I love Mike Tomlin

Towerbridge

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Let me know when the league gives out an award for the most seasons without a losing record. 

And we'll see where that one stands next year.

Its called the HoF... If he keeps up what he has been doing, he will for sure be there someday.

• Like 5

The whole not having a losing season thing makes me laugh. It reminds me of an argument I had with some delusional Dolphins fan on here years and years ago who thought Shula was the best coach of all time because of how many seasons he had with 10 wins. Not Belichick. Not Walsh. No...no....it's Shula because he racked up a lot of mediocre seasons over a long stretch of time.

Given the talent he's had to work with, he's overachieved precisely one time as head coach of the Steelers and that was an 8-8 season. And it involved trading two first round picks to bring in Minkah Fitzpatrick to sure up his defense. The rest of his coaching career? How many bye weeks have the Steelers had under Mike Tomlin? How many playoff wins (he now has a losing record in the post-season after starting 5-2)? 

The guy hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years. His best case scenario is being Marvin Lewis if he's on a lesser franchise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

He's all style and no substance. There's the problem. 

To be fair to your side, he has had the benefit of being in a pretty weak division with only one other good team (Ravens) for a lot of those years.  The Browns have been coming around and now it looks like Burrow could make some noise with the Bengals too, so we'll see if Tomlin can find the Steelers another QB and continue to compete.  I'm assuming this is Ben's last year.

Nobdoy - and I mean nobody - goes into a game against the Steelers worried about what the Steelers are going to draw up schematically against them. The guy has no coaching tree despite being around 15 years. No schematic innovations. He has, since Lebeau left, only dumbed down the defense to make things easier. 

You go into a game against any other top coach, you know they are going to throw things at you that you don't expect. You go into a game against Andy Reid and you know you have to be prepared for his script to start, and that he's going to have multiple new wrinkles on offense in a big game. The Steelers offense didn't score a TD in the first quarter in months, they were outscored more in the first quarter than probably any team in the league this year. You go against Belichick, Sean Payton, you know these guys are going to throw things at you on defense or offense that you don't expect.

WHen you go against the Steelers, you talk about their star players. You talk about containing TJ Watt. Or in years past Antonio Brown. You don't worry about what Mike Tomlin is going to throw at you. They have no extra gear and it's really showing in the playoffs. Time and time again, the Steelers go into these games doing the same things they've done all year and other teams are doing what you're supposed to be doing and adjusting.

Mike Tomlin is mediocre. Just like his one claim to fame at this point - never having a losing season.

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The whole not having a losing season thing makes me laugh. It reminds me of an argument I had with some delusional Dolphins fan on here years and years ago who thought Shula was the best coach of all time because of how many seasons he had with 10 wins. Not Belichick. Not Walsh. No...no....it's Shula because he racked up a lot of mediocre seasons over a long stretch of time.

Given the talent he's had to work with, he's overachieved precisely one time as head coach of the Steelers and that was an 8-8 season. And it involved trading two first round picks to bring in Minkah Fitzpatrick to sure up his defense. The rest of his coaching career? How many bye weeks have the Steelers had under Mike Tomlin? How many playoff wins (he now has a losing record in the post-season after starting 5-2)? 

The guy hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years. His best case scenario is being Marvin Lewis if he's on a lesser franchise.

1 playoff bye since 2011 and what 8 playoff wins in 15 seasons? It's solid but nothing special. Especially if you consider a HOF QB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Unfortunately your Franchise has shown for "Decades (4)", they are willing to ride or die with HC's who come close or eventually get them a ring.

It's why Cowher lasted as long as he did despite all of the AFCCG loses until 05' and why Tomlin is still around based off 08'.

The Rooneys hate change!

The funny thing is that the current owner, Art II, is the guy who publicly said that it was time for Cowher to win it all in 2004. A not so thinly veiled threat. But he seems to have limitless patience for Tomlin.

The playoff record he's produced is downright embarrassing since that loss to the Packers in the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Tomlin is 3-7 in the last decade in the playoffs...2 of those wins against backup QBs and the other was gifted when Burfict had multiple personal foul penalties to give Steelers field position to kick a FG.

Theres plenty of issues with the Steelers...Tomlin is not solely to blame, but he’s a major issue.

I'm not sure I have a strong opinion either way, but the winning record thing is absolutely legit. Playoff appearances are legit.

Being a good, consistent regular season team in the NFL is HARD. Removing the Patriots who are an obvious outlier, nobody has sustained that level of success.

I've never looked at the Steelers roster and said "wow they're amazing". Closest would be the killer B's but even then, I never really held Roethlisberger in that high a regard.

So I think what Tomlin has done in Pit is very impressive.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

LOL.  Reading your three previous posts before this one, I was thinking that's exactly how many Bengals fans view Marvin Lewis.  Was there forever, motivated his team, but never got them anywhere.  At least Tomlin cashed in during his early years.

Tomlin is in that weird spot where, I don't see how anyone can call him a bad coach.  But I also get the argument for him not being a great one either.

The problem is, if you are going to move on from him, you have to be 100% sold on the candidate you're pursuing.  Personally, I'd stick with him and focus on getting a franchise QB first.