Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

It seems like it's down to Carolina, Seattle and possibly Detroit. That said, can one manage Robbie Anderson publicly declaring that he didn't want Baker on the Panthers?

Curious, was this more about his distaste for Baker or RA defending Sam Darnold? The problem with Mayfield going to Carolina has always been Sam Darnold and his immovable 2022 salary. Just don't see it TBH.

Seattle, ATL, Pittsburgh 

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Curious, was this more about his distaste for Baker or RA defending Sam Darnold? The problem with Mayfield going to Carolina has always been Sam Darnold and his immovable 2022 salary. Just don't see it TBH.

Seattle, ATL, Pittsburgh 

If they take on 5-9 million it will be manageable. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If they take on 5-9 million it will be manageable. 

Is there a noticeable difference between Darnold and Mayfield? If indeed it favors Baker, do you honestly think they want a $18M QB sitting the bench? 

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is there a noticeable difference between Darnold and Mayfield? If indeed it favors Baker, do you honestly think they want a $18M QB sitting the bench? 

I think there is a significant difference in quality. 12 points on the passer rating scale. Basically better in every measurable. 

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think there is a significant difference in quality. 12 points on the passer rating scale. Basically better in every measurable. 

I just don't see Carolina trading for Baker with the money they already have tied up in Sam. Might as well trade back, acquire more picks and or a player and draft a Rookie like Pickett,  Willis, Corral. 

This way "if" said Rookie beats Sam out, it justifies the pick. If not you hope the $18M isn't wasted with Darnold in his 2nd season with that OC and move on to that Rookie in 2023.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh I understand its probably going to happen, I just think its stupid.

Responding late here, but don’t get me wrong I agree with you that 18 million for a solid starting QB (for the most part) when healthy shouldn’t be THAT prohibitive. But, I think Baker really hurt himself and his stock by trying to grit it out last year and play through the shoulder. I thought he should’ve been shut down earlier in the season, but he didn’t wanna do that. I think teams also know that the Browns have already sealed Baker’s fate bringing in Watson, so they don’t have a lot of leverage. Your best bet if you want a team to just take the whole contract as is would probably be to just wait it out and hope someone’s starter suffers a significant injury like what happened with Teddy Bridgewater when we traded Sam Bradford to the Vikings.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Responding late here, but don’t get me wrong I agree with you that 18 million for a solid starting QB (for the most part) when healthy shouldn’t be THAT prohibitive. But, I think Baker really hurt himself and his stock by trying to grit it out last year and play through the shoulder. I thought he should’ve been shut down earlier in the season, but he didn’t wanna do that. I think teams also know that the Browns have already sealed Baker’s fate bringing in Watson, so they don’t have a lot of leverage. Your best bet if you want a team to just take the whole contract as is would probably be to just wait it out and hope someone’s starter suffers a significant injury like what happened with Teddy Bridgewater when we traded Sam Bradford to the Vikings.

Agree. I hope Berry has the stones to do it but Im not confident. Seems like they want to just bite the bullet and take the loss on him ASAP.

I can see Baker being moved Friday somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft to a team that doesnt get their QB. Browns will have to eat 1/2 of his salary but get dealt for a 3rd rounder or something like that.

Much rather them just smoke everybody out until a starter gets injured and get better value. Then you get to play the 'well, well, well....how the turntables' card on them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I just don't see Carolina trading for Baker with the money they already have tied up in Sam. Might as well trade back, acquire more picks and or a player and draft a Rookie like Pickett,  Willis, Corral.

Agreed, wholeheartedly.  This is a much better solution than Malik Willis at #6.

Darnold (along with Baker) is a sunk cost.  Paradoxically, the only thing worse than paying  Darnold would be playing  him. 

The fact that Carolina may be the only team that can  pay Mayfield doesn't mean they should.

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

This way "if" said Rookie beats Sam out, it justifies the pick. If not you hope the $18M isn't wasted with Darnold in his 2nd season with that OC and move on to that Rookie in 2023.

