Bears trading DE Khalil Mack to the Chargers

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean he's missed like what, 3 games before last season? As long as his foot recovered fine from the surgery I don't see why he should be of any particular injury concern other than the fact that he now plays for the Chargers.

I don't think anyone is expecting 2017-2018 Mac but he doesn't really need to be that when he has Bosa opposite of him. He should still be really good.

This is a fairly low risk move in any case. The worst case scenario is he doesn't workout, we cut him for very little dead cap next year and the only loss is a 2nd round pick. (Which is obviously nothing to scoff at, but it's not the end of the world)

The two season previous to last season he played through nagging injuries all season, I believe he was even on the weekly injury report almost every week.

12 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

The two season previous to last season he played through nagging injuries all season, I believe he was even on the weekly injury report almost every week.

Time for our sports science guy to work his magic then.

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean he's missed like what, 3 games before last season? As long as his foot recovered fine from the surgery I don't see why he should be of any particular injury concern other than the fact that he now plays for the Chargers.

You don't typically get healthier the older you get. The body breaks down. 31 can be treacherous territory for an edge rusher. 

I'm fine with the move, I think it's a good one. 

18 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Are they still the ChargIRs or is that over with now, I honestly don't know.

We actually did pretty well last year on the injury front. We’ll see if it carries over to Staley’s second year. This is what Ekeler said:

Finally, the Chargers were able to stay mostly healthy. They finished in the bottom five in the league in games lost due to injury, according to Man Games Lost. And this is not an accident. Sure, some luck was involved. But Staley made player health a priority as soon as he arrived, and he instituted policies and mechanisms that kept the Chargers healthier than they have been in recent seasons.

“There’s always a luck factor, but he’s definitely made an emphasis of it,” Ekeler told me in the week leading up to the season finale. “That’s him listening to the team. Look, we’ve had a lot of injuries that have affected our past seasons, for as long as I’ve been here. So, I think he’s kind of caught up to the times as far as taking modern medicine and modern practices, all the activation stuff we do. Literally for 30 minutes before every practice, we do rollouts and we do band work and we do all this stuff that I think has played a huge part to our success on the field because we’re healthy, we’re stretched, everything is good to go. The game keeps getting faster. The people keep getting bigger, people keep getting stronger, so we need to actually update our old methods of training and protecting ourselves.

“In any staff that I’ve been involved in, I’ve never had as much activation, stretching, band work. I’ve never had as much as what we’re required to do right now. I’ve been playing football a long time, and this is the most I’ve ever rolled out, stretched and got ready to practice.”

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

You don't typically get healthier the older you get. The body breaks down. 31 can be treacherous territory for an edge rusher. 

I'm fine with the move, I think it's a good one. 

Yeah I get that but Edge rushers of his caliber have been productive well into their 30's.

Injuries obviously happen but Mack generally doesn't miss many games. Last year was the first time he did and it was because of a season ending foot surgery. (I'd be more concerned if he was just constantly missing games the entire year because of nagging injuries to muscles, joints, etc)

I don't think there are any signs of his body actually breaking down in a significant way.

Edited by Bolts223

It’s football, guys get hurt and that’s a physical violent position. Mack has less of an injury history than Bosa or Derwin and we’re gonna drop the bag on both of those guys. Sure, he’s on the wrong side of 30. But he’s 30 going on 31 into the season. I’d suspect he can stay very productive for his 31,32, and 33 year old seasons. After that, I’d start to worry.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

We actually did pretty well last year on the injury front. We’ll see if it carries over to Staley’s second year. This is what Ekeler said:

He learned from the best at that. We've been "lucky" with injuries most years under McVay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah I get that but Edge rushers of his caliber have been productive well into their 30's.

Injuries obviously happen but Mack generally doesn't miss many games. Last year was the first time he did and it was because of a season ending foot surgery. (I'd be more concerned if he was just constantly missing games the entire year because of nagging injuries to muscles, joints, etc)

I don't think there are any signs of his body actually breaking down in a significant way.

His body isi definitely breaking down. I get your excited about the pickup and you should be but his production over the last 3 seasons speaks for itself. Mack is clearly in decline and is nowhere near the dominant player he once was.

Edited by StatKing

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

His body isi definitely breaking down. I get your excited about the pickup and you should be but his production over the last 3 seasons speaks for itself. Mack is clearly in decline and is nowhere near the dominant player he once was.

We’re hoping for a Von Miller like resurgence with our sports science program, and Bosa taking pressure off the other side. 

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

If he is a intergral part of us winning a SB this season. I wouldnt care what he does the following seasons. Its not like we're banking on him hitting his stride come 2024 or something. Plus what he can do for our locker room is  a underrated aspect. 

• Like 1