Broncos hire Nathaniel Hackett as HC

broncos67

23 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

On top of being an awful coordinator, he was apparently loathed by the players. Feels like we also got the worst version of Shurmur, he did have some previous track record of making bad QBs look playable. Even with that he never ran an offense that scored 24+ points per game. Yuck. 

The Shurmur hire was such a disaster man. I'm far from a Luck guy, but bringing in the Shurmur offense when it didn't fit him was just extremely embarrassing franchise malfunction top to bottom. I always come back to that decision as one of the worst of the last couple years 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

It concerns me that he is a hip hop dancer. 

Hackett is no doubt the guy that starts talking your ear off in the work kitchen at 8:30am Monday morning when you are just trying to get coffee and go sit at your desk in peace 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, AKRNA said:

It's a contrast all right, but is it a good one? Lombardi, Noll, BB ............  The lack of NFL experience on the coaching staff also stands out.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Being a hard-*** doesn't equate to being a good coach or getting good results. Times change, different styles work for different groups. 

Lack of experience stands out to me too, but varied experience and approach can breathe new life into any organization. Urban Meyer fancied himself a particular way and lasted less than a season. Not everyone is cut out to be like Bill Belichick and find success. 

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Being a hard-*** doesn't equate to being a good coach or getting good results. Times change, different styles work for different groups. 

Lack of experience stands out to me too, but varied experience and approach can breathe new life into any organization. Urban Meyer fancied himself a particular way and lasted less than a season. Not everyone is cut out to be like Bill Belichick and find success. 

Agreed. However when everyone is new it’s tough. It’s like a startup that’s expanding and now everyone moves up a level at the same time. It’s easy to lead a couple friends, and making the jump to CEO while tough is doable, but so many startups fail at this particular juncture because you’re counting on everyone making the jump at the same time. That’s my concern

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Hackett is either going to remarkably charming or completely insufferable in the coming months/years - no in between.  Only time will tell…

Oh I think it’s the former. He is so new to the HC job, he was all about letting Russ and George speak today. I would be shocked if he was less than a good HC. He will be a collaborator, a tone-setter and the players will love him. I mean, hell, if even Aaron Rodgers likes the guy and respects his football acumen…

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Oh I think it’s the former. He is so new to the HC job, he was all about letting Russ and George speak today. I would be shocked if he was less than a good HC. He will be a collaborator, a tone-setter and the players will love him. I mean, hell, if even Aaron Rodgers likes the guy and respects his football acumen…

It's the last line here that makes me a believer in Hackett 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The key line that’s music to my ears - Hackett bringing in someone specifically for game management.   It’s such a difference maker and  one of the key flaws that doomed Fangio - made worse by his total lack of insight In refusing to change / get outside help.  

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think we all know this is going to go one of two ways.

We win loads of games:

"The players love him! They are clearly playing for him, and his ability to relate to players is a massive factor in us winning games!"

We lose loads of games:

"He's too soft - the players don't respect him! He's too busy trying to be best friends with the players rather than building a successful team!"

Personally, give me this personality over some fake tough man act. Genuinely nothing worse than a middle aged, 5ft 8, 8 stone man trying to scream and holla at the toughest SOBs in world sport (hi Josh McDaniels, Adam Gase).

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3