Week 15 General Discussion

Broncofan

2 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Love how the Cowboys are now the #2 seed (and easily could have been #1) and yet no one is talking about them in terms of competing for the top of the NFC. They really might have a chance to steal it. 

Because it's the Cowboys,  we know what occurs come playoff time. 🍺

If ppl want to know why change is coming to DEN, the CIN game key moments with the 4Q drive, and the game management blunders at both halves tell the tale....

Excellent Q.

As for the 1H game management blunders...

That was in the 1H....3rd and 1, 25 secs left, after deciding not to use their 1st time out on 2nd and short at the CIN 45 with 1:00 left (and thus conceding they weren't going to even try for a TD in a 3-3 game), on 3rd and 1, they throw the ball incomplete and then miss a FG, leaving 19 secs left on the clock - when they already stopped trying to go for a TD.   Instead of calling a run to let the clock drain (or use their 2nd TO if they converted),  they leave just enough time with the missed FG for CIN to hit a short pass then a chunk play, and hit a 58 yard FG of their own.  6-pt swing (3-pt deficit instead of 3-pt lead).    

Then in the 2H...with 2:35, 2nd and 8, Joe Mixon is hurt...

Because of the injury, Fangio's last TO is given back to him - and the play clock resets to 25 instead of 40...and then Fangio immediately calls his last TO.   When the Bengals would have had to get a play off before the 2 min warning, leaving it 3rd and long and 2:00 and 1 TO left.  Instead, by calling TO - Fangio then allows CIN to run their 2nd down play with 40 secs left on the play clock after the 2nd down play runs  - which allows the 2 min warning to hit, but no TO's left.   So CIN naturally just runs the ball on 3rd down, runs off the full 40 secs and then punts, draining off 55 secs - of which a TO saves at least 40+ secs.  

We're then left with...

If other fans want to know why DEN fans are calling for Vic Fangio's firing (along with Pat Shurmur) - this is also pretty par for the course in our L's.    And it's been that way for 2 seasons with Shurmur, and game management blunder-city for 3 seasons now with Fangio.

If fans want to know why TeddyB was starting ahead of Drew Lock - it's because those problems are not getting any better after 2+ full offseasons and 2+ seasons.  He's not the answer either.

Don't feel too bad for DEN fans - we won a title in 2015, and our team is putting together a young team that can play and compete - but needs a HC/OC/QB as the key final pieces.....but yeah, it's safe to say they're holding us back in a MASSIVE way...and we're 7-7 despite those 3 areas, not because of it.

Edited by Broncofan

Side note - Chubb's got a great motor and plays hard - but he's getting at least a fine, and this could spark suspension talk.   The fact he didn't get ejected raises this possibility (if you get ejected, then it's a fine and it's over).

Bad look when it happened, can't believe the refs waived it off after discussing it...

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

I can remember at least 4 times in the past where we went into OT and Rodgers never saw the ball.   Our entire OL is full of backups.  With one of our best players out of the middle the DL we made Huntley look like a world beater.

And our entire secondary are literal practice squad callups. I would rather win in regulation (or lose) because of my own decisions than leave it up to a coin toss.

29 minutes ago, HolmesPriest said:

Guess which Conference dun goofed and let the KC Chiefs take over the number 1 seed? 😆

I wish the Chargers had taken just one of the field goals purely for the further insanity the AFC would be in with the Chiefs and Chargers also at 9-5

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

No, the right decision would have been taking the 3 points in the first quarter after their first drive of the game.  

I still don't think going for the touchdown there was bad. There was no way to know we were going to stay competitive throughout the entire game. We were essentially playing with house money, and you're not going to beat Aaron Rodgers by kicking FG's. I loved the aggressiveness and still do - we simply have to execute better on these plays.

2 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

Guess which Conference dun goofed and let the KC Chiefs take over the number 1 seed? 😆

As far as I know, the Chiefs are about as healthy as you could hope for this season. I don't really see why there is a narrative that the AFC goofed and this was the year to knock them out. If they have most of their key pieces when the playoff starts, they are a top threat whether it is the 1 seed or 6 seed. It seems like they have virtually all of them, so this has been a very fortunate season for the Chiefs so far. 

• Like 1