Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My mind is honestly blown that Carolina, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh all decided to go other directions. I feel like Baker is worth more of a shot than Trubisky, Mariota, and whatever Carolina is planning. I'd take him over Jalen Hurts and Daniel Jones too.

All of the pundits that share this kind of take and are surprised by what's happening with him just weren't clear eyed in their evaluation of him all along. It's not entirely about what he's put on film, but it's at least 60% the reason. 30% is the money/contract. and 10% are the intangibles.

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Do people really think that a viable NFL strategy is to decide to suck for an entire season in March?

All of these teams are made up of coaches and GMs who want to keep their jobs. Getting a Mayfield, or whoever, and getting your team to 9-8 or so might mean an owner keeps everyone around, and no one gets fired.

FO's certainly look more than a year ahead though. Most teams won't go full 2017' Sashi Brown but I definitely think ATL, Caro, Seattle, Pitt, and NYG are all squinting at the potential trove of franchise level QB prospects available in 2023. None of those teams are legit viewing their guys right now as long term solutions.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

All of the pundits that share this kind of take and are surprised by what's happening with him just weren't clear eyed in their evaluation of him all along. It's not entirely about what he's put on film, but it's at least 60% the reason. 30% is the money/contract. and 10% are the intangibles.

I don't agree.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy at least has the benefit of potentially starting for his current team next season. When was the last time we saw a QB get traded right before the season to take over as the starter elsewhere? 

Sam Bradford is the only one who comes to mind

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He sits 

Browns have to pay him if we cut him

Yeah, not sure we cut him. Worst case, we pay him to "stay at home" and hold onto him until a team gets desperate enough to trade for him.

I don't think we'll have him play while Watson is suspended. He'd likely be too much of a distraction and his relationship with the team would just cause trouble.

42 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, not sure we cut him. Worst case, we pay him to "stay at home" and hold onto him until a team gets desperate enough to trade for him.

I don't think we'll have him play while Watson is suspended. He'd likely be too much of a distraction and his relationship with the team would just cause trouble.

If you cut him, even if someone signs him for the vet minimum you at least get that back as an offset. Not sure how much that matters to the Browns brass. 

Honestly, I think you can easily value 20M at like a 5th round pick...if it takes a 5th round pick for Seattle to take him on, Id' do it. 

10 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

FO's certainly look more than a year ahead though. Most teams won't go full 2017' Sashi Brown but I definitely think ATL, Caro, Seattle, Pitt, and NYG are all squinting at the potential trove of franchise level QB prospects available in 2023. None of those teams are legit viewing their guys right now as long term solutions

It is certainly an interesting process to consider for those 5 teams...ATL, Caro, Seattle, Pitt, and NYG

I view ATL, SEA, NYG, CAR as unlikely to be playoff contenders.  So getting a higher draft slot in 2023 very well could be the better long-term plan.  

Do GMs think in those terms of " tanking"?

Then is Baker at $18M better value than....

Mariotta at $4M

Jones at $8M

Lock at $1.5M

Trubisky at $3.6M

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If you cut him, even if someone signs him for the vet minimum you at least get that back as an offset. Not sure how much that matters to the Browns brass. 

Honestly, I think you can easily value 20M at like a 5th round pick...if it takes a 5th round pick for Seattle to take him on, Id' do it. 

Is there offset language in the 5th year option being picked up? I don't think there is. I think if he were cut he could double dip.

Are you saying the Browns give up Baker and a 5th? That would be dumb. Just do what the Texans did with Watson and just let the season roll by. Then you'd at least get a comp pick.

Yeah not having his salary rollover to next year would create issues but that's a gamble I'd take that someone comes calling at some point to try to keep their season alive after an injury.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Is there offset language in the 5th year option being picked up? I don't think there is. I think if he were cut he could double dip.

Are you saying the Browns give up Baker and a 5th? That would be dumb. Just do what the Texans did with Watson and just let the season roll by. Then you'd at least get a comp pick.

Yeah not having his salary rollover to next year would create issues but that's a gamble I'd take that someone comes calling at some point to try to keep their season alive after an injury.

I'd rather have 20 million in space than a fifth round pick. Pretty comfortably

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd rather have 20 million in space than a fifth round pick. Pretty comfortably

I think that is a fair stance.  That then leads to a question if Baker is enough of an upgrade on what a team might have currently at QB to get value out of trading for Baker and his $20M 2022 contract?