• GDT - Wild Card Round || 49ers @ Cowboys •

WizardHawk

49ers rank 7th in rushing yards and 17th in yards per carry. While we’ve been a pretty average run defense.

What am I missing here? Obviously 49ers are a good team, or they wouldn’t be in the playoffs. But there seems to be an inordinate amount of angst over facing a pretty good rushing attack in a passing league. 

10 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

49ers rank 7th in rushing yards and 17th in yards per carry. While we’ve been a pretty average run defense.

What am I missing here? Obviously 49ers are a good team, or they wouldn’t be in the playoffs. But there seems to be an inordinate amount of angst over facing a pretty good rushing attack in a passing league. 

Maybe more specifics on outside zone, counters and jet sweeps would be of note here? Arizona seemed to exploit us by attacking our edge rushers’ aggressiveness. Obviously a ton of that is Kyler, who no one else has, but Deebo is a uniquely bad matchup for basically everyone. And I don’t see us shutting down Kittle quite like the Rams did.

Think it’s mostly the pedigree that instills fear. They still have most of their core intact that made the SB two years ago. Strong line play. Dallas, on the other hand, has a better roster than pretty much anyone we go up against (going to finish #1 in total DVOA). It’s just a matter of execution. Not getting off to slow starts, as we often have in big games. We should win, so long as the offense plays up to its ability.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Maybe more specifics on outside zone, counters and jet sweeps would be of note here? Arizona seemed to exploit us by attacking our edge rushers’ aggressiveness. Obviously a ton of that is Kyler, who no one else has, but Deebo is a uniquely bad matchup for basically everyone. And I don’t see us shutting down Kittle quite like the Rams did.

Think it’s mostly the pedigree that instills fear. They still have most of their core intact that made the SB two years ago. Strong line play. Dallas, on the other hand, has a better roster than pretty much anyone we go up against (going to finish #1 in total DVOA). It’s just a matter of execution. Not getting off to slow starts, as we often have in big games. We should win, so long as the offense plays up to its ability.

agreed on ARI game plan to attack our edge.  that's where LVE failed imo.  he NEEDS to make those tackles and he just isn't.  hence, the gapping holes that were present.  i think Parsons back will obviously help, but LVE needs to step the F up.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I agree with all of this. But no one mentioned being worried about SF before they were our matchup, then suddenly everyone is terrified of them. Like, what team was everyone expecting to play? They drew the matchup with the quarterback who has 7TDs to 7INTs with 13 sacks in the last 6 games.

I agree that they will stress our defense. But if these guys are too tough a task for Dallas, then Tampa and GB are impossible.

I, for one, am thrilled with our draw.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas needs an A game from their run defense. Shanahan vs Quinn should be a lot of fun to watch. 

4 man D line with Gregory will not work.   Hope we run a lot of 5-2 with Bohanna/Watkins rotating at NT, and Gallimore and DLaw and end.   Gregory and Parsons standing up.   Jimmy G is no rushing threat. 

7 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Rams and Titans put a lot of attention to Kittle and had basically two defenders on him at all times. Clearly they felt it was more important to shut him down than the other weapons. The Rams had two on Deebo on quite a few routes as well, especially on 3rd downs and that opened it up for the others. Truthfully, it doesn't make much of a difference to our offense if opposing defenses key in on Kittle or Deebo or both. It comes down to how effective our run offense can be and if we can control the TOP. You guys are far too explosive and good on offense to make this game into a shoot out. And I wouldn't make much of the YPC stat. Again, that's not the end all for Shanny's scheme and how he wants to play. Btw, Mitchell has missed some games and that hurt the YPC as the replacements were not nearly as effective. Mitchell has a 4.7 YPC while Deebo has a 6.2 YPC and they are our main rushers at this point. 

Trent Williams missed the Rams game and there is no guarantee he plays this week. I can't stress enough how much of an advantage your edge rushers are going to have if he can't go. It's going to get UGLY and with Jimmy's banged up thumb? I'd expect him to put it on the floor a time or two. Trent will need to go for this team to truly have a chance. And then defensively we will need Tartt and K'waun back. 

Talent wise, the teams are pretty much even. Both teams have a lot of high caliber players on both sides of the ball. Dak is clearly superior to Jimmy so that's why for the Niners to win, they have to be able to run the ball well and have long drives. 

Good luck fellas, it should be fun....stressful and exciting all at the same time lol.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Apparently the cowboys haven’t been in the playoffs enough over the past 25 years for you to remember that good rushing and good defense is definitely a winning formula in the playoffs.  Frankly, Dak is struggling to throw the ball over the LOS.  Their DL is a huge problem.  And if they control TOP, we will lose.

I think it really depends on which team shows up.

Dallas managed to sandwich two 50 burgers around a 22 point turd. 

Granted, the Iggles played nobody, but that's what a good team does. Dal looked sharp, had a career game, even Zeke and Vander ****** managed to show signs of life in that game.

What I'm looking for is big games from the unsungs:

Jarwin, Wilson, Armstrong, Joseph etc.

You know SF is going to check:

Cooper, Lamb, Schultz, Elliott

Parsons, Diggs, Lawrence Gregory.

They will devote their efforts to neutralizing these players and dare us to win with th aforementioned.

They will harass Dak all day as to keep him off balance while attacking the middle of the O line, our weak point. This will keep pressure in Dak's face while stuffing our run game.

The offense needs to roll Dak out on the edge to give him time to hit downfield.

Of course, when he did this against Wash, the results were not good. Pick 6 was one. This is where Dak needs to improve and quick.

SF would not see this coming. It will open up the downfield game, thus opening up the run.

Our O line CANNOT man up their defensive front, not from what I saw yesterday.

Get them moving and off balance and we could have our way with them.

Defensively, I see them baiting Diggs and using his aggressive play against him, and targeting our LBs just over our D line. This area has been, for many years, wide open against ANYONE we have played.

Gregory nd DLaw need to be on their A game leaving Parsons to cover that area.

Again, SF would anticipate Parsons rushing, if he showed rush but dropped back in coverage, Garopolo would have to check out, force a pass which usually ended up behind the target, or eat it.

SF showed a lot of heart yesterday. They will not be an easy out. But I also believe they showed their best game.

LA showed how 1 man, Cooper Kupp, almost beat them. But I the end, it wasn't enough.