Bears trading DE Khalil Mack to the Chargers

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

He's 31 and coming off a season where he only played 7 games. Hasn't had double-digit sacks since 2018. Those big cap numbers are for his age 31-33 seasons. Compensation makes sense IMO considering you have a pretty big risk of paying $$$ for decline years.

True, to a degree.  There are no guarantees on the money, but the money is large.  If he ends up not being worth the price-tag they're able to get out of the contract - say in future years - without any kind of dead money hits.  It's leveraging a 2nd round pick, but given Telesco's history of 2nd round picks...*

*For the record, IIRC, his record is usually that he for several years following making a good 2nd round pick he tends to either trade away his 2nd or invest it really poorly (or manage to do both at the same time - looking at you Kenneth Murray!).  It pretty much was the way things went down after the Hunter Henry pick; now consider last year with the Asante Samuel Jr. pick.  It's a solid hedging against your own proneness to numbnuttery by Telesco and Spanos.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

So just like Von Miller last year?

Beat me to it. 

Joining a team with other stud defenders makes a huge difference. Look at Dante Fowler's and Leonard Floyd's careers before and after they were playing next to AD. Mack joining Bosa and having a guy like Derwin behind him is a scary thought, and they didn't even have to trade a 1st rounder for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr LBC said:

True, to a degree.  There are no guarantees on the money, but the money is large.  If he ends up not being worth the price-tag they're able to get out of the contract - say in future years - without any kind of dead money hits.  It's leveraging a 2nd round pick, but given Telesco's history of 2nd round picks...*

*For the record, IIRC, his record is usually that he for several years following making a good 2nd round pick he tends to either trade away his 2nd or invest it really poorly (or manage to do both at the same time - looking at you Kenneth Murray!).  It pretty much was the way things went down after the Hunter Henry pick; now consider last year with the Asante Samuel Jr. pick.  It's a solid hedging against your own proneness to numbnuttery by Telesco and Spanos.

Sure, but ability to get out of the contract with no dead money is what makes it go from even lesser compensation to what they ended up getting. You're trading the second round pick for the right to pay him a very high salary number right now during what very well may be his decline years. I don't think the ideal scenario when parting with a second round pick would be to get one year of a player at market rate (whereas a 2nd rounder has expected excess value vs. the cap). 

Now all we need is Carr to the Colts for a monster haul (Eisen said it would be a YOLO offer, according to the people he knows there) to cap off this day. 

Carr would go from 4th best QB in the AFC West to 100% the best QB of the AFC South (if Watson doesn’t play). 

19 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Sort of.  His guarantees have all already been paid out.  His '22 salary is $12M with $5.5M roster bonuses annually; and his '23 and '24 salaries jump to ~$17.5M.

This is completely inline with what should have been expected from Staley though - you commit your premium assets in the premium impact spots.  And, likely not seeing many options for young, perhaps miscast IDL who he liked for his scheme, this was a move that made the most sense.  It's why in spite of his great combine I don't think Jordan Davis is really as high on the Chargers' radar as people what to assume he is (honestly, I won't be surprised if some team takes him before they even get to the Chargers' pick).  Folks have to remember that Staley was identifying guys like A'Shawn Robinson and Greg Gaines (a guy who most draft analysts crapped all over) as fits for his scheme and both turned out swimmingly well.

I won't be surprised if CB isn't higher on the Chargers ladder of priorities than DT is where the draft is concerned, especially in the 1st.

I expect the Chargers will go after SJD. He's grown into a good interior DL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I expect the Chargers will go after SJD. He's grown into a good interior DL.

If they do any sort of restructure with Mack - which I kind of expect them to do, even if I don't think it's particularly the move I'd make to create guarantees for a guy coming off foot-surgery - and cut Brian Bulaga (which was kind of expected anyway), they're still going to be sitting on right around $48m in cap space.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Sure, but ability to get out of the contract with no dead money is what makes it go from even lesser compensation to what they ended up getting. You're trading the second round pick for the right to pay him a very high salary number right now during what very well may be his decline years. I don't think the ideal scenario when parting with a second round pick would be to get one year of a player at market rate (whereas a 2nd rounder has expected excess value vs. the cap). 

Which is why I'm pretty confident they're going to try and restructure him (and he'd have incentive to because he has no guaranteed money scheduled).  It's a risk.  I'd rather be the guy taking the risk for the homerun than settling for the safe single, because there are certain aspects of moneyball theory that work in the NFL and others that just leave you miring in mediocrity where you best hope is that you end up like the Vikings and you may make the playoffs or win the division in an off-year, but you're going to need one heck of a bolt of lucky lightning to strike you to be a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

And honestly, given the freaky nature of Mack as an athlete - my bigger concern would be him coming off a season-ending foot injury that required surgery (specifically for a player making his bones off his explosiveness) than I would be concerned about a decline from dwindling athletic ability due to age or wear and tear.