2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

22 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Yes; however, he's locked in until about 35 years old at the end of the third season so realistically it's unlikely he'd get franchised at $50mil or whatever it'll be by then to play one season at 35. I'd expect him to be extended by then another year or two of he's still healthy and elite. I do agree that they got what they wanted, but the team gets him happy for most likely the last three years of his prime.

He's really only locked in for two more years. Third year the guaranteed/big money depends on if he retires or not. He did get a no trade clause and got a nice raise for 2 years. If he sticks around for the 3rd year he gets paid big then with a $5m roster bonus and a $20m option bonus.

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

With how offensive heavy the league is trending, I’m beginning to question if  ANY defensive player is more valuable than the truly elite WR’s.

For me, it just ties into how much a massive impact a QB makes vs any other position.

That's why Donald is more valuable, especially than any WR - his ability to disrupt the QB. The Packers were 7-0 without Adams. The Rams have won games without Kupp. But our pass rush probably falls apart without AD. And without a pass rush, Jamar Chase probably catches a game winning TD pass in the Super Bowl.

38 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Ban him for life.

I originally thought the NFL would go soft and give him like 6-8 games but now nothing would surprise me really.

I imagine it’s an indefinite suspension that lasts the year then they re evaluate for next season if it’s blown over or not.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

With how offensive heavy the league is trending, I’m beginning to question if  ANY defensive player is more valuable than the truly elite WR’s.

For me, it just ties into how much a massive impact a QB makes vs any other position.

I don’t think it’s D tackle vs receiver, it’s more that a game breaking player is worth 25-30 mil a year nowadays.

Receivers may be trending up way faster than defence but Donald is still every bit as capable of taking a game over as Davante Adams.

• Like 2

Also, can fans please stop crying about players getting “overpaid and eating too much cap”? The Rams, Saints, and Bucs have made it abundantly clear that the cap is only as real as it coincides with ownership’s wilingness to open the wallet.

this is why I think having good players>>>> cap space 10/10 

1 hour ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Also, can fans please stop crying about players getting “overpaid and eating too much cap”? The Rams, Saints, and Bucs have made it abundantly clear that the cap is only as real as it coincides with ownership’s wilingness to open the wallet.

this is why I think having good players>>>> cap space 10/10 

The cap is very real, there are just a lot of people who don't understand how the cap works saying it isn't.

The Rams, in free agency this year, signed two players who played >40% of snaps for another team last year, those being, of course, Bobby Wagner and Allen Robinson. The Rams lost, however, 6 players who played >40% of snaps for the Rams, to another team. Next year will make 5 straight drafts the Rams have been awarded comp picks, because they've lost more players than they've gained. The Rams lost >$50M in APY in free agency this year. The spent roughly $25M in additions. That's not the cap being fake, that's really basic math. The cap is real and working as intended, people just remember the two flashy signings the Rams make, and forget the 5+ guys other teams poached hoping to get a piece of what LAR has created. In two years, the Saints have lost Trey Hendrickson, Sheldon Rankins, Terron Armstead, and Marcus Williams, all good players they would've loved to have kept on roster, but they couldn't because the cap is real. The Bucs are a bit of an anomaly, but they're just doing what the Pats did around 2017/2018/2019, in pushing the bill past the point they believe Brady will retire. They'll foot the bill when Brady moves on, and they don't expect to be competitive anyway. It's why the Pats just kind of took the L in 2020. They were paying a QB $14M to win a superbowl in Tampa. Tampa is slated to have like $50M in dead money next year because of this (which they will inevitably restructure around if Tom wants to run it back again.) And they had $20M already this year.

In one year, sure, you can do whatever you want. If a team wants to use signing bonuses and void years to build a one year dream team and spend 2 years worth of cap, to blow it up and pay for it in year 2, you can do that. But you do pay for it. Every cent actually paid to a player will hit the cap at some point. You can do a ton of shenanigans to change when, but that's it. 

It's just easier for people who don't know what they're talking about to say the cap isn't real, rather than actually look at what these teams lose in exchange for what they do, and look at how the great ones make up for it (the Rams, for instance, make up for all the players they've lost these past years by drafting and developing talent at an absurd rate, and having a huge success rate on the trades and free agency moves they do make. They'll lose 5 guys in free agency and gain 2, and the 2 will wind up outproducing the 5, just from good coaching, scheme, and evaluation. And they'll replace the last 3 with 6th round picks for the same reason.) And you could throw out other teams and it will be the same story. The Chiefs, the Ravens, the Packers. They lose players constantly but they make the right choices about which ones to keep, they go aggressive at the right time, and they restock on talent incredibly well. Teams like the Bills, the Bengals, will be the next teams to face this test. If they fail, no one will remember them, and how losing talent they added originally will hurt them going forward. If they succeed, more people that don't understand why they succeed will say the cap is magic when they pay 2 guys $40M per year combined, but let 5 other guys walk to bad teams for $50M.

• Like 10

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=4399641

Hardin has said the women who have accused Watson of sexual misconduct are lying. He had ample opportunity to make his case to the district attorney’s office. Through a public records request, The Times reviewed the communications between Hardin and the prosecutors in Watson’s criminal cases. These messages revealed extensive communication between the two sides and demonstrated, at the least, the value of a well-paid and well-connected lawyer.

But yeah - Rusty Hardin totes didn't have any influences on the Grand Jury and that outcome. [/sarcasm]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Now that a team is implicated in the cover up I think Watson gets a mega suspension. 

Likewise, I think those inside the Texans organization - specifically, Head of Security Brent Naccara and VP of Operations Jack Easterby - need to be banned from the NFL if there's suspicion they were trying to aid in covering these things up. Naccara is already listed on record via the civil cases, but Easterby's communications need to be turned over as a part of Discovery.

