How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

At the moment, Kamara is slightly above what Sproles has been for them.  

My God. 

Why do people who don't watch Kamara feel the need to always comment on him and make this silly comparison?  Alvin is NOTHING like Darren Sproles.  He's bigger, a much better runner, and a better all-around receiver.  They just played for the same head coach.  That's it.

The Saints and are playing the Panthers on national TV this Sunday as the late afternoon Fox game.  I would suggest watching that game and seeing Alvin in action.  Maybe then you won't make such a silly comparison.

I love Fournette. I took him in almost every fantasy league and knew he'd be a stud in the NFL, but Kamara is playing better right now and its by a pretty wide margin. Fournette has a mediocre YPC (4.1) which can be partially blamed to an ineffective passing game and an average OL, but he's been very cold as of late.

Kamara is on absolute fire right now. At this pace he will finish with more yards rushing/receiving than Fournette, more TDs and a much higher YPC. I think Kamara is starting to take the lead/pull away with OROY right now AND he's doing all this while sharing carries with a likely Pro Bowl HB in Mark Ingram...Crazy impressive.

52 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I love Fournette. I took him in almost every fantasy league and knew he'd be a stud in the NFL, but Kamara is playing better right now and its by a pretty wide margin. Fournette has a mediocre YPC (4.1) which can be partially blamed to an ineffective passing game and an average OL, but he's been very cold as of late.

Kamara is on absolute fire right now. At this pace he will finish with more yards rushing/receiving than Fournette, more TDs and a much higher YPC. I think Kamara is starting to take the lead/pull away with OROY right now AND he's doing all this while sharing carries with a likely Pro Bowl HB in Mark Ingram...Crazy impressive.

And because Fournette is the focal point of Jacksonville's offense when he plays and defenses know it.

I read that Kamara has only seen 8 men in the box on runs of his 20% of the time. Whereas Fournette, IIRC, was upwards of 55%+. 

YPC shouldn't be the main argument for Kamara over Fournette. It should be how Kamara has shown he can literally do almost everything you want a RB to do, whereas Fournette is struggling with even more basic assignments like pass protection. 

3 hours ago, VanS said:

I don't know why you keep trying to diminish Alvin Kamara?  Is it because you weren't high on him before the draft and you don't wanna believe he's actually this good?

I am trying to "diminish" Kamara for the same reasons I tried to "diminish" rookie Suh when people claimed he was the next Reggie White.

I wasn't high on him before the draft? That's news to me. I drafted him with the third pick of the third round in my Expansion Sim (I conducted my draft real time with the NFL Draft and drafted guys based on who was available IRL). I'm not known for drafting guys whom I don't like. In fact, I wrote a short blurb on him after the Draft:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=575870&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Fact is that I have an incentive to hype Kamara because it makes me look good for drafting him. If you want to know the best reason why I have to play wet blanket, take a look in the mirror.

37 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

Am I the only person who sees a lot of Brian Westbrook in Kamara's game?

A bigger Westbrook, yeah. See that a lot in him.

EDIT - I'd actually compare him to a healthy/prime Jamaal Charles. Smooth runner with an extra gear once he finds an opening. Gets open on pass routes with his quickness out of his cut, catches the ball well.

He's a special player, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, BAConrad said:

I read that Kamara has only seen 8 men in the box on runs of his 20% of the time. Whereas Fournette, IIRC, was upwards of 55%+. 

That’s fair. I wonder how many times an 8-Man box has shown up to stop Kamara and Brees just audibled to a pass (possibly to Kamara on a motion or screen) instead.

It’s definitely a valid poInt, but I can’t ding Kamara too much for playing with a smarter QB.  I do understand how that’s an argument for why Kamara’s numbers are inflated, I just don’t think it’s enough of a reason to put Fournette over Kamara.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

That’s fair. I wonder how many times an 8-Man box has shown up to stop Kamara and Brees just audibled to a pass (possibly to Kamara on a motion or screen) instead.

It’s definitely a valid poInt, but I can’t ding Kamara too much for playing with a smarter QB.  I do understand how that’s an argument for why Kamara’s numbers are inflated, I just don’t think it’s enough of a reason to put Fournette over Kamara.

Neither do I..

I only brought it up to counter the YPC discrepancy.  

Kamara  has 1,094 of the Saints 4,503 yards, and 9 of their 32 TDs. That's 24.3% of the Saints yards and 28.1% of their offensive points.

Fournette has 938 of the Jags 3,840 yards and 7 of their 23 TDs. That's 24.4% of the Jaguars yards and 30.4% of their offensive points.

I understand there are better weapons around Kamara, but he's every bit a "focal point" to his offense as Fournette is to the Jags at this point. Teams are game planning against him, and when they forget to take him into account he makes huge plays. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reuben Foster won defensive rookie of the month for November. He's a beast and is going to be a great player....if he can just stay healthy. I don't know if he'll be able to, but the guy is a stud. 

Yeah he's super talented. A few Saints fans wanted him to pair up with AJ Klein, but we ended up with Anzalone and he looks like he'll turn into a starter for us if he can stay healthy like Foster has(so far he can't) so it's not all bad... 

No way the Saints were going to take a chance on another LB that's shown he can be a bit of a knucklehead. Payton's still picking at that Galette scab. 

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

Am I the only person who sees a lot of Brian Westbrook in Kamara's game?

No, that is a good comparison. Outside of being a quality punt return man, which Westbrook was, Kamara is dual threat threat just like BWest. Same hight, though Kamara is listed as about 10-15 pounds heavier. Similar smooth running style who started career as 3rd down back but is too valuable to keep off the field on early downs. 

Archived