Week 18 (SNF) Chargers: (9-7) at Raiders (9-7)

NYRaider

Playoff Bound  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Styrian Raider said:

I noticed that as well. Imho the safety Blitz from Moehrig against Indy was a good play that i would like to see more often.

Herbert picked us apart in our first meeting, hopefully Gus doesn't just stick to his scheme and is more willing to send out different looks to try and catch them off guard.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Herbert picked us apart in our first meeting, hopefully Gus doesn't just stick to his scheme and is more willing to send out different looks to try and catch them off guard.

He needs to build a game plan based on what’s worked against the chargers. There are some games where they really struggled offensively.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

He needs to build a game plan based on what’s worked against the chargers. There are some games where they really struggled offensively.

I think the biggest thing is going to be forcing turnovers. In the games that they've lost they've averaged almost 2 turnovers per game. 

Losing Drake, Waller, Ruggs and our main offensive planner (Gruden)....it's no wonder why we have trouble putting up more than 20 points a game. Have to re-plan our enire offensive strategy or expect lesser players to fill those rolls.  It seems to me that the team is finding a new offensive identity, slowly, and granted not as good as prior. But hopefully its enough to carry us another game against the chargers or god forbid 2 games. I have faith that we still have a good foundation to build on and next year we should be better barring a complete overhaul in staff and players. 

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

Losing Drake, Waller, Ruggs and our main offensive planner (Gruden)....it's no wonder why we have trouble putting up more than 20 points a game. Have to re-plan our enire offensive strategy or expect lesser players to fill those rolls.  It seems to me that the team is finding a new offensive identity, slowly, and granted not as good as prior. But hopefully its enough to carry us another game against the chargers or god forbid 2 games. I have faith that we still have a good foundation to build on and next year we should be better barring a complete overhaul in staff and players. 

Yep, it can't be overstated enough.  This team is an average, 8-8 kinda team the last few years without special talent.  We saw a glimpse of what we could be early this year. 

As much as we bag on Gruden, he built a solid foundation on Offense and was trying to elevate it further.  Even defense was being addressed with a new DC, scheme, and players.  

Can't help, but think we'd be 12-4 right now just by beating WFT, Giants, and Bears.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Chargers are not great against the run. The Raiders run offense has quietly been better in recent weeks. If they can keep that up and keep themselves in 3rd and short, they win this game. 

Time for Jacobs to earn his money. He's been playing well the last couple of weeks. I think he will have a resurgent year next year too when the line gets better.

• Like 1

I have been following the discourse around this game and it seems like football media really really loves the Chargers. I mean, they love them some Herbert and Staley--they can do no wrong. If the Chargers lose there will be no shortage of excuse making for them, but it will satisfy me to no end. I tend not to listen to Move the Sticks because I find their analysis to be reductive, but I tuned in to listen to their game preview. They really think these are two even teams with the only thing separating them being the quarterbacks. There was a fair amount of Carr slander, too (which, I know appeals to a few of you on this forum). Anyways, heads up if anyone wants to hate-listen.