Free Agency Thread

BStanRamFan

49 minutes ago, JonStark said:

All depends on what we could get back for him. Yes, he's a great locker room guy but if trading him can improve the team (player and salary wise) more than moving Van will, he's gone. I just hope it's worth it because it's going to hurt to see him go. 

Agreed. If we were to come away with a 2nd or even 3rd (or quality player at CB or Edge) then I’d be okay with it. If it ends up being like what the Cowboys did with Cooper just sending him off for a 5th, then I’d be irate. Time will tell

• Like 1

If we trade Woods I would want it to be for someone like Hunter to replace what we loss in Von. If it’s for picks I want a 2nd or a 3rd + a later round pick. The Rams definitely aren’t going to give Woods away like the Cowboys did Cooper. I thought the Packers gave Adams away. The Rams aren’t going to do that with Woods. 

18 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

If we trade Woods I would want it to be for someone like Hunter to replace what we loss in Von. If it’s for picks I want a 2nd or a 3rd + a later round pick. The Rams definitely aren’t going to give Woods away like the Cowboys did Cooper. I thought the Packers gave Adams away. The Rams aren’t going to do that with Woods. 

I agree, I'm just worried how much more MIN would need for Hunter. If Woods and a 5th gets it done, I'm on board. Otherwise I would probably just prefer moving Van for a pick.

The more I think about it though, Woods is probably gone. If we are really still interested in OBJ, come December, who do you bench between Woods/AR/OBJ? Either Woods gets dealt or OBJ isn't back. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flounch said:

I would hate this move....

I wouldn't love it, but I'd get it.  Even looking back to last season, it's hard to argue that Les and Sean didn't start taking advantage even back then of our front office and coaching staff having been poached because of Les and Sean's accrued success.  Brad Holmes - who was on the staff and heavily involved in the scouting and drafting of Jard Goff - gets the job as the Detroit GM and L/S were presented with the opportunity to unload Goff on Detroit while picking up Stafford.

KOC/Wes Phillips now going to Minny as HC/OC, and while Bobby Trees is a heart and soul of this receiving corps, he's also a pseudo-coach on the field that can help lead that WR corps and could, potentially, help cement Jefferson as a mini-Kupp (still think they're probably ultimately capped by Cousins who can be productive, but has some of the same consistency issues Goff had).

Vikings are clearly trying to move Hunter before Sunday when they'd either have to convert the $18.5M roster bonus he's due to over this and the next, final, year of his contract or extend him (which would likely mean locking him in at ~$17m APY for at least through his age 32 season in order to pull off that restructuring of his bonus and free up the cap space they're after this season - and Hunter would have all the leverage in the world to hold them over a barrel, at a time when they're not exactly looking tremendously strong to make the playoffs in the immediate future.

• Like 1

Don't know anybody trying to push Robert Woods out the door. I've seen a whole lot of people get offended at the simple idea of it though. It's pretty funny last year this time it was all about "how dare you doubt McVay and Snead" now this year it's how they couldn't possibly trade Woods away. If it makes the team better in the minds of those 2 people then go for it. Won't like it but will learn to live with it.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Don't know anybody trying to push Robert Woods out the door. I've seen a whole lot of people get offended at the simple idea of it though. It's pretty funny last year this time it was all about "how dare you doubt McVay and Snead" now this year it's how they couldn't possibly trade Woods away. If it makes the team better in the minds of those 2 people then go for it. Won't like it but will learn to live with it.

I preface by saying that I like Bobby Trees... a lot (which is saying something coming from me, an avowed USC-hater), but this is also a business.  And if, as they've already shown, this front office is capable of going the "it's just business" route with Hekker, they're perfectly capable of doing it with Bobby.  That said, and this is something I've been clear on for a while, if we're trading him we need to be benefiting from it noticeably and in a concrete way - this is why I was always against the idea of "cutting him for cap relief," because just having the space was no guarantee (even with Les) that it was going to be transmitted into a signing that significantly benefited the team.  I'm not just trading Woods to trade him, and personally I'd rather leverage him to get a veteran contributor than for anything less than a Day 2 draft pick (so basically a pick before the first one we're currently schedule to be on the clock with).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Dante Fowler signed with Dallas

And I am perfectly fine with that.  Honestly, I won't be surprised if all we sign at the EDGE position (trades are a different story) between now and June is a Ogbonnia replacement that won't affect the comp formula.  We have Floyd, we have T-Lew who should continue to develop.  We tend to do our best work in that area after the draft is done and teams start making cuts to accommodate/service the guys they selected.  Maybe we see Morgan Fox back because he was cut and doesn't affect the formula, and there's the OO replacement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

And I am perfectly fine with that.  Honestly, I won't be surprised if all we sign at the EDGE position (trades are a different story) between now and June is a Ogbonnia replacement that won't affect the comp formula.  We have Floyd, we have T-Lew who should continue to develop.  We tend to do our best work in that area after the draft is done and teams start making cuts to accommodate/service the guys they selected.  Maybe we see Morgan Fox back because he was cut and doesn't affect the formula, and there's the OO replacement.

If he can stay healthy, I’d be very excited to see what Lewis can do.