Jump to content

2022 College Prospect Thread


germ-x
 Share

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we didnt already have a really good punter, I would have no issue taking Araiza late R3. Even if we had a middle of the pack punter, but Martin is a really good punter. 

I think I read somewhere he got a few All Pro votes. McManus and Martin are fine. We need a good ST coordinator and we need Paton to continue stacking depth and our coverage and return units should improve markedly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we didnt already have a really good punter, I would have no issue taking Araiza late R3. Even if we had a middle of the pack punter, but Martin is a really good punter. 

I agree with this. My argument was more about the general philosophy that a punter is NEVER worth a late third which I disagree with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In Dane Brugler's latest mock, he has four IDLs going in the 1st round, and just one in the 2nd (I appreciate they will all be different types of players).

#14 Travon Walker, Georgia
#23 Jordan Davis, Georgia
#30 Logan Hall, Houston
#32 DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M
#48 Phidarian Mathis, Alabama

This seems to corroborate what many of you have said in here that there isn't much 'obvious' IDL talent this year. 

If the back of the 1st is a hotspot for IDLs, I wonder if we'd look to move back into the 1st to get that additional year on the contract for one of these guys.

I really like Logan Hall in an Elvis Dumervil type role. 43DE who slides inside on obvious passing downs. He’s super good at penetrating gaps, but he gets run over inside when he tries to anchor. Walker’s a straight 43DE for me. 

But that Brugler mock is just about perfection for me. Devin Lloyd and Myjai Sanders are two of my favourites, and while I don’t know much about the Houston corner on that side of the ball, I’ve seen some highlights of him returning punts and he looks dynamic. I’m a Kyler Gordon guy at that spot, but a KR/PR/CB would be very welcome, as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

While i also love Devin Lloyd, and would not be angry rooting for that guy for the next decade, ILB (starters and depth) is a relative strength for this team assuming we can resign young and AJ/Jewell for a decent price. 

I hear that, but I’m okay with any front 7 pick who appears to be in the BPA discussion. Lloyd could be Quinn’s new Micah Parsons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

While i also love Devin Lloyd, and would not be angry rooting for that guy for the next decade, ILB (starters and depth) is a relative strength for this team assuming we can resign young and AJ/Jewell for a decent price. 

 

4 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I hear that, but I’m okay with any front 7 pick who appears to be in the BPA discussion. Lloyd could be Quinn’s new Micah Parsons.

I'd be really careful about AJ.  I know he doesn't have as much mileage, but starting to get injuries at age 30+ at the ILB position, VERY few players come back and play at the same level.   Personally, I'm fine with letting AJ walk if it's not the vet min-type deal (yes, that's harsh).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In Dane Brugler's latest mock, he has four IDLs going in the 1st round, and just one in the 2nd (I appreciate they will all be different types of players).

#14 Travon Walker, Georgia
#23 Jordan Davis, Georgia
#30 Logan Hall, Houston
#32 DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M
#48 Phidarian Mathis, Alabama

This seems to corroborate what many of you have said in here that there isn't much 'obvious' IDL talent this year. 

If the back of the 1st is a hotspot for IDLs, I wonder if we'd look to move back into the 1st to get that additional year on the contract for one of these guys.

I got to watch the Bills game last weekend. Comparing our DL talent to theirs is embarrassing.

I'm afraid without Vic we may start playing to our talent level on Defense. That would not be pretty.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Quinn is going to want an athletic upgrade at the MIKE. 

Browning is very athletic, has size as well as speed, what more would DQ want ?. Either pair him with another ILB we probably already have on the roster or plug him in on a switch up to a 4-3 as the newest DC may have a tendency towards. With 11 current draft picks, could easily see some additions on the D side of the ball. Personally I'd like a DL, RT, EDGE, CB, ILB, WR/RB/ST Returner and perhaps S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree with this. My argument was more about the general philosophy that a punter is NEVER worth a late third which I disagree with.

Having watched Ray Guy for his entire career boom ridiculously long punts with impossible hang times I have a bit of a different perspective on this discussion.

Guy was a weapon. We had a great defense then and stuck 'em on their 20 or deeper a lot. How frustrating it was to watch Rick Upchurch, one of the best PR's in history, fair catch a punt on the 15 that was kicked from the Raiders 20.

People laughed when he was a first round pick. No one was laughing when he retired.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Browning is very athletic, has size as well as speed, what more would DQ want ?. Either pair him with another ILB we probably already have on the roster or plug him in on a switch up to a 4-3 as the newest DC may have a tendency towards. With 11 current draft picks, could easily see some additions on the D side of the ball. Personally I'd like a DL, RT, EDGE, CB, ILB, WR/RB/ST Returner and perhaps S.

I think Browning is a WILL in his scheme. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Browning is a WILL in his scheme. 

I tend to agree - Browning's instincts IMO don't translate as well to the MIKE.   He's got the tools, but at OSU, he was often a half-step late, because his first instincts were off (didn't hit the gap right away, couldn't read the direction of play).     As a WILL, he can be more of a "see ball, chase ball" guy (and has fewer bi-directional responsibilities, so he makes fewer mistake in the original read).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I tend to agree - Browning's instincts IMO don't translate as well to the MIKE.   He's got the tools, but at OSU, he was often a half-step late, because his first instincts were off (didn't hit the gap right away, couldn't read the direction of play).     As a WILL, he can be more of a "see ball, chase ball" guy (and has fewer bi-directional responsibilities, so he makes fewer mistake in the original read).

Yeah I think that’s his spot, though he also offers the versatility to play some SAM and contribute as a pass rusher ala Parsons. His get-off and bend are legit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I think that’s his spot, though he also offers the versatility to play some SAM and contribute as a pass rusher ala Parsons. His get-off and bend are legit. 

His lack of production at OSU relative to the toolset he has, and the skills he shows - really speaks to a guy who is a great playmaker if he just has to pursue, or chase.   Anytime you put him in a read-first mode, it's where he hesitates.    SAM would work as long as he's really used in the right situations (not all the time), and yes, pass rusher works too (since it's pretty much see ball, get ball - in QB's hands).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...