Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

So he had two of the most incompetent coaches imaginable his first two years, took the Browns to a level they hadn't reached in decades his third year, and fought through an injury last year.

Dude has every right to be pissed and ask for a trade.  Let them deny it.  Get your 5th year option money.  Make them tag you twice.  Then give them the bird on the way out.

Washington is still suffering the ramifications from Cousins doing that to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Really disliked him as a personality coming out of college. My opinion hasn't changed.

I really didnt want him, vividly remember him being drafted.  I was a Darnold guy. 

I think he is  a competent nfl qb that will bounce between top 10-25, he is inconsistent. He does have a ton of potential, he can throw a great ball, has a big arm- he does see the field poorly though and can have a slow trigger. 

He isnt a plus athlete either which hurts him. 

I think he can be a good nfl starter- but it seems his personality is grating. 

That said I like the guy, he is tough, I think he loves his teammates, even they dont feel the same way. 

The problem is ego- he sees himself as a top tier nfl qb, and he isnt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

I really didnt want him, vividly remember him being drafted.  I was a Darnold guy. 

I think he is  a competent nfl qb that will bounce between top 10-25, he is inconsistent. He does have a ton of potential, he can throw a great ball, has a big arm- he does see the field poorly though and can have a slow trigger. 

He isnt a plus athlete either which hurts him. 

I think he can be a good nfl starter- but it seems his personality is grating. 

That said I like the guy, he is tough, I think he loves his teammates, even they dont feel the same way. 

The problem is ego- he sees himself as a top tier nfl qb, and he isnt.

I agree fully with this summary. If he could get out his own way he has the ability to make himself a lot more money. Has some moxy to him, but appears immature.

Just now, incognito_man said:

I agree fully with this summary. If he could get out his own way he has the ability to make himself a lot more money. Has some moxy to him, but appears immature.

The commercials really grated me too- he had a great rookie year, if they started him week 1 it could have been epic. 

Next year he shows up like he has made it. Bro you are 1 year I'm, become a legend not a celebrity.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Point being...Baker has dug this hole himself. Should the Browns not have made the 'adult' comment? Sure (though its true). But Baker acting like his actions and level of play grant him some sort of immunity from criticism is dumb.

The adult comment was uncalled for and the straw. So you want to potentially replace the guy because he isn't an "adult", for a guy who either committed sexual assault against 22 women, or at best case put himself in a position to where he could be accused of committing assault against them. Thats definitely the type of guy I want as the face of my franchise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Except every other player in the world understands it's a business and they would fight for their job.

Not Baker, who still thinks he is a college bro and this is the transfer portal.

He did this same thing at Texas Tech when he lost his job to Mills and Mahomes. Got pissy pants and quit.

So like what Deshaun literally did to Houston? And that's the guy the Browns wanted? 

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I were Baker too. Don't slam me because I played injured and it wasn't great. At least I played and didn't quit on my team right after getting a massive extension I cried about on live TV. 

If my organization trashed me in favor of a proven quitter, I'd definitely be prone to telling them to shove it. 

• Like 2

I don't think Baker is pissy or a baby, I think he's smart.

If he stays and plays well, he gets franchised and another prove it year.
If he stays and plays bad, he gets cut and goes down the backup journeyman route.

If he gets traded and plays well, it was always the Browns being Browns and he's going to get paid.
If he gets traded and plays bad, it's his first year in a new system and might be worth another year.

Baker’s personality at his position is refreshing. Wish there were more Baker personalities than Russell Wilson personalities.

He also has every right to be annoyed. I still don’t know if he’s a good QB or not. I do. know he’s not great though. That said, Browns flirted with another woman, told their current partner that they want someone better (imagine telling a woman you’re breaking up with her because I found somebody better and the supposedly better woman is broiled in controversy), then didn’t get girl they were after and decided to run back their ex and said sorry we are not breaking up.

lol Baker is in the right here after my long analogy that nobody asked for.

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Baker’s personality at his position is refreshing. Wish there were more Baker personalities than Russell Wilson personalities.

He also has every right to be annoyed. I still don’t know if he’s a good QB or not. I do. know he’s not great though. That said, Browns flirted with another woman, told their current partner that they want someone better (imagine telling a woman you’re breaking up with her because I found somebody better and the supposedly better woman is broiled in controversy), then didn’t get girl they were after and decided to run back their ex and said sorry we are not breaking up.

lol Baker is in the right here after my long analogy that nobody asked for.

You arent wrong. Telling someone like Baker that you have a hotter side piece that you would prefer she be the main dish is asking for bad, bad breakup. 

• Like 2

My criticism of Baker is purely on the field. Criticizing him for anything else here is disingenuous. IMO the Browns should deal him to Seattle and go through a mini rebuild before this gets even uglier, is a future detractor for dealing with players in bad faith, and they continue to bring trade value down. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

So he had two of the most incompetent coaches imaginable his first two years, took the Browns to a level they hadn't reached in decades his third year, and fought through an injury last year.

Dude has every right to be pissed and ask for a trade.  Let them deny it.  Get your 5th year option money.  Make them tag you twice.  Then give them the bird on the way out.

Washington is still suffering the ramifications from Cousins doing that to them.

What ramifications? Washington has had plenty of drafts to improve the roster since then, that’s not a Cousins failure and they certainly aren’t carrying around his dead cap based on that structure. Washington just hasn’t had a QB as good as Cousins in that time. 

For the record, I'm torn between the Browns trading Baker and watching him sulk and negotiate while "holding out" from a position of weakness with bad 2019 film, bad 2021 film, while being in the "Is he the next Jared Goff?" tier question entering 2023 with a loaded QB draft class and being 27 years old.

Dunking on the Browns is fun, I totally get it.

However, 50%+ of you were the same dudes dunking on the Browns for him being the QB to begin with, so which is it here? You can't have it both ways.

Go ahead and dunk on the Browns for how they've handled this, but you folks said they should upgrade, and then when they try to, you mock them.

Half of you: LMAO Browns go ahead and pay Baker and still irrelevant

Also Half of you: LMAO Browns run Baker out of town who is the only QB you've had in 30 years to get you to relevance and fall back down in the cellar

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Also, hot take:

The Browns denying Baker's trade request is a ploy to drive up his trade value since reports indicate thus far only 1 team has really shown interest (the Seahawks). 

They're going to wait for Watson to sign, and then they might have multiple teams interested in Baker vs. who they have on their roster/or other potentially disgruntled QB's (ATL/CAR/NO losers as well as Seattle and maybe INDY).