Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He is smart for wanting to get paid more right now considering what we've seen.

My argument is that him saying it's not about the money and about how he was used is:

1. A lie

2. Hilarious considering how other teams with objectively worse systems will use him

Ahh fair enough, yeah if we're using the politifact scale that gets a "mostly false" from me. Like technically you could get into semantics about how in the NFL role dictates the money, so it's kind of a lie by omission. 

But at the end of the day, it's hard to ignore the fact that the 9ers could write a check big enough to make all of this go away if they wanted.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Ahh fair enough, yeah if we're using the politifact scale that gets a "mostly false" from me. Like technically you could get into semantics about how in the NFL role dictates the money, so it's kind of a lie by omission. 

But at the end of the day, it's hard to ignore the fact that the 9ers could write a check big enough to make all of this go away if they wanted.

Deebo hasn't been willing to engage in any contract extensions, per Jeff Darlington. So they can't really do that.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Deebo hasn't been willing to engage in any contract extensions, per Jeff Darlington. So they can't really do that.

So I think that's more of the semantics.

"Deebo hasn't been willing to engage" could mean they opened talks, it became clear that the positional crap was going to get in the way, and then it became pointless to have talks, hence the no engagement. In general, I think fans skip to the very end of contract negotiations with the haggling over where and when each dollar will be realized, but they're going to start way more free form.

Given how major the differences could be, those discussions are going to reveal the problems before numbers would start being exchanged.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So I think that's more of the semantics.

"Deebo hasn't been willing to engage" could mean they opened talks, it became clear that the positional crap was going to get in the way, and then it became pointless to have talks, hence the no engagement. In general, I think fans skip to the very end of contract negotiations with the haggling over where and when each dollar will be realized, but they're going to start way more free form.

Given how major the differences could be, those discussions are going to reveal the problems before numbers would start being exchanged.

This from Crapaport so take it with a grain of salt...

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/157536-rapoport-deebo-samuels-frustration-49ers-played-trade-request/

On Wednesday, it was reported that Samuel had asked to be traded. NFL insider Ian Rapoport immediately went on NFL Network to discuss the situation after revealing the wide receiver asked to be traded more than a week ago, adding that the relationship soured about two weeks ago, around April 6.

"[The 49ers] have wanted to make inroads on a long-term extension with Deebo Samuel, want to make him one of the higher-paid receivers in the NFL," Rapoport said. "He has just been, as of now, unwilling to accept or engage in any offer or any discussion. And the reason for that, from my understanding, is he simply wants to be elsewhere.

"And there are some questions and frustrations from his standpoint about his usage. He really is a top receiver. He also takes a lot of hits. He's used like a running back, put all over the field, and it just does not sound like he is comfortable, as of right now, with the way he is being used.

"I'm not sure, at this point, the 49ers are going to trade him. We'll see what they end up doing. They don't have to. They also don't pick until late in the second round, so potentially, if they want a first-round pick, this would be a pretty good way to get one."

Andrew Siciliano asked Schefter to clarify what it means that Samuel is frustrated with his usage. Does that mean he dislikes being utilized as a running back, or would he like to be paid more if he is?

Rapoport admitted that he is unsure about the specifics, adding, "What I was told ... was that he was not comfortable with how the 49ers used him last year. That is what I know. I'm sure there will be more to it, but that is what I know as of now."

47 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He showed in the first half of the season he could be an elite WR, then in the 2nd half he could also be an elite gadget player. His scrimmage yards pace was always unsustainable, so it dropping by 7 yards/game while he was also rushing a lot more is still incredible, and he produced 8 touchdowns on 59 rushing attempts.

His value/production will never top that season and I'd be willing to bet my house on that.

Elite gadget players don't get paid, elite WR's do. 

I hope this doesn't sound like a "hating" post, but he has one year of production.  Last year he was injured and had less than 400 yards receiving, 800 yards his rookie year.

It wasn't until like half way through the year that I saw his name getting attention. I didn't know that he was having a great year until late. 

But hey, do you Deebo. Try to get money.  

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I hope this doesn't sound like a "hating" post, but he has one year of production.  Last year he was injured and had less than 400 yards receiving, 800 yards his rookie year.

It wasn't until like half way through the year that I saw his name getting attention. I didn't know that he was having a great year until late. 

But hey, do you Deebo. Try to get money.  

That might be more a reflection on you than on Deebo

through 8 games in 2021, 49 receptions for 882 yards and 4 TD's