Dolphins fire HC Brian Flores

.Buzz

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Sounds like there was a power struggle between Grier and Flores.

Honestly, this was GM Grier saving his job, plain and simple.

Grier did a great job accumulating draft capital - and then pretty much wasted 75% of it.    His OL picks have been awful.   Tua is actually fine - but the optics of passing on Herbert for Tua is haunting Grier.   Waddle is looking like he'll be great - but the terrible OL picks Grier's made neutered the whole O, and the main reason why they didn't make the playoffs.

Flores did an amazing job last year in a very talent-poor team last year, and this year with even worse OL play, in adjusting.   He masterminds a great D - this is a terrible day for Dolphins fans.   I can only imagine who Grier thinks will be better than Brian Flores.

I've been very positive on Dan Quinn + young OC Kubiak/SF McDaniel, but I'd be very much behind Flores + same combo.    He's that good IMO (and yes, he's a BB tree guy, but IMO he's the exception that proves the rule).

Just now, TitanSlim said:

It

I actually wonder if the Texans may try to bring Flores in now with the New England connection between Caserio and Flores. And how could that play out with Watson and the Houston relationship if Flores was to be brought in.

Don’t bring that into existence, come on now.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, this was GM Grier saving his job, plain and simple.

Grier did a great job accumulating draft capital - and then pretty much wasted 75% of it.    His OL picks have been awful.   Tua is actually fine - but the optics of passing on Herbert for Tua is haunting Grier.   Waddle is looking like he'll be great - but the terrible OL picks Grier's made neutered the whole O, and the main reason why they didn't make the playoffs.

Flores did an amazing job last year in a very talent-poor team last year, and this year with even worse OL play, in adjusting.   He masterminds a great D - this is a terrible day for Dolphins fans.   I can only imagine who Grier thinks will be better than Brian Flores.

I've been very positive on Dan Quinn + young OC Kubiak/SF McDaniel, but I'd be very much behind Flores + same combo.    He's that good IMO (and yes, he's a BB tree guy, but IMO he's the exception that proves the rule).

It's actually a question Dolphins fans have been wondering.

Was Grier's OL picks horrible or was the offensive staff Flores put together incapable of developing offensive talent?

I guess now we'll find out.

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

It

I actually wonder if the Texans may try to bring Flores in now with the New England connection between Caserio and Flores. And how could that play out with Watson and the Houston relationship if Flores was to be brought in.

Possible. But I've gotta imagine Flores could get a better gig than Houston.

BTW, given that we know this happened to save Grier's job, since it hurts Watson's view of MIA - I'm going to predict the following:

-GM Grier interviews, then hires BOB

-MIA pays the farm to get Watson.

-BOB then proceeds to undermine GM Grier to owner Stephen Ross (who's as much of the problem here), and get GM Grier fired, and then becomes the GM/HC.    Houston 2018-19 v2 then ensues.

I hope for the MIA fanbase that I'm wrong.   But I'm calling this shot, given what I've seen so far.  And FTR, while I don't wish any of the above on any fanbase - owner Stephen Ross gets zero sympathy if he listened to GM Grier here, he reaps what he sows.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

BTW, given that we know this happened to save Grier's job, since it hurts Watson's view of MIA - I'm going to predict the following:

-BOB then proceeds to undermine GM Grier to owner Stephen Ross (who's as much of the problem here), and get GM Grier fired, and then becomes the GM/HC.    Houston 2018-19 v2 then ensues.

I hope for the MIA fanbase that I'm wrong.   But I'm calling this shot, given what I've seen so far.

Nah, this should all but kill Watson to Miami talks. From what's coming out, Grier supported Tua while Flores wanted Watson.

Part of the reason Watson wanted Miami , in turn, was due to Flores.

I hope for the MIA fanbase that I'm wrong.   But I'm calling this shot, given what I've seen so far.

This seems like a very, very unlikely scenario if they fired Flores for wanting Watson.

19 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Miami deserves to suck for firing him. He got that roster to overachieve big time the past few years.

This. Also he was a victim of his coaching making them look way better than they were early and setting up unrealistic expectations. They are in for a rude awakening 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Nah, this should all but kill Watson to Miami talks. From what's coming out, Grier supported Tua while Flores wanted Watson

Ross came out and said he wanted watson doubt talks will die down. He still part of the issue for you guys. He has made it clear he wanted watson to settle his cases before making the trade.

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Ross came out and said he wanted watson doubt talks will die down. He still part of the issue for you guys. He has made it clear he wanted watson to settle his cases before making the trade.

If that were the case, Grier would've been fired, not Flores. The QB position was the main source of the divide, per sources.

Tua will likely be the 2022 starter, given this news.

Ok. So he was the first head coach to have 2 consecutive winning seasons in Miami since Dave Wanstedt. We have had excellent defenses under Flores. Sure, he has had poor offenses. You can fault him for not building the best offensive staff, but look at the offensive linemen he was given to work with (Grier's fault). He took one of the worst rosters we have ever had (and that's really saying something) and turned them into winning teams. The culture shift he brought about in the short time he was here was incredible. It felt like we were building towards something here, and now we have taken dynamite to it. Such an unnecessary regressive step.  Some team is going to be happy to have Coach Flores. 

• Like 3