In addition, the McNair family should be standing on the same ground as Jerry Richardson was; If this happened on their watch, by people inside their organization they had picked to be in these roles (specifically their VP of Operations, Easterby - where it's clear he's their hand picked consigliere) then they need to be forced to sell.

Unacceptable, absolutely unacceptable.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, I think those inside the Texans organization - specifically, Head of Security Brent Naccara and VP of Operations Jack Easterby - need to be banned from the NFL if there's suspicion they were trying to aid in covering these things up. Naccara is already listed on record, but Easterby's communications need to be turned over as a part of Discovery.

In addition, the McNair family should be standing on the same ground as Jerry Richardson was; If this happened on their watch, by people inside their organization they had picked to be in these roles (specifically their VP of Operations, Easterby - where it's clear he's their hand picked consigliere) then they need to be forced to sell.

Unacceptable, absolutely unacceptable.

Wow

My wagon is getting loaded.

The tough part here is that there is alot of excellent people going to get tossed to the wolves over Deshaun. 

But nobody in Cleveland fits in that room.

The fans that hoped this was the right move.

That said Houston new that the number was incorrect and the Browns should get there picks back.

Edited by mtmmike
Stupid

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The cap is very real, there are just a lot of people who don't understand how the cap works saying it isn't.

The Rams, in free agency this year, signed two players who played >40% of snaps for another team last year, those being, of course, Bobby Wagner and Allen Robinson. The Rams lost, however, 6 players who played >40% of snaps for the Rams, to another team. Next year will make 5 straight drafts the Rams have been awarded comp picks, because they've lost more players than they've gained. The Rams lost >$50M in APY in free agency this year. The spent roughly $25M in additions. That's not the cap being fake, that's really basic math. The cap is real and working as intended, people just remember the two flashy signings the Rams make, and forget the 5+ guys other teams poached hoping to get a piece of what LAR has created. In two years, the Saints have lost Trey Hendrickson, Sheldon Rankins, Terron Armstead, and Marcus Williams, all good players they would've loved to have kept on roster, but they couldn't because the cap is real. The Bucs are a bit of an anomaly, but they're just doing what the Pats did around 2017/2018/2019, in pushing the bill past the point they believe Brady will retire. They'll foot the bill when Brady moves on, and they don't expect to be competitive anyway. It's why the Pats just kind of took the L in 2020. They were paying a QB $14M to win a superbowl in Tampa. Tampa is slated to have like $50M in dead money next year because of this (which they will inevitably restructure around if Tom wants to run it back again.) And they had $20M already this year.

In one year, sure, you can do whatever you want. If a team wants to use signing bonuses and void years to build a one year dream team and spend 2 years worth of cap, to blow it up and pay for it in year 2, you can do that. But you do pay for it. Every cent actually paid to a player will hit the cap at some point. You can do a ton of shenanigans to change when, but that's it. 

It's just easier for people who don't know what they're talking about to say the cap isn't real, rather than actually look at what these teams lose in exchange for what they do, and look at how the great ones make up for it (the Rams, for instance, make up for all the players they've lost these past years by drafting and developing talent at an absurd rate, and having a huge success rate on the trades and free agency moves they do make. They'll lose 5 guys in free agency and gain 2, and the 2 will wind up outproducing the 5, just from good coaching, scheme, and evaluation. And they'll replace the last 3 with 6th round picks for the same reason.) And you could throw out other teams and it will be the same story. The Chiefs, the Ravens, the Packers. They lose players constantly but they make the right choices about which ones to keep, they go aggressive at the right time, and they restock on talent incredibly well. Teams like the Bills, the Bengals, will be the next teams to face this test. If they fail, no one will remember them, and how losing talent they added originally will hurt them going forward. If they succeed, more people that don't understand why they succeed will say the cap is magic when they pay 2 guys $40M per year combined, but let 5 other guys walk to bad teams for $50M.

Hmm makes sense I definitely wasn’t paying attention to who was lost. I guess I’m more just annoyed with fans who think acquiring good players is a net loss if they’re well paid. 

I do disagree that you have to mortgage your future to keep them. I don’t see why the Rams couldn’t do the void years thing kicking the can down the road until the inevitable collapse of society. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

The tough part here is that there is alot of excellent people going to get tossed to the wolves over Deshaun. 

But nobody in Cleveland fits in that room.

I don't think anyone in the Texans organization fits this room, either. I've made my thoughts on Jack Easterby very apparent over the past 3-4 years; Nothing has really changed. Ditto the McNair family, who has a documented record of subtle racism and oppression/retaliation of those who don't hold the same "views" as they do (look up Amy Palcic if you want an example of how close minded and petty the Texans ownership team can be). 

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

That said Houston new that the number was incorrect and the Browns should get there picks back.

THIS part I question - even if the numbers were fabricated, the Browns still knew the number was at 22, with potential to grow. The Browns stated they did "their own investigation" and still chose to move forward with their trade and record setting contract - so either they investigated this and knew there were more cases, or they didn't investigate this at all. 

Either way, they took a chance knowing this could blow up (and even structured the contract to keep Watson from losing too much money when he was suspended). There's no scenario where the Browns deserve to get anything back. 

The "fairest" solution would be to remove the pick from both teams - neither Browns or Texans get it. Just have 31 first round picks the next two years. Texans GM Nick Caserio knew nothing about this issue coming into this job from New England, so he's the only "innocent" person impacted by this potential solution.

Everyone else has blood on their hands, IMO.

• Like 4