Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

no clue. I'm surprised Steichen isn't getting any looks but Gannon is.

I'm not.  Steichen's CV isn't all that great.  Gannon, while not having a tremendous showing as a DC thus, has the kind of CV that could well lend itself much more strongly to producing a quality HC.

Add another name to the Giants finalist list for GM: Adam Peters is coming to Jersey for a 2nd interview tomorrow.

Beat writers seem to think that he is the final name on the finalist list- it is between Joe Schoen, Ryan Poles, and Adam Peters for the Giants GM job. I'd imagine, depending on how long it takes for a decision from the chosen candidate, we may have an announcement by the weekend of the next GM.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Obviously I can't be sure, but I think the Bears getting deep into the weeds with their head coaching interviews without a GM in place is a no go for some people, including Dodds. A GM should be involved in a head coaching search.

Dodds has also been someone who’s reportedly not that obsessed with becoming a GM. He’s backed out of GM opportunities before and seems to be perfectly fine being second in command/just sticking to scouting.

Wouldn’t shock me if he stayed in Indy through the openings again.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Will Chris Mara still be in the personnel department?

I'm taking that tweet to mean that his removal from the personnel department is on the table, but I don't know for sure. He is taking part in these GM interviews. It just can't be good process to have a guy, who is part of ownership, take part in deciding who he will report to. Ideally, he steps away from the personnel department and just does whatever it is owners do. He's mostly just doing his 'scouting' for fun now anyway; according to John Mara, Chris has no authority over the GM when it comes to personnel decision and just does little special projects. The funny thing is that, from all sources, Chris Mara is actually a good talent evaluator, but just the power dynamic there has to be a problem.

Giants fans have been harping on this all season. The Maras need to pick a side: either go full Jerry Jones and be forthcoming that you are making personnel decisions to take the blame and glory, or step back and be owners.

All in all, I'm not as concerned about the optics of that whole thing as a lot of other Giants fans are. The Giants are a family organization and always will be, that's just how they are. I don't care if Chris Mara is still whatever in the personnel department or John hires his nephew to be a scout. As long as it is made very clear to the new GM that he has authority over all of them and there will be no conflicts as a result of family ties, and there aren't any actual conflicts, it's fine. Regardless of what title Chris Mara holds, he's still a stupid rich owner of a professional football team. He left in the middle of the 2015 draft to go watch a horse race for god sakes. He really doesn't hold any power in the personnel decisions; he's just an owner who wants to feel important. Give these lunatics whatever title they need to feel important, but leave the decisions to the guys who actually should be making the decisions.

• Like 1