DC Movie Universe

devils1854

I dont mind if there is a new Batman, but Im a little disappointed we wont get to see where the Reeves trilogy could have went.

If BatPat is done....I do hope Gunn can convince Reeves to do something else within the new DCU.   He is a very good director.

PS....Recast Jason Mamoa as Lobo.   I need to see that.

the penguin series is rumored to start filming in feb. Colin farrel mentioned it in interview 2 weeks ago. I can see them casting a new batman in a supporting role for the rebooted films and when patz 3 films are done, the new Batman gets his 1st solo sometime in the early 2030's.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

They didn't just dump Cavill but keep Miller?  Insanity, but Flashpoint could take it in any direction.

50 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If they keep Miller, I won't be watching DC again.

They can't dump Miller until after The Flash is out. The 3 DC movies next year are already going to be tough outs at the box office. If you announce all these cuts to movies that haven't been released yet, you're just crushing any box office potential they might still have.

They're not keeping Miller.

The Flash was already filmed, and at 200 million dollars.

The Shazam sequel was already filmed.

Aquaman 2 was already filmed.

They were each over 200 million in budget. Shazam I guess was 125 million.

The difference between them and Batgirl was they're good enough to release.

This doesn't mean they're keeping Miller, it doesn't mean they're keeping Aquaman.

Seems like Zachary Levi has a future with the DCU, but in what role is not confirmed.

Same with Gal Gadot.

If I had to bet, there won't be any movies made for the next ten years that aren't a part of this new continuity. If there are, it'll be the sequel to The Batman, and it will conclude Reeves' Batman making.

If any of these actors do come back, if any of them play the same character, they're all going to have completely different backstories and they will not be connected to anything that came before.

Gunn is doing what literally everybody should be able to see. He is starting a NEW universe not connected to the previous one in any way other than alternate universes.

The Flash travels through time to prevent the murder of his mother, but unwittingly causes changes that result in the creation of a multiverse.

And they are literally going to do it with The Flash.

Betcha 20 bucks there's a post credit scene that teases Superman.

6 hours ago, August4th said:

the penguin series is rumored to start filming in feb. Colin farrel mentioned it in interview 2 weeks ago.

Doesn't mean it will happen.    My guess is they will make a decision on that after the new year.   If it DOES film, its safe to say that Reeves Batman will continue, but I think its 50/50 at this point.

6 hours ago, August4th said:

I can see them casting a new batman in a supporting role for the rebooted films and when patz 3 films are done, the new Batman gets his 1st solo sometime in the early 2030's.

That would be incredibly stupid and based on what Gunn said, Batman is going to be a major part of the new DCU.   One of the biggest issues with the Snyderverse is how poorly developed and utilized Batman was in that universe.    Batman needs to be a focal point of the new universe, and you cant do that without giving him his own movie(s).

So the options are...

a)  Completely shelve the Reeves Batman and start over

b) Find a way to incorporate Reeves Batman into the new DCU

c)   Let the Reeves Batman continue as its own separate thing, and have the new DCU Batman in a big budget HBO show, with the eventual movie or 2.

Id go with option C, but thats me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, August4th said:

the penguin series is rumored to start filming in feb. Colin farrel mentioned it in interview 2 weeks ago. I can see them casting a new batman in a supporting role for the rebooted films and when patz 3 films are done, the new Batman gets his 1st solo sometime in the early 2030's.

They could easily do their whole Bat-verse in the next 5 years. Run 2 sequels, plus a handful of seasons for prestige shows. 

Again, unless the Gunn/Safran plan all hinges on starting with Blue Beetle (seems unlikely) then thats another one off, along with whatever else they end up actually releasing in 2023/24 (Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, Joker 2, Flash? Aquaman 2?). So Id be shocked if they actually start shooting anything before the very end of '23, and more likely its not actually filming well into 2024

I do something like this;

Reeves-verse

• The Batman - March '22
    • The Penguin (series 1) - End of year '23
    • Arkham (series 1) - Summer '24
  • The Batman 2 - Christmas '24
    • The Penguin (series 2)  - Fall '25
    • Catwoman (series 1) - Spring '26
    • Arkham (series 2) - End of Year '26
  • The Batman 3 - Fall '27

-I do understand that Penguin by EOY '23 is a quick turnaround, but if they start in Feb, its not out of the question. I do think Christmas '24 for TB2 is ideal timing, but if it needs to be pushed to Valentines '25 (a surprisingly good release weekend) or Spring, it doesn't really change the schedule. There was original talks of a bunch of spin off movies, but I think those could be wrapped into the HBO series, and giving Catwoman hers on the way to the final Batman film in the series works well.

At the same time you can be building your new DCU leading up to a Justice League in the Summer of 2028, as they should do a similar build as to what the MCU did on the way to The Avengers

