal, but it doesn't explain him missing guys who are open.    Still doesn't make it any less of a concern, though.  

Edited by Broncofan

Somewhere, Jared Goff is saying "See, I'm not the sole thing that was holding the Rams back. I may be stuck on a FAR worse team right now, but I came with a ton of draft ammo. Mid season slumps hit with my replacement, too, Sean." 

And despite the Lions being the worst overall team in the league, he wouldn't be entirely wrong. 

I think Stafford is a better overall QB than Goff. That said, the Rams and McVay really seemed to scapegoat him and his apparent regression over the regular season (Goff also had a tendency to start hot and really start to whither down the stretch) as the run game fell apart and WRs got hurt and he got knocked around. 

The Rams acted like he was the big issue (something many Raiders fans do with Carr as well) and shipped off a ton to get what they deemed a far and away better replacement. And yet, here in November, they're starting to exhibit a lot of the same issues, only now they don't have a whole lot of ammo to look forward to righting the ship with. Seems to me they went all in and it hasn't been the revelation they assumed. 

In that case, I'd start at least looking for a panic button. They're not out of the race for this year, but going forward? They've really put themselves in a bit of a bind in terms of ability to retool and replace key players and needs. I don't really know that we can say they're trending upwards anymore, particularly in the long term outlook.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The story came out that Stafford is battling back & elbow issues yesterday. 

Schefturd tweeted it out because somebody told him/paid him to - as cover for Stafford's crappy, but predictable play. But the Rams didn't have Stafford on any injury reports the weeks prior. So either schefturd is lying ( are his lips moving ? ) or the Rams are in trouble for not being truthful with their injury reports.

Either way, its just more excuse -making for the perennially over-rated Stafford who is, and always will be, a flawed NFL QB who puts up lovely fantasy stats.
The chances of him stringing together 3-4 high quality playoff games needed to win a Title are exactly zero - same as when he was in Detroit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think he's trying to play the "big, strong, tough guy" by denying, but it certainly seems like something is wrong. 

I'm very concerned about his back. His accuracy has been way off since they started talking about him having an issue. That was one of my big concerns with the trade. He had a serious back injury a couple years ago, and back issues are not something to mess with in older football players. I can only hope it isn't a chronic issue.

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Schefturd tweeted it out because somebody told him/paid him to - as cover for Stafford's crappy, but predictable play. But the Rams didn't have Stafford on any injury reports the weeks prior. So either schefturd is lying ( are his lips moving ? ) or the Rams are in trouble for not being truthful with their injury reports.

Either way, its just more excuse -making for the perennially over-rated Stafford who is, and always will be, a flawed NFL QB who puts up lovely fantasy stats.
The chances of him stringing together 3-4 high quality playoff games needed to win a Title are exactly zero - same as when he was in Detroit.

Injury reports are based on practice participation. Stafford's back issue popped up weeks ago, dude.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/11/4/22764514/matthew-stafford-injury-fantasy-football-week-9-rams-vs-titans-john-wolford

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

People don't like the city and franchise in Detroit so all his bad play got passed onto Detroit being awful. If he had the exact same performances in like Minnesota or San Diego people wouldn't be nearly as high up on him