Eagles re-sign DE Derek Barnett (2 years)

TheKillerNacho

Damn, I know he’s had his struggles since being over drafted but I was hoping the niners would get him on the cheap and be our new reclamation project. Haven’t seen the numbers but I imagine it’s for more than what we’re paying Hyder for this next year as well.

It could be worse. They could have not traded Supreme Overlord Checkdown for a 1 and 4 just to watch the team who did trade for him watch him completely crumble under any pressure, never rise to occasion, never bother to act like a leader and constantly be hurt.

And then Supreme Overlord Checkdowns' newer team cuts him literally one week before his 3rd round comp pick would've been finalized for the team that wasted the 1 and 4 on him in the first place.

I hate Supreme Overlord Checkdown, and my only consolation is that the guy they used for that pick isn't all that good.

• Like 1

The story of Derek Barnett has yet to be told and this kids book isn't written just yet. 

Reading throughout this thread you'd already think he's some type of 1st round Vernon Gholston bust. A bust edge rusher from Ohio State who recorded 0 career sacks (despite playing for Rex Ryan). 

He's 6'3/260ish only 25 years of age, has played for 5 seasons and has 21.5 career sacks with seasons of 5.0 sacks, 5.5 sacks and 6 1/2 sacks (got hurt his 2nd season only played 6 games).

I can't find how many QB Pressures during his Rookie season but even throughout the previous 4 seasons (42 games) he's recorded 80 QB Pressures (16.5 sacks). 

He's not the Vernon Gholston type of edge rushing bust that one might think. 

As a Jets fan I was hoping we landed him as an under the radar type of sleeper addition because once surrounded by more defensive talent. Which Philadelphia will do. I can easily picture him as an 8-10 sack type of player with a lot more QB pressures to boot. 

He might not be a Pro Bowler or All-Pro or even an elite starter but by the time he's 30, as long as Philadelphia provides a strong Defense; the NFL will know who he is. 

• Like 2

Derek Barnett was who I wanted the Cowboys to draft.  He looked to be a sure-fire, all-around impactful DE in the league. It didn’t translate over. Just like Tak and Taco from that same draft.  That crop of DEs were overvalued except for one.     Crazy that TJ was like the 4th or 5th DE off the board 

BTW, A big shout-out to Rod Marinelli for telling the Dallas scouts that TJ Watt couldn’t be a 3-down DE in the NFL and wanted Taco instead.  Good stuff as always, Rod.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

He's not the Vernon Gholston type of edge rushing bust that one might think. 

Not many players are. Still doesn't mean he's not been a huge disappointment. While I might not hate him as much as most, because I do believe Sacks are overrated, Pressures do matter. Most Eagle fans wanted to move on because of the STUPID BONE HEADED game by game penalties DB has that either extends the drive, negates a TO or lead to an eventual TD instead of the punt.

He does this regularly. Like every single game type Stupidity.  Roughing the Passer, Jumping offsides, you name the inopportune timed penalty,  that's DB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not many players are. Still doesn't mean he's not been a huge disappointment. While I might not hate him as much as most, because I do believe Sacks are overrated, Pressures do matter. Most Eagle fans wanted to move on because of the STUPID BONE HEADED game by game penalties DB has that either extends the drive, negates a TO or lead to an eventual TD instead of the punt.

He does this regularly. Like every single game type Stupidity.  Roughing the Passer, Jumping offsides, you name the inopportune timed penalty,  that's DB.

That seems like the kind of a stuff that a young player can figure out and minimize over time. QB pressures, sacks and run-stopping are what's important and he still has promise to carve out a role. He hasn't been trash but just hasn't been that good. He probably got paid very little and it's a short deal so 🤷 is what I say for the signing. It's a rotational signing.

• Like 1