2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

38 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets will still need DT there.  Thomas and Shepherd are not exactly home run signings as Big Q and Rankins will hit FA after this season.  Whoever DT they take along 1st round DE will elevate DL level.

Q has 2 more years left on his deal. Jets picked up his 5th year option. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think rating anything back that far isn't accurate. Let's take just the last 5 years and see those success rates. It's very high at WR. And guys who have been failures either a lot of us would've guessed they would've been (John Ross for example) or a guy that had something freakish happen (Ruggs). Of course there's been failures like N'Keal Harry (last pick in Round 1 FYI) and others.

But where the guy is getting drafted has to play a part. There's a huge difference between a guy getting chosen at 10 than a guy going 32.

Loved Harry, lol. 

As for the rest, generally agree but you’d be surprised. Even looking at the last 5yrs it’s at best say ~50% — that’s assuming guys like Aiyuk, Jeudy, Smith all work out. Remove 2/3 and it’s ~39%, around where it’s been dating back to 2000. 

Easy to forget guys like Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Watkins, Justin Blackmon — all would’ve been considered a ‘success’ after their second season.

Ultimately I think you’re right, but probably not to the extent you think. We’re talking about breaking a 25+ year trend. Quality has gone up, but relative to quantity? Not sure. The college game has made it a lot easier for guys to look the part. This year is a great example of that, we’ll likely see 5 FRPs and no one has a consensus as to what ordered they’ll fall.

16 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The college game has made it a lot easier for guys to look the part. This year is a great example of that, we’ll likely see 5 FRPs and no one has a consensus as to what ordered they’ll fall.

Which is what prompted this discussion.  Does JD value a WR at 10 this year?  His actions in trying to trade for an established star may suggest he does not.  Couple that with the data and it may be a dicey choice this year as there are no Chase's or Waddle's.  Just a lot of decent WR that in some years (like last year) would probably fall to round 2.  I wonder where Moore would have ranked in this WR draft class?

As much as I want either KT or Hutch I don’t think it will happen. I think both will be gone by #4. 

So with that being said I can really get on board with drafting Neal/Ikeem at #4, Jermaine Johnson at #10 and then trade up in the first for whatever receiver falls (they do every year!) 

Ideally JJ would be a little younger but we just need talent and my god he’s an explosive edge rusher like we’ve been craving for years. 

1 minute ago, Abe56 said:

Johnson is just not in the mix that high, Walker right now is the betting favorite to go #2 overall to DET.

Yeah Iv seen Walker being mocked #1 or #2 in most drafts recently. Still don’t think it will happen though. If it does that would mean the draft last year was QB, QB, QB and then this year DE, DE, DE. 🤯

6 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Walkers just weird to me Athletically he has it all, has good bend, but I’m just not impressed with his tape, he has his moments but hasn’t really done it consistently enough for me to be comfortable taking him at 4.

He's done most of his damage inside.  I want someone who will beat a Tackle off the Edge.  And like bobby has said countless teams.  An absolutely stacked Georgia unit and he doesn't have the numbers or highlights to go along with it.

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

He's done most of his damage inside.  I want someone who will beat a Tackle off the Edge.  And like bobby has said countless teams.  An absolutely stacked Georgia unit and he doesn't have the numbers or highlights to go along with it.

Facts. I’d be happy wit KT or JJ at 4