If Cleveland eats most of the money for Baker, I think its fine. Sam is 18 million...if you think Baker is an improvement (he is) and the Browns eat half of his salary, you're paying your QB room 28-29 million. Not a huge deal. You're also likely getting Baker for a 2023 pick, not one this year and it's probably a conditional pick and if not, likely a day three pick. 

I assume that if they target Jimmy G, he just takes a straight paycut or the 49ers take Darnold back in the deal. 

• Like 1

Darnold competed with 6 other QBs in 4 years and only one had a higher rating, a SB MVP who went 0-4.

Zach Wilson's 2021 with better Jets talent was worse than any Sam Darnold season.

The only thing worse than Darnold has been almost everyone else so far.

He's not even close to a good QB but give him the Browns and Baker the Jets and Panthers and I'm not holding my breath for greatness for the insurance guy.

Baker has had a B+/A offensive line and an A+ run game for pretty much his entire career and he's been a schmoe. Cleveland has ranked 11th, 4th, 5th, and 1st in ypc since 2018 and Chubb might be the best ypc back in the league. Hunt is a 4.4 back in Cleveland and Johnson is at 5.3 ypc. I can't wait to see Baker on a bad offense.

Edited by SkippyX

2 hours ago, Forge said:

If Cleveland eats most of the money for Baker, I think its fine. Sam is 18 million...if you think Baker is an improvement (he is) and the Browns eat half of his salary, you're paying your QB room 28-29 million. Not a huge deal. You're also likely getting Baker for a 2023 pick, not one this year and it's probably a conditional pick and if not, likely a day three pick. 

I assume that if they target Jimmy G, he just takes a straight paycut or the 49ers take Darnold back in the deal. 

If I'm Cleveland and Carolina, I come up with a legitimate deal to get him there. If you're Rhule and on the line this year, do you really roll with Sam Darnold one more year? I mean, you HAVE to because of that contract...

...BUT

If Cleveland eats 50% of that and you give up a 2023, then you get an upgrade at that position and are paying under $30 million for your quarterback(s) while giving away a pick that you otherwise won't be around to use next year.

...and if you're Cleveland, you get a future asset and unload a portion of that cap number.

Jimmy is rich. Rework Baker's contract to take on a bunch of the cash and basically buy a better draft pick for him. Settle on something like mid rounders that can go as high as 2nd round if certain conditions are met (whoever makes it to the playoffs, if baker starts X amount of games, etc. ) Like what the Eagles did with Wentz to the Colts. 

MC

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If I'm Cleveland and Carolina, I come up with a legitimate deal to get him there. If you're Rhule and on the line this year, do you really roll with Sam Darnold one more year? I mean, you HAVE to because of that contract...

...BUT

If Cleveland eats 50% of that and you give up a 2023, then you get an upgrade at that position and are paying under $30 million for your quarterback(s) while giving away a pick that you otherwise won't be around to use next year.

...and if you're Cleveland, you get a future asset and unload a portion of that cap number.

The problem for Cleveland is that he's not the  only guy out there. Carolina may prefer Jimmy. It's a buyer's market for Carolina unless Seattle is truly in on Baker. I know Breer stated that internally Carolina felt  Baker was redundant with Darnold. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem for Cleveland is that he's not the  only guy out there. Carolina may prefer Jimmy. It's a buyer's market for Carolina unless Seattle is truly in on Baker. I know Breer stated that internally Carolina felt  Baker was redundant with Darnold. 

I think people are underselling Tampa in this. That would actually be his ideal landing spot to allow for himself to recover for a year, learn from GOAT and then take over a stacked team in 2023.

Also, why isnt ATL being discussed? They could be a sleeper too. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking the Mariota experiment is going to last more than 6 games.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Perhaps so. I'd argue ATL, CAR, and Seattle all need QB's and there's only "2" guys available (Jimmy and Baker). Carolina is free to feel that way, but if they truly believe Darnold is as good as Baker, I've got some seaside housing to sell them in Kansas too.