Dolphins trade DeVante Parker to Patriots

TheRealMcCoy

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Parker averages missing 2 1/2 games a year.

• Cooper Kupp averages missing 2 games a year.
  • Bobby Trees averages missing 2.4 games a year.
  • OBJ misses 2.9 games a year
  • Deebo misses 3.3 games a year
  • Godwin misses 1.8 games a year.
  • Tyreek Hill averages missing 1 game a year.

Pretending Parker is some kind of injury aberration is laughable.

This, if anything, makes Parker's statistical performance thus far in his career look worse, that he doesn't miss that much time and is still that much less productive than the other guys you list. He's just unproductive enough that it feels like he's hurt more than he is, I guess.

Also, I'd argue that, at minimum, the Cooper Kupp one is unfair. He really only missed time in 2018. Doesn't really belong in a conversation about a guy who misses a few games basically every season.

• Like 1

The actual trade value works out to like a mid-5th round pick this year. Need to discount the future 3rd and subtract the returned 5th, folks.

Pats didn't "trade a 3rd" in the way some want to imply and compare to other WRs traded this year. The actual value in today's terms is like a mid 5th.

So let's compare apples to apples and go from there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

What?????????   They they gave little for Parker. They basically traded down from a 3rd to a 5th RD pick! and they get to have who ever they take for a year earlier.  Last 2 yr on a cheap contract.

Division trade means nothing. This isn't your Dads NFL! 

It's what you get in return is the key. Today's younger GM don't give a crap where they make a deal. It's all about stats and making the numbers work and maximize your return.

Pats gave up about a late third, early fourth round pick in value (depending on the chart used). I don't think Parker has shown he can he's that good of a player. He has one season over 800 yards  While he hasn't missed as many games as I thought he had, he seems to be always playing dinged up. Teams aren't trading really good players in division very often. Obviously, it can happen though (See: Wes Welker) but I thought Parker would have been traded for a later pick. Either way I'm not thinking anybody got fleeced just that my first reaction is that I think Miami did well. 

When assigning draft pick value you drop the pick down a round for every year in the future. So the value was a 5th this year for a 3rd (4th value) next year.

Its a decent trade for a guy who put up 1202 and 9 in 2019.

• That was 5th in yards and tied 4th in TDs (tied with 4 more guys)
  • He had 37 year old Fitz and Josh Rosen as his QBs that year

If he has not shown you anything then its a you problem.

Edited by SkippyX

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

When assigning draft pick value you drop the pick down a round for every year in the future. So the value was a 5th this year for a 3rd (4th value) next year.

Its a decent trade for a guy who put up 1202 and 9 in 2019.

• That was 5th in yards and tied 4th in TDs (tied with 4 more guys)
  • He had 37 year old Fitz and Josh Rosen as his QBs that year

If he has not shown you anything then its a you problem.

The bolded part is a KEY part of the equation.  He's had ONE great year in the pros.  Ironically speaking, it was his one LONE healthy year since he entered the league.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NFL_Advisor said:

I see a lot of people saying this in order to evaluate this trade… I remember the Dolphins trading Wes Welker to the Pats, it turned out well 😊

We didn't willingly trade Welker to the Pats. He was a restricted free agent and the Pats gave him a poison pill contract. They essentially took him from us. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

he's that good of a player.

8 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Teams aren't trading really good players in division

He's a ALL PRO comparing him to Pats (history) WRs. 🤣

8 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

I'm not thinking anybody got fleeced just that my first reaction is that I think Miami did well. 

I'm looking at this from a Pats perspective. They gave up very little for a guy who is now there number 1 or 2 WR.  No one got fleeced in this deal.  Also his contract a huge bonus. Cheap for two years and if he turns into injury diva, cutting him doesn't effect the bottom line for the Pats. 

PS Cap means nothing in today's NFL however the Pats still follow THEIR RULES when dealing with cap. which frustrate many Pats fans. Pats are up against the cap while KC, Rams print money when ever they need it!!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Needed a comment. Nice post 👍

11 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Pats giving up a 3rd round pick doesnt look good

Your not looking at the whole trade.  You need to take in the 2022 5th RD pick plus his contract. You forget Coopers 20 million dollar contract which is a major part your leaving out. Parker's contract is peanuts compared to WR in the NFL and its has 2 year left!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NFL_Advisor said:

I see a lot of people saying this in order to evaluate this trade… I remember the Dolphins trading Wes Welker to the Pats, it turned out well 😊

Oof

Comparing Parker to Welker is like comparing  a corvette to a Ferrari. 

Welker was going and about to breakout. Parker has been pretending he's about to breakout for what? 5 years now?

No idea how ppl see this as a good trade for the Pats I'm trying to figure out wtf New England is doing. imo this is the second sketchy trade they've made this off-season (Shaq Mason for peanuts)

Wouldn't hold my breath on Parker returning value here. As mentioned,  they should've just traded for woods.

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The actual trade value works out to like a mid-5th round pick this year. Need to discount the future 3rd and subtract the returned 5th, folks.

Pats didn't "trade a 3rd" in the way some want to imply and compare to other WRs traded this year. The actual value in today's terms is like a mid 5th.

So let's compare apples to apples and go from there.

This. A third next year is equivalent of a fourth this year. Plus the Patriots are getting back a fifth. The Patriots are paying a fifth for Parker. Very low payment. 

21 hours ago, SkippyX said:

This is an absolutely terrible way of looking at this issue.  It treats guys that miss one year due to injury the same as a guy who misses multiple games every year. 

Kupp - Played in 15 games as a rookie; blew his knee in 2018; played in all 16 games in 2019; played in 15 games in 2020; played in all 17 games in 2021.  That's 2 games missed in his entire career outside of the season ender.

Parker has missed 20 games in a 7 year career and has never had a big season ender like Kupp's blown ACL.  He's beyond fragile.

20 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Only half the story. He is virtually always dealing with niggling injuries of some sort limiting his productivity.

And this just makes it worse.  In the times he is actually able to play through the injury, it makes him limited.

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

Your not looking at the whole trade.  You need to take in the 2022 5th RD pick plus his contract. You forget Coopers 20 million dollar contract which is a major part your leaving out. Parker's contract is peanuts compared to WR in the NFL and its has 2 year left!

You're not the only one still thinking this, but everyone should note that both picks in the deal are in the 2023 draft.  Assuming the Pats are picking in the likely 20-25 range, it equates to roughly a 3rd round comp pick for the Fins when it is all over and done with.  I don't think even the most optimistic fans thought that it was a possibility for their #4 WR.  Parker's upside makes it reasonable for the Pats to roll the dice there as well.  They are abysmal at identifying WR talent in the draft, so getting a guy that has shown he can play at the NFL level is a must for them; even if he has extreme durability concerns.

• Like 1