Dolphins fire HC Brian Flores

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, given that we know this happened to save Grier's job, since it hurts Watson's view of MIA - I'm going to predict the following:

-GM Grier interviews, then hires BOB

-MIA pays the farm to get Watson.

-BOB then proceeds to undermine GM Grier to owner Stephen Ross (who's as much of the problem here), and get GM Grier fired, and then becomes the GM/HC.    Houston 2018-19 v2 then ensues.

I hope for the MIA fanbase that I'm wrong.   But I'm calling this shot, given what I've seen so far.  And FTR, while I don't wish any of the above on any fanbase - owner Stephen Ross gets zero sympathy if he listened to GM Grier here, he reaps what he sows.

The flaw I see in this is Grier has been in Ross ear for 15 years on player personnel hes going to continue to have that ear even with BoB as the HC. He got rid of flores and he got rid of gase who was able to trick Jets ownership in to canning their GM after the GM was the one who hired him. 

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm sincerely wondering what Nick Caserio is thinking - Flores started off as a scout under Caserio, Caserio had a huge hand in grooming him.

I can see Caserio/Cal/Easterby thinking hard on this and making an executive decision on David Culley.

Going to be interesting...

Just now, ET80 said:

I'm sincerely wondering what Nick Caserio is thinking - Flores started off as a scout under Caserio, Caserio had a huge hand in grooming him.

I can see Caserio/Cal/Easterby thinking hard on this and making an executive decision on David Culley.

Going to be interesting...

I’m sure they’ll be interested for sure. As someone else pointed out though I imagine he’ll be in high demand and the Texans are probably on the lower side of top destinations.

Would imagine Denver and Minnesota would be favorites.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This seems like a very, very unlikely scenario if they fired Flores for wanting Watson.

It makes less sense - but the first part of this was Grier saving his job, someone else took the fall.

If Grier is all Team Tua, then yes, it doesn't happen.   If Grier wanted to save his job AND Ross/he still are on Watson, then....

(You can also just superimpose whatever team is set on Watson for the BOB part, FWIW).

Just now, Broncofan said:

It makes less sense - but the first part of this was Grier saving his job, someone else took the fall.

If Grier is all Team Tua, then yes, it doesn't happen.   If Grier wanted to save his job AND Ross/he still are on Watson, then....

(You can also just superimpose whatever team is set on Watson for the BOB part, FWIW).

I mean why else would Flores be fired? All the early reports suggest it was exactly because of the QB situation. Flores was steadfast in not wanting to commit to Tua.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If that were the case, Grier would've been fired, not Flores.

Tua will likely be the 2022 starter, given this news.

I dont think think it had anything to do with tua or watson I think its a power struggle on any say. Grier got Gase canned cause of a power struggle  (which was well deserved) and now he got Flores. He probably gets in Ross' ear if the HC doesnt agree with Grier and starts twisting it. Its a mess I think if your going to can Flores you need to can Grier and start fresh. How many years does Grier need to be there in order to realize he is a main problem (not asking you specifically)? Outside of 2020 and 2021 draft who do you have left still on the team? What free agents have come and gone with in a 1-2 year span? Your talking 13+ years as the defacto on College players yet the team has how many players who sign 2nd contracts after their rookie deal and how many were missed or reached on? 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I’m sure they’ll be interested for sure. As someone else pointed out though I imagine he’ll be in high demand and the Texans are probably on the lower side of top destinations.

Part of the allure of the Texans would be a very stupid ownership team - Cal McNair would pay any HC a STUPID amount of money and give them a long leash (save for Culley, most Texans HCs get 5-7 years before a seat gets hot). Both Gary Kubiak and Bill O'Brien were given a very long bit of rope before they were fired, despite evidence showing they weren't getting the job done.

It's a pipe dream for me, I guess. But, it's one hell of a development.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont think think it had anything to do with tua or watson I think its a power struggle on any say. Grier got Gase canned cause of a power struggle  (which was well deserved) and now he got Flores. He probably gets in Ross' ear if the HC doesnt agree with Grier and starts twisting it. Its a mess I think if your going to can Flores you need to can Grier and start fresh. How many years does Grier need to be there in order to realize he is a main problem (not asking you specifically)? Outside of 2020 and 2021 draft who do you have left still on the team? What free agents have come and gone with in a 1-2 year span? Your talking 13+ years as the defacto on College players yet the team has how many players who sign 2nd contracts after their rookie deal and how many were missed or reached on? 

I mean literally all the initial reports are saying that’s exactly what happened.

Thats all we can really go on.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

I mean literally all the initial reports are saying that’s exactly what happened.

Yes and there are reports that Ross was on the phone wanting to talk to Watson, the Texans signed off on it the night before the trade deadline. Ross wanted Watson to pay these females off so that it can be cleared and he could trade for him and not have to worry about any long term suspension. So do we just wash all those reports away because that was 2 months ago and that Ross has been linked to wanting him since the offseason? So how can you fire a HC who isnt committed to Tua if the owner isnt committed to tua? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It's a fair and rational reason, too - Tua was a Greer pick, so Flores not wanting him is attacking Greer's ability to scout Tua.

In addition, Greer is going to pay out of the nose to appease Flores - both with picks and that Watson contract.

This isn't even going into the firestorm of issues with Watson and his situation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It's actually a question Dolphins fans have been wondering.

Was Grier's OL picks horrible or was the offensive staff Flores put together incapable of developing offensive talent?

I guess now we'll find out.

Given how many misses Grier has had, I would venture to bet that guys like Austin Jackson are busts more than they are poorly coached. Grier was GM when we picked Charles Harris. Also, no one is pointing to poor coaching for Noah Igbonoghene's severe lack of contribution either. Those were all bad picks by Grier. Hard to blame Flores there given Grier's track record.