2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

5 hours ago, Forge said:

No idea at this point. Between the surgery and the craziness that is this potential QB carousel I don't know why he has any market at all

Still think a a post-draft trade makes the most sense.  Send him somewhere that he can "mentor" a young QB.

According to Ben Goessling on Twitter, the Vikings are trying to trade Danielle Hunter. Not sure I see a team trading much for him considering his 2022 salary and recent injuries, but I would love to see him end up with the Chiefs.

• Like 1

Only holes seems to be across the DL. After that we’re in a position to get the BPA which is always good since you aren’t forced to reach. Can’t rule out anything past that. Gives us a lot of flexibility in the draft. 

Can still see a couple more depth signings before the draft.

23 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

According to Ben Goessling on Twitter, the Vikings are trying to trade Danielle Hunter. Not sure I see a team trading much for him considering his 2022 salary and recent injuries, but I would love to see him end up with the Chiefs.

Even though the Colts just made a trade, I could see them kicking the tires. Pass rush was lacking and they were trying to get Jones 

6 minutes ago, FutureViking09 said:

Even though the Colts just made a trade, I could see them kicking the tires. Pass rush was lacking and they were trying to get Jones 

Our GM Brett Veach has repeatedly mentioned this offseason that bolstering the defensive line is a priority. If the extent of that is bringing back Frank Clark (via the recent extension which lowers his 2022 cap hit), we have a major issue. Veach also doesn't mind trading picks for veterans, but I don't think we could take on Hunter's current contract (which seems pretty reasonable after 2022) without an ability to spread the roster bonus guarantee over the balance years.

As a Vikings fan do you feel his injuries are concerns long term (wearing down physically) or more of a bump in the road? Physically he looks like a bodybuilder and not sure if that might contribute to some injury issues considering the physical beating NFL players are subjected to.

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

Our GM Brett Veach has repeatedly mentioned this offseason that bolstering the defensive line is a priority. If the extent of that is bringing back Frank Clark (via the recent extension which lowers his 2022 cap hit), we have a major issue. Veach also doesn't mind trading picks for veterans, but I don't think we could take on Hunter's current contract (which seems pretty reasonable after 2022) without an ability to spread the roster bonus guarantee over the balance years.

As a Vikings fan do you feel his injuries are concerns long term (wearing down physically) or more of a bump in the road? Physically he looks like a bodybuilder and not sure if that might contribute to some injury issues considering the physical beating NFL players are subjected to.

Can any resident cap/contract guru help me understand Hunter's contract? Here is spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/danielle-hunter-16812/

Could the $18.5 million roster be converted to a signing bonus and be spread out over the remaining years? The last two years of the contract don't have any base salaries but dead money. Are they void years? I would think irregardless that there would be base salaries.

6 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Can any resident cap/contract guru help me understand Hunter's contract? Here is spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/danielle-hunter-16812/

Could the $18.5 million roster be converted to a signing bonus and be spread out over the remaining years? The last two years of the contract don't have any base salaries but dead money. Are they void years? I would think irregardless that there would be base salaries.

Yup. It could be. Those last two years are void years.

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Yup. It could be. Those last two years are void years.

So aren't void years usually something that either the team, player or both could void....but it isn't automatically triggered? I keep thinking that there would be a base salary for every contract year even if it is a "voidable" year? It would make sense to have the league minimum base salary not be guaranteed so it comes off of the cap hit IF the year is voided as anticipated. In that case the only "dead money" or cap hit would be the prorated portion.

17 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

So aren't void years usually something that either the team, player or both could void....but it isn't automatically triggered? I keep thinking that there would be a base salary for every contract year even if it is a "voidable" year? It would make sense to have the league minimum base salary not be guaranteed so it comes off of the cap hit IF the year is voided as anticipated. In that case the only "dead money" or cap hit would be the prorated portion.

No. Void years are automatically triggered as a first day of league year cut during the first voidable year. All remaining guarantees hit the cap in that first voidable year.

Example

Player is signed through 2023 with normal years, but has 3 void years.

Contract hits are:

2022: $20M Salary, $5M signing bonus proration - $25M cap hit

2023: $22M salary, $5M signing bonus proration - $27M cap hit

2024: $2M void year, $5M signing bonus proration - $10M cap hit

2025: $2M void year, $5M signing bonus proration - $0 cap hit

It's done this way to take that $10M of bonus money and push it out just past the last year of the contract so you can have the extra $5M/year in cap space.

Edited by scar988