Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Deebo had 59 rushing attempts last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11167916/nfl-arbitrator-rules-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-tight-end

Jimmy Graham is a tight end after all.

In a groundbreaking decision, the NFL has confirmed that arbitrator Stephen Burbank denied Graham's request to officially be declared a wide receiver under the NFL's franchise-tag rules.

Although Graham lined up either in the slot or out wide on 67 percent of his snaps last year, Burbank agreed with the New Orleans Saints and the NFL Management Council, who argued that the tight end position has always involved a combination of splitting out wide to run pass routes and staying in to block -- especially in today's modern passing offenses

Based on the Jimmy Graham situation, Deebo could be concerned that the 9ers would offer him the tag as a RB. And there's precedent that where you line up doesn't always matter.

EDIT: @N4L, this is why I don't think snap counts are going to be a persuasive argument.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

Just now, Forge said:

The thing is that people are acting like the backfield stuff made him as a receiver. Through 9 weeks (he went to the backfield in week 10) he was like second in receiving yards. He's actually a good receiver regardless of the backfield stuff...and it's not scheme that allows him to take a bubble screen to the house from 80 yards. Throw out the majority of the rushing stuff and he's still a high quality receiver. 

Agreed, and it's not like they rushed him 20 times a game either. They gave him 59 rushing attempts and he took 8 of those to the house. He caught 77 passes for 1,402 yards and 6 TD's.

Like I just seriously don't understand his gripes about how he was used. No other team is going to get better production out of him, period.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Is anyone else worried he's only had one elite year of production (in an O that is perfect for him) and he's going to command $25M+ per year?

I said the same thing, but @Forge is pretty convinced that Deebo is scheme flexible, and he knows the 9ers better than we do. 

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m getting dizzy from this current Madden franchise. What’s next, Arizona moving to San Antonio or Washington moving to Toronto!?

You are confusing Madden with BASEketball.

• Like 2

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

This has easily been the most unique and eventful offseason I can ever remember. Star players being moved pretty much regularly. 

As long as WFT resigns Terry McLaurin and doesnt get foolish and try to trade him, I'm ok with it.

Let's not forget this all started with the Jaguars giving Christian Kirk $18M+/year.

Thanks, Shad Khan.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Agreed, and it's not like they rushed him 20 times a game either. They gave him 59 rushing attempts and he took 8 of those to the house. He caught 77 passes for 1,402 yards and 6 TD's.

Like I just seriously don't understand his gripes about how he was used. No other team is going to get better production out of him, period.

I only had an issue with it if they were really going to try and do that for the entire season. Woudl have been insane. I brought it up on the 49er forum that his usage is a key point. I mean, I'm not running that guy 100+ times over 17 games...but giving him 60 carries over 17 isn't really that big of a deal (though highly unlikely to be as impactful) 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He had another 27 carries in the postseason. He was a WR who had 173 touches last season despite missing a game. I understand it's not extreme but I also understand it's not something he wants to have to do more of either. Especially with his injury history.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11167916/nfl-arbitrator-rules-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-tight-end

Based on the Jimmy Graham situation, Deebo could be concerned that the 9ers would offer him the tag as a RB. And there's precedent that where you line up doesn't always matter.

EDIT: @N4L, this is why I don't think snap counts are going to be a persuasive argument.

Jimmy Graham had "saints TE" in his bio on social media, which was one of the reasons the arbiter used to rule against him.

Deebo is listed as a WR on the depth chart. Graham was listed as a TE

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

He had another 27 carries in the postseason. He was a WR who had 173 touches last season despite missing a game. I understand it's not extreme but I also understand it's not something he wants to have to do more of either. Especially with his injury history.

Bottom line is that he's not going to get that production anywhere else in the NFL, so if he's honestly saying this isn't about the money that's a straight up lie because his production won't ever come near last year's.

Just now, N4L said:

Jimmy Graham had "saints TE" in his bio on social media, which was one of the reasons the arbiter used to rule against him.

I'm not arguing that I think Deebo is a RB, or that the 9ers think he's a RB. 

I'm arguing Dabo could be concerned that an NFL arbiter would rule against him. I'd also argue he should be, there's all of 1 case as precedent so it's not a sure thing either way. Considering the difference between a franchise tag at WR and RB is $9M, it's not chump change he'd be concerned about either.