2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

What's going on with Allen Robinson, I thought I read about Cleveland having him pretty much locked up or was that a false flag only asking because less than an hour ago he was still mentioned as a top available FA WR within an article I was reading. 

I know he hates the color green so just asking for a friend. 

Allen Robinson to Cleveland was a fake account, when reading Twitter (or Twitter posts on the forums) look for the blue checkmark next to the originator's name. If it's not there just disregard.

• Like 1

Yes, it’s frustrating as hell to miss out on all the fireworks but I think the only deal I would’ve liked the Raiders to take on was JC Jackson’s. I thought he’d get about $20m per, and to see him go to SD for 16.5 was annoying. I think there is something to be said about both NE and LV(NE ties)passing on him at that price. There was some massive overpays on average talents, and a lot of guys will be teams dead cap in no time. Year in and year out teams that win FA fall on their face while good teams bargain hunt and get quality players on team friendly contracts. I’m glad we’re being patient, No matter how much it irks me to watch the rest of the AFCW add talent. 

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Yes, it’s frustrating as hell to miss out on all the fireworks but I think the only deal I would’ve liked the Raiders to take on was JC Jackson’s. I thought he’d get about $20m per, and to see him go to SD for 16.5 was annoying. I think there is something to be said about both NE and LV(NE ties)passing on him at that price. There was some massive overpays on average talents, and a lot of guys will be teams dead cap in no time. Year in and year out teams that win FA fall on their face while good teams bargain hunt and get quality players on team friendly contracts. I’m glad we’re being patient, No matter how much it irks me to watch the rest of the AFCW add talent. 

I think we are signing Gilmore. SF was in on him  as are we, but SF signed Ward from KC.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Really wish some teams would overpay for some Chiefs free agents. I'd really like those comp picks next year.

I'm just patiently awaiting some team to overpay Troy Reeder (which anything remotely approaching starter-going-rate would be an overpay) so that myself and several others in RamLand can get a hearty chuckle.

• Like 1

The Jaguars simply have to over pay at this stage. Where some fans from successful teams are tearing Jags fans a new one I can understand (I too root for a bottom tier team) and unfortunately it is what it is. 

What matters more than a couple of million a year more than the ‘correct amount’ is ensuring a young qb who had next to no talent last year is surrounded with players who can make plays and get open. The Jags have done that. Sure they’ve spent more than a Ravens/Chiefs/Patriots would on those players but they are all top franchises. 

I have seen the Jets ruin qb after qb for having guys off the street play WR and somehow think a young qb can hit the heights of their potential.

The Jaguars got better today with their signings and although they did overpay they will at least find out what they have in Lawrence moving forward.

Edited by KimuraGod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

The Jaguars simply have to over pay at this stage. Where some fans from successful teams are tearing Jags fans a new one I can understand (I too root for a bottom tier team) and unfortunately it is what it is. 

What matters more than a couple of million a year more than the ‘correct amount’ is ensuring a young qb who had next to no talent last year is surrounded with players who can make plays and get open. The Jags have done that. Sure they’ve spent more than a Ravens/Chiefs/Patriots would on those players but they are all top franchises. 

I have seen the Jets ruin qb after qb for having guys off the street play WR and somehow think a young qb can hit the heights of their potential.

The Jaguars got better today with their signings and although they did overpay they will at least find out what they have in Lawrence moving forward.

Yea but people forget Patriots did damn near the same things last year...   Nelson Agholor 2yr 22mil, Jonnu Smith TE 4y 50mil, Hunter Henry 3yr 37mil, Kendrick Bourne 3yr 15mil.    Its  not as bad as this year but you also have to take into account the salary cap increase.   And like you said they have to overpay because of the situation in Jacksonville lol...

Edited by sryan66611

44 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Yea but people forget Patriots did damn near the same things last year...   Nelson Agholor 2yr 22mil, Jonnu Smith TE 4y 50mil, Hunter Henry 3yr 37mil, Kendrick Bourne 3yr 15mil.    Its  not as bad as this year but you also have to take into account the salary cap increase.   And like you said they have to overpay because of the situation in Jacksonville lol...

Yeah the Patriots had a very surreal offseason due to the fact Brady wasn’t there and they had their first poor season (by their standards!) in decades. 

Top franchises have players who will take team friendly deals, chase rings, will sign for cheap to boost their stock or even take simply less money as they want to win.

Team like the Jaguars (and my Jets) have to overpay because they are not getting any discount from top or mid free agents. Why would they?! Therefore they have to overspend.

Whether or not they are the right players the Jags have spent big on remains to be seen but you can’t laugh too much at them when to be fair they are trying their best to maximise Lawerence’s potential. 

Better that than the things past regimes have done with Jets young qbs like I said earlier when you have guys off the street starting week in and week out. To me you have to give your young qb every chance to succeed. 

51 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

The bolded paid that back already. We'd have been slaughtered without them, and Mac would be suffering PTSD right now. 

The other two though....eh....that's a shocker really.

Point is though, now, if you want to improve you have to flash the cash

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The bolded paid that back already. We'd have been slaughtered without them, and Mac would be suffering PTSD right now. 

The other two though....eh....that's a shocker really.

Point is though, now, if you want to improve you have to flash the cash

Exactly Pats hit 50% pretty much and if Jags can do that and hit on two of the FA weapons they picked up I'm sure thats a win for them.

9 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Jags have to pay the bad team tax. Probably more so than anyone else in league history after that legendary Urban debacle.

their contracts were going to be over pays no matter who they signed.

That’s the reality.  But the choices of who they picked up is more the issue.  Love Scherff exactly what you want to do.    The skill position choices are the iffier part. 

Don’t mind Kirk.   But Jones over Chark and getting a 2nd move TE who’s basically another slot guy - it creates talent redundancy and doesn’t create separate skill gaps.    This kinda illustrates the point: 

I know Pederson likes 12 personnel.  And I get Kirk upgrading WR.   Just an inline TE and X receiver would have been a way to really separate the talent.   I get why the Jags have to overpay but the skill position choices seem curious that’s hard to deny. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

I think what's going unsaid here is that Kirk probably won't actually be the player he was in AZ.

He played with a good QB, a decent offensive mind and with a top WR next to him to take the heat off.

That's all going away, tbd on Peterson's offense in JAX.

Jaguars fans argument is that he's better than Austin, and sure, that's accurate. But it's far from a guarantee that he's better than Jones and Shenault. So it's feasible that there isn't really an upgrade with this move over what they have in house for next year.

Especially when you consider that almost any WR they draft in the 2nd or 3rd round has a solid chance to be as good as Kirk right away.

The only question remaining is....what would they have done with that money instead? Id have thrown it at offensive line or defense. Overpaying by a tier is normal - they'd have to have thrown $20 mil at Jackson, $15-16 at Tomlinson - those would have been overpays by one tier.

Kirk is an overpay by 2-3 tiers. So I'd argue the Jaguars could have used this money more effectively. Now whether those FAs come to be overpaid we won't know - but given how quickly they paid Kirk, I'd say this is a fail. And it likely leads to Lawrence not improving much.

27 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Until they get a #1 that’s what it is. You nab one of the “top 6” in the draft and knock them all down a peg it moves the needle. Even if Kirk was paid like it, he is a slot receiver. He’s a good compliment to someone above him but he’s not going to be able to handle being the sole focus. If we go and sign anyone not named ARob in FA we still have a bottom of the third group (and even ARob has his questions at 29 and following a massive drop off in production). Wasn’t being solved in FA even if we did shell out money.