2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is not to crap on the Bengals, obviously they're a great team.  But they were helped out a lot by the other teams playing way worse than they usually do.  Mahomes was making boneheaded decisions the whole second half after moving at will against them in the first half.

Tannehill too, gifted them three INTs and a lot of "I'm gonna run for it for no reason on third and 11."

Like, watching both of those games, they should have lost, but they didn't.  Kind of the same with the Raiders, but there, it looked more like the Bengals being the superior team and getting just enough poor luck to keep the other team in it.

And again, I don't want to take anything away from the Bengals.  Luck kept them in games they should have lost, and then they made the plays they needed to win.  They had help, and a lot of it, but they did what they needed to in the games' ends to secure those victories.

Chicken/egg arguments, so i'm not going to get into it.  But do defenses cause INT's, or is it always on the QB/offense for throwing them?  Mahomes, Tannehill and Carr were all guilty of trying to throw into tight windows at the end of games.  But the defense caused those tight windows.

Is there luck involved?  Sure.  Every team that gets this far gets there via some amount of luck.

The Bengals have needed literally everything to go their way to reach the Superbowl thus far. Will that continue? Unlikely, but possible.

I do think the Rams beat them. Donald/Miller are going to be too much for Burrow and Ramsey is going to shadow Chase most likely.

Bengals have been a fun team to watch. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year as I'm sure a lot of their roster might get poached and maybe even some coaches.

Just now, theJ said:

Chicken/egg arguments, so i'm not going to get into it.  But do defenses cause INT's, or is it always on the QB/offense for throwing them?  Mahomes, Tannehill and Carr were all guilty of trying to throw into tight windows at the end of games.  But the defense caused those tight windows.

Is there luck involved?  Sure.  Every team that gets this far gets there via some amount of luck.

Defenses cause some INTs.  IIRC, the Bengals forced the last INT against the Titans reading a play, so Hilton gets all the credit for that one, and it sealed the win for them.  But the first two were boneheaded throws by Tannehill under no pressure.  Hence the fanbase calling for his head.

Even the last one was on a play the Titans ran, identically, with the same motion, earlier.  Hilton almost broke up that one because it was a badly designed play.

That's all I'm saying.  They seemed to get a lot of luck to stay in the game, but made the plays they needed to in games that still could have gone either way at the end.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I do think the Rams beat them. Donald/Miller are going to be too much for Burrow and Ramsey is going to shadow Chase most likely.

I wonder if they'll make the gutsy call and leave Ramsey on Chase 1v1.  If they have Ramsey shadow Chase AND give him safety help over the top, then that's going to give Boyd and Higgins a lot of opportunity to eat.  Both are fully capable working all three levels of route tree.

I expect a good close game. I would take Bengals +3.5 but I'm not picking a winner yet.

The keys to me will be the Bengals O-line vs the Rams pass rush and Rams CBs not named Ramsey vs Burrow.

Even if Ramsey locks on Chase you still have Higgins and Boyd.

I think the Rams wins it. Miller and Donald is just too much for the Bengals o-line. 

Won't be upset with any result, even though the Bengals are huge AFC North rivals they really deserve to be in the SB. They got hot at the right time. They remind me a lot the 2012 Ravens

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Bengals have needed literally everything to go their way to reach the Superbowl thus far. Will that continue? Unlikely, but possible.

Bengals have been a fun team to watch. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year as I'm sure a lot of their roster might get poached and maybe even some coaches.

Not sure how you could watch that last game and think the bolded. As to the final point, you don't think players are going to be lining up to play with Joe Burrow on a rookie deal for three more years? I'd be shocked if more talent left than came in.

• Like 1

If the Bengals are to win it then Joe Burrow will arguably have to have the best performance of any QB in Super Bowl history, because that Rams pass rush is unrelenting and as consistent as they come. As a matchup, I think the Bengals weaknesses go up against the Rams strengths. They've been playing outstanding recently so this is no walkover, of course, but I really like this matchup for the Rams. 

Every playoff game requires luck.

Stafford threw a perfect pass to Tartt. Dropping it was luck.

Getting Arizona with a woefully unready Kyler Williams was luck. (1-4 in their last 5 before the playoffs)

Getting TB calling a zero blitz and having a miscommunication in the secondary letting Kupp get deep was luck.

Like all teams, you still have to make the plays when luck gives you a chance.

No over the top luck benefit to Cincy at all in this matchup as far as I can see.

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Not sure how you could watch that last game and think the bolded. As to the final point, you don't think players are going to be lining up to play with Joe Burrow on a rookie deal for three more years? I'd be shocked if more talent left than came in.

Tennessee game was won despite 9 sacks. Not sure how many times that's happened in the Playoffs.

KC game was the first time in Mahomes' career he's blown that large of a lead. KC also won the coin toss and lost in OT, something that has been well-documented here over the past week.

Not saying it's impossible, just saying that it does feel like Cinci hasn't played all that well but things just seem to be falling in place at the right times for them.

Yeah we all thought people would be lining up to play with Lamar Jackson on a rookie deal, too but when you have success, players/coaches get paid elsewhere by bad teams. It happens literally every single year to teams.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tennessee game was won despite 9 sacks. Not sure how many times that's happened in the Playoffs.

KC game was the first time in Mahomes' career he's blown that large of a lead. KC also won the coin toss and lost in OT, something that has been well-documented here over the past week.

Not saying it's impossible, just saying that it does feel like Cinci hasn't played all that well but things just seem to be falling in place at the right times for them.

Yeah we all thought people would be lining up to play with Lamar Jackson on a rookie deal, too but when you have success, players/coaches get paid elsewhere by bad teams. It happens literally every single year to teams.

Overcoming 9 sacks to win is everything going their way? What?

Coming back from 18 down, holding the Chiefs to 3 points for a half, and winning despite losing the toss in OT is everything going their way? What?

I'm not even saying the Bengals are going to win, I expect them to lose, and Donald to wreck havoc. That is still nonsense. Burrow has 3x the playoff wins Lamar does in half the seasons, and has looked considerably better in the postseason. Players will want to sign up and play with Burrow, hell it already happened last offseason. Imagine what it will be like when they have actually had success.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Overcoming 9 sacks to win is everything going their way? What?

Coming back from 18 down, holding the Chiefs to 3 points for a half, and winning despite losing the toss in OT is everything going their way? What?

Nah, I'm just saying they needed to overcome some pretty seriously slim odds to win both playoff games, you know? Like, Mahomes has never lost leading by 15+ in a game in his career. 

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Nah, I'm just saying they needed to overcome some pretty seriously slim odds to win both playoff games, you know? Like, Mahomes has never lost leading by 15+ in a game in his career. 

Mahomes is 26, not 35, the sample size probably isn't huge on that one, and I'd wager most people don't lose those games often. Needing to overcome seriously slim odds is a vastly different statement than saying everything has gone their way. Like I said, I expect the Rams to win.