Texans fire David Culley

MikeT14

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Let's level set here - the Texans are bad, sure. David Culley was part of the reason they were bad.

TLDR.

The team with David Mills as QB was bad? I'm shocked?

The guy squeezed 4 wins out of one of the least talented teams in a decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Comments like this really seem to be focused on record and not what led to this record.

Here's a really deep dive into the David Culley era in Houston:

https://theathletic.com/3067310/2022/01/12/fact-checking-arguments-for-and-against-the-texans-firing-david-culley?source=user-shared-article

Some fun nuggets:

- The Texans’ matched Las Vegas’ preseason expected win total, but when they weren’t competitive, they were really not competitive. They lost on average by 17.2 points.

- The 2020 Texans had a minus-80 point differential through 16 games, while Culley’s Texans were minus-169 through 16 games. In 2020, the Texans were 2-9 in one-score games; this season’s team was 0-4. No Texans team played in fewer one-score games than this season’s Texans, despite this being the longest season in Texans history.

- But in both of those victories (LAC, Tenn) as well as the Texans’ Week 1 win over the Jaguars, Houston finished plus-3 or better in turnover margin. In other words, turnover luck bounced the Texans’ way in a significant way, and that’s not a sustainable way to win or a smart way to evaluate the team’s overall performance.

- He’s made elementary game-management errors and offered head-scratching explanations. Among them:

He declined a penalty to punt a play early against the Browns out of frustration.

He did not understand Caserio’s in-game advice on the headset to let the Patriots score late in a close loss.

In that same Patriots game, he thought the clock stopped on New England’s final drive because of an incomplete pass, but it stopped because Culley called a timeout.

Down 11 early in the fourth quarter against the Dolphins, in a game in which his team failed to score a touchdown in its three prior red zone trips, Culley opted for a field goal from the Miami 1-yard line.

He said after losing to the Dolphins that his team would never win while turning the ball over four times, despite the Texans defense recording five takeaways that day.

After seeing the Texans’ up-tempo passing game have success in a failed comeback against the Titans, Culley said he shouldn’t have relied so heavily on one of the least efficient running games of this century. It took him 16.5 games to come to that revelation.

Let's level set here - the Texans are bad, sure. David Culley was part of the reason they were bad.

While true... he still got the Texans to a better record than most expected. Most thought they would be the unanimous worst team in the league. They weren't and Mills looks like he has some real potential playing under his staff.

Overall I think the way the season went for the Texans was about best case scenario with the personnel they were using and the coaches they hired. Culley definitely sucks though and never should have been hired.

• Like 2

Just now, viking said:

TLDR.

The team with David Mills as QB was bad? I'm shocked?

The guy squeezed 4 wins out of one of the least talented teams in a decade.

Two of those four wins were against the LEAST talented team in the decade, so have at it I guess.

You want to think David Culley is good, be my guest. Those who actually watched him (and have enough wherewithal to not TL;DR facts, which doesn't seem you speed) can see the truth.

But hey, you do you.

• Like 2

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

While true... he still got the Texans to a better record than most expected.

Two of those wins were the Jacksonville Jaguars... Week 1, the beginning of the Urban Meyer era... Week 15, the beginning of the post-Urban Meyer era.

Not gonna really read too much into those.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

This tracks - Texans are very reactionary in nature, that's their MO. They don't think, they just do.

I mean tbf I imagine Caserio spent the entire last 2 days begging Flores (thru text) to come to Houston. They probably have some sort of back door deal worked out already. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The timing would make sense. They’d keep Watson I’d imagine…right?

I can't really say one way or another - people speculate Watson wanted to go to Miami because of Flores, but I don't think there's any truth to that.

I could see Cal and Co willing to come to the table and work it out.