DC Universe

• Superman - Summer '25
    • Dont worry about world building, tell a great opening story, set a new tone, new visial style and just an overall new attitude. Obviously intro Lex Luthor as he will likely have a hand in the overall world
  • Wonder Woman - Spring '26
    • Same thing as Superman, just keep setting the tone. This is probably your period piece (ala the first Cap movie) and we end with her making her way toward the present day.
  • The Flash - Fall '26
    • This is the first time you start to world build, have Barry try out his powers, run from Central City, to Star City to Metropolis, maybe even make a joke about missing Gotham and ending up on the wrong side of the tracks in Bludhaven. But also bring in Ted Kord or Ray Palmer as a foil to Barry, not as Atom yet, but another semi adult who can bring more to the JL outside of just superpowers.
  • Superman 2 - Summer '27
    • Much like with Iron Man, you can sneak in a pair of Superman films in the first phase. I think too many focus on Batman when looking at the Justice League, he absolutely needs to be a big part of it all, but Superman is the key to JL. Here I really expand, bring in Martian Manhunter, have them take down possibly a pair of large villain's, maybe even have Wonder Woman show up/reveal herself. All while showing how Lex Luthor is plotting what will cause the Justice League to unite.
  • Green Arrow - Spring '28
    • My own little spin here, I always feel like these street level heros need alittle more shine, and using this as a smaller/set up film to Justice League would work well. This is obviously Green Arrow, but also Black Canary, who have always been leaps and bounds more interesting than Hawkeye and Black Widow to me. Depending on how you want to do it, you could also introduce your new Bruce Wayne here, starting to get the band together. Save the Batman/Suit reveal for Justice League
  • Justice League - Summer '28
    • The Big Kahuna. If done correctly, it could completely overshadow the Original Avengers. And I actually think the allure of the New Batman being revealed here would help the Draw even more. (Id actually make Phase 1 about Superman, and Phase 2 about Batman) You could have the Bruce Wayne/Oliver Queen/Kord or Palmer easy story to tell relationships be the lynchpin of the beginnings of the Justice League. And their associations of Black Canary and The Flash have them already allied with the group, which then makes the story getting Superman/Wonder Woman/Martian Manhunter to align and trust them (who all could have clashing ideologies of their own set up in Superman 2) 

In this scenario, you let Reeves tell his stories (and make ALL the money that comes with it) while putting a capstone on the BatPatt run, one that is more complete than any other Batman run in history on film. And you do so with a bit of breathing room before you intro the new Batman. And Batman is the one Character in the Justice League that needs absolutely ZERO set up. Everyone knows that backstory now, we can skip the origin story, and while he shouldnt be Old Affleck Batman, he can be well past what we are seeing from Reeves right now too. A very established Superhero of Gotham, who is 7/8 years into his crimefighting career (probably already has Robin, maybe even onto his second), and the arc for him is becoming MORE. More than a street level hero, adapting to fighting with/against GODS. (PLEASE give me Tower of Babel/Doom, more of a JL2/3 idea) 

Yes, you will have some dummy/casuals who will go "is this the same thing as the Pattenson Batman?" but there are still people who ask when Christian Bale's next appearance as Batman will be. There are still people who dont know that the MCU and the X-Men movies arent connected. You cant play to that level of lowest common denominator. You make it good, those people will show up regardless

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

I think it's more likely The Batman 2 and 3 would be in 25 and 28, based off what we know. Also think there is at least one series that will probably happen we don't know about yet (not Catwoman). Other than that I think that timeline mostly works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I think it's more likely The Batman 2 and 3 would be in 25 and 28, based off what we know. Also think there is at least one series that will probably happen we don't know about yet (not Catwoman). Other than that I think that timeline mostly works.

Definitely understand thats the more likely timeline, I just think it could be done all a bit faster. 

But if thats the case, You could push the new DCU another year (start summer of '26) , spread out the movies a bit more to let them all breath, maybe even add in another if youd like, and you could own the year of 2030 with The Justice League

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Definitely understand thats the more likely timeline, I just think it could be done all a bit faster. 

But if thats the case, You could push the new DCU another year (start summer of '26) , spread out the movies a bit more to let them all breath, maybe even add in another if youd like, and you could own the year of 2030 with The Justice League

Yeah, I'd do something similar.

20 hours ago, 43M said:

c)   Let the Reeves Batman continue as its own separate thing, and have the new DCU Batman in a big budget HBO show, with the eventual movie or 2.

Id go with option C, but thats me.

I’d love to be in the reality where the power that be realize a Batman Show with a solid budget would be huge.

• Like 1

@StLunatic88

Nice write up, but Superman is not the best character to kick off the DCU.   Not saying it cant be done, but Batman should be the centerpiece.  He is a much more flawed, nuanced and relatable character, and is the only major Justice League member that isnt ridiculously OP.   There is legit no way they can or should start the new DCU without that universes Batman having a central role.

If they followed your plan, they definitely need to start a Batman HBO show somewhere in there and build the character that way, have him cameo in a big screen movie or two, star in Justice League and then have a big screen movie for that Batman shortly after JL.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

Nice write up, but Superman is not the best character to kick off the DCU. 

I think it’s absolutely debatable who should be your “centerpiece” when doing a DC Universe. If done correctly, it could honestly be any one of the Trinity. But you don’t ever actually center around one character, it’s about the Dynamic between the three of them. Or between Batman/Superman at the very least.

And in reality, they guy who is about to run this entire thing seems beyond keen to tell a Superman story. So I’m mostly basing the start of the new DCU on that, rather than who I would go with first. 

Trust me, Batman is my favorite character ever, so I will never be upset with more Batman Films. But I think they are going to go with a very different tone for this Universe than what recent interpretations of the bat on screen have provided (at the very least for the first phase). A hopeful, campy and even funny tone, so when it needs to get serious, that stands out, instead of being the brooding norm. So in that thought, bringing in Batman for JL, along with the world/universe threatening villain, really shows you how much the stakes have been raised. (on top of the other benefits; finishing the Reeves run and building a bigger JL draw on the debut)

And if they do what should be done in JL (not a completely clean win) leads into the Phase 2 that has a tonal shift, it leads Batman have the focus (probably fitting in 2 Bat-films in that phase) and then you let Diana be the focus of the third phase and we head toward hope. 

Edited by StLunatic88