Bears trading DE Khalil Mack to the Chargers

AFlaccoSeagulls

29 minutes ago, viking said:

Love the move for the Chargers - maximise Herbert's rookie deal. Mack is going to feast next year as the number 2 edge rusher.

Bears doing the opposite to the chargers and throwing away Fields rookie deal and going through a rebuild. As a vikings fan you love to see it.

Fields was already trash last year and the bears plan is to trot him out with an even worse supporting cast?

Maybe defensively, but with some free’d up cap space and extra draft pick they can build up that OL and add weapons around Fields.

22 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Maybe defensively, but with some free’d up cap space and extra draft pick they can build up that OL and add weapons around Fields.

I can't stand the types of fans who label Rookie QBs trash despite being drafted into absolute crap teams. 

Justin Fields is an A+ QB talent who never stood a chance behind Chicago's O-Line (and you could see it coming just during preseason alone). 

Justin Fields is going to become an X-Factor throughout the next 2-3 years of developing while Chicago, um; builds around him. 

17 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Trust me I would have liked more compensation too but if you've already decided to go in that direction as a franchise and that's the best offer you could get then what more can you do?

For as good as a player that Mack is, the new staff probably figured this Bears team has too many holes to fix in a short amount of time and it's always better to get compensation for an aging player one year early than 1 year too late.

Plus with Bears moving back to a 4-3 and Mack having played exclusively in a 3-4 in his NFL career, and with Bears having two other fully capable DE's in Robert Quinn (18.5 sacks in 2021/2nd in NFL last season) and Trevis Gipson (7 sacks in 2021) you can understand why they made the move

Dont disagree with this post but Mack played 4-3 SLB and DE for the Raiders and was selected All Pro 4-3 DE one of those years 🙂

21 hours ago, Forge said:

The biggest concern I would think for Mack is health. Missed 10 games last year and on the wrong side of 30. Hasn't hit 10 sacks since 2018, but I think he's been a pressure machine. 

I mean he's missed like what, 3 games before last season? As long as his foot recovered fine from the surgery I don't see why he should be of any particular injury concern other than the fact that he now plays for the Chargers.

I don't think anyone is expecting 2017-2018 Mac but he doesn't really need to be that when he has Bosa opposite of him. He should still be really good.

This is a fairly low risk move in any case. The worst case scenario is he doesn't workout, we cut him for very little dead cap next year and the only loss is a 2nd round pick. (Which is obviously nothing to scoff at, but it's not the end of the world)

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t forget the two best divisions (by far) in the NFL play each other this year: The AFC West and NFC West. So one of the other six divisions may finish with better records and look like the better overall division, but we know who the real two best divisions actually are. 

I'm not sure the NFC West is definitively any better than the AFC North with Wilson gone. Rams and Cardinals should be good. Who knows what the 49ers look like. Seattle will probably be picking top 5.

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Now all we need is Carr to the Colts for a monster haul (Eisen said it would be a YOLO offer, according to the people he knows there) to cap off this day. 

Carr would go from 4th best QB in the AFC West to 100% the best QB of the AFC South (if Watson doesn’t play). 

To be fair I wouldn't count out TLAW having a breakout year with no more Urban Meyer.

But yeah, he likely would be.

• Like 1

Yikes. I get that the Bears are in a rebuild. They've been "rebuilding" for much of the last decade just like us. But a 2nd rounder?

Makes you think there's something they aren't telling us. Like Khalil was sacrificing goats in the shower room or something, and they had to get him out of Chicago for their own safety. And the goats'.

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I'm not sure the NFC West is definitively any better than the AFC North with Wilson gone. Rams and Cardinals should be good. Who knows what the 49ers look like. Seattle will probably be picking top 5.

The 49ers can plug any QB and still hit 10 wins, their skill players make the QB, not the other way around

Surely this is the Chargers year, they still got plenty of cap and the draft left to solidify an already great roster. If they can get Jordan Davis or Devonte Wyatt with their first rounder, then they are more than set at defensive line. They did not have to give away too much for Mack either, so they still have decent draft resources. 

1 minute ago, Manny/Patrick said:

The 49ers can plug any QB and still hit 10 wins, their skill players make the QB, not the other way around

The 49ers have won 10+ games twice since 2014.

Obviously those 2 times resulted in them going to the NFC CG and Super Bowl, respectively.

But the Niners are hardly a team you can count on to be winning 10+ games from year to year.

Edited by Bolts223

1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

The 49ers have won 10+ games twice since 2014.

Obviously those 2 times resulted in them going to the NFC CG and Super Bowl, respectively.

But the Niners are hardly a team you can count on to be winning 10+ games from year to year.

True, but with the team right now. If Lance plays just decent I don’t see how they don’t get to 10, barring injuries of course. Also with the exception of like 5 QBs in the league any QB could throw screens to deebo and kittle

9 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

True, but with the team right now. If Lance plays just decent I don’t see how they don’t get to 10, barring injuries of course. Also with the exception of like 5 QBs in the league any QB could throw screens to deebo and kittle

Pretty brutal schedule.

4x games against the Rams/Cardinals.

Play the Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos as well.

And one of the other teams on their schedule like the Saints/Bucs/Commanders/etc. may have Watson as well.

I think it's certainly a high possibility that they win 10+ games next year but I don't think it's a given.

Edited by Bolts223