2022 Draft Thread

bMiller031

On 4/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

I know this is said a lot, but Baltimore is better at this than anyone else. They never have high picks and still churn out contending rosters just about every season.

Picking guys like Linderbaum at 25 helps a lot. 

Just a note, the value of our traded picks was 1850. Jordan Davis and Linderbaum's pick value was 1870.

Post draft projected roster:

QB: Russell Wilson, Josh Johnson

RB: Javonte Williams, Melvin Gordon, Mike Boone

FB: Andrew Beck

WR: Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick

WR: Jerry Jeudy, Tyrie Cleveland

Slot: KJ Hamler, Kendall Hinton

TE: Albert Okwuegbunam, Eric Tomlinson, Greg Dulcich

LT: Garett Bolles, Calvin Anderson

LG: Dalton Risner

Center: Lloyd Cushenberry III, Luke Wattenberg

RG: Quinn Meinerz, Graham Glasgow

RT: Billy Turner, Tom Compton

RDE: Dre’Mont Jones, Matt Hennigsen

NT: Mike Purcell, Eyioma Uwazurike

LDE: DJ Jones, DeShawn Williams

WLB: Bradley Chubb, Nik Bonitto, Aaron Patrick

MLB: Baron Browning, Alex Singleton, Justin Strnad

TLB: Josey Jewell, Jonas Griffith

SLB: Randy Gregory, Jonathan Cooper

CB: Patrick Surtain, Michael Ojemudia

CB: Ronald Darby, Damarri Mathis

Nickel: K’Waun Williams

FS: Justin Simmons, Caden Sterns

SS: Kareem Jackson, Delarrin Turner-Yell

K: Brandon McManus

P: Sam Martin

LS: Jacob Bobenmoyer

RS: Montrell Washington

Given what we had to work with I’d give it a solid B.

Of the players I knew I really liked them all. Bonitto, Dulcich, and Wattenberg were some of my favorite fits for this team at their positions.

of the players I didn’t know I really like what I’ve read/seen since. Mathis might end up a better NCB than Marcus Jones… if he can stay healthy. We added a bunch of much needed talent and altheticism to our ST. A unit that was criminally neglected under the previous regime.

I mark down only because of missed opportunities (Dean at 80, Howell in the 4th, Punt God in the 6th) and over drafting (feels a bit daft to complain about over drafting in the 5/6/7th rounds, yet here we are lol)

• Like 1

Bonitto says him and Turner-Yell are best friends from their time at Oklahoma. This is a positive IMO. Having someone like around the locker room will be a great way to ease those rookie growing pains that happen regularly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Post draft projected roster:

LT: Garett Bolles, Calvin Anderson

LG: Dalton Risner

Center: Lloyd Cushenberry III, Luke Wattenberg

RG: Quinn Meinerz, Graham Glasgow

RT: Billy Turner, Tom Compton

I’ve heard some stuff about the new staff wanting to tryout Glasgow at center. I think it was Josh who said he doesn’t think Cush is a good fit for the ZBS.

I think they’ll start Glasgow at OC this year, develop Wattenberg and let both Cush and Glasgow walk next spring. I watched some highlights of Wattenburg and I see a prototypical ZBS OC. But, admittedly, o-line is far from my area od expertise. 

• Like 1

Every single DB we picked via draft or UDFA can tackle. They all are great at making plays on the ball. There is a reason LB’s are not valued. Unless a LB can do it all, they are useless in modern day football. Alexander Johnson is a heck of a football player and still doesn’t have a job.

Despite what some think Josey Jewell is pretty decent in zone coverage. I expect good things from him this year. The head scratcher for me is moving Browning to OLB?  But the NFL is all about versatility. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve heard some stuff about the new staff wanting to tryout Glasgow at center. I think it was Josh who said he doesn’t think Cush is a good fit for the ZBS.

I think they’ll start Glasgow at OC this year, develop Wattenberg and let both Cush and Glasgow walk next spring. I watched some highlights of Wattenburg and I see a prototypical ZBS OC. But, admittedly, o-line is far from my area od expertise. 

I’m thinking the same. I could even see a scenario where Cush is gone before Week 1 via trade. It would all depend on Wattenberg and Glasgow, but why start something with Cush that they have no intention of finishing. 

• Like 1

FWIW could also see Meinerz convert to C if Cush / Wattenberg (highly likely for a Day 3 rookie) can’t cut it this year.  Glasgow feels like it’s his last year with us so it might be seen as better to have Meinerz go C and stay.   He can clearly excel at both spots IMO.  He was viewed as the 2nd best C coming out of last year’s draft, just our need was much bigger at G with Risner & Glasgow missing games early (then Glasgow hitting IR early November).

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW could also see Meinerz convert to C if Cush / Wattenberg (highly likely for a Day 3 rookie) can’t cut it this year.  Glasgow feels like it’s his last year with us so it might be seen as better to have Meinerz go C and stay.   He can clearly excel at both spots IMO.  He was viewed as the 2nd best C coming out of last year’s draft, just our need was much bigger at G with Risner & Glasgow missing games early (then Glasgow hitting IR early November).

Not that it’s set in stone, but I remember either Hackett or Paton say that Meinerz was gonna be a good RG for us for a long time. My guess is Glasgow and Cush fight for the job at centre, with Glasgow winning it. 

I wonder if Paton looked seriously at trying to move Cush or Muti at the draft. Neither of them seem like great fits for the new scheme, and obviously we are short on picks for 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Not that it’s set in stone, but I remember either Hackett or Paton say that Meinerz was gonna be a good RG for us for a long time. My guess is Glasgow and Cush fight for the job at centre, with Glasgow winning it. 

I wonder if Paton looked seriously at trying to move Cush or Muti at the draft. Neither of them seem like great fits for the new scheme, and obviously we are short on picks for 2023.

IMO Meinerz stays put. At the end of the year he was our 2nd best O Lineman. His improvement weekly at RG was amazing. Probably already a top 15 guy there. Plus, if you're an Alex Gibbs fan, he always liked his backup center as a starting RG. 

@broncos_fan _from _uk always seems to have a knack for OL talent so, putting Glasgow at center and letting Wattenberg learn the ropes would be a great path forward for the IOL. I'm really not concerned at RT. We've got enough meat over there and one should step up.  With Anderson as a swing we should be fine at OT.

My concern is Risner. Hopefully last year was just a one off, but he really needs to improve. Having a LG that's constantly put on skates is a bad thing.

• Like 3

From a pure "grade" standpoint, which is always hard to do for obvious reasons, I'd probably give Denver a B. Obviously need to factor Russ into the calculation.

I think Bonitto was a smart pick, but he'll need to become more of a run-stopper to have a consistent role. I agreed with the need for a TE, but I felt like there was better value at 80 where we took Dulcich. Getting another 3rd next year was huge. Mathis is a good pick - seeing lots of mixed reviews on him but he's a really good player as long as he's healthy. The next 6 picks I'm relatively unimpressed by. Uwazurike is a massive human being, will be interesting to see if he can develop into a reliable 5-tech. Turner-Yell seems like JAG to me. Wattenberg is a good depth piece.

I didn't think this draft had a ton of good players to begin with unless you needed a WR or an early OT/DE. Hopefully some of these guys become decent ST fodder. I think we probably should have considered Araiza in R5 considering Martin is in his last year and generally speaking, punting has not been a strength. Letting Nakobe Dean slide past us 80 for Dulcich feels like a move that could come back to bite you quickly. 

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah I think it’s clear Meinerz ar G was the main idea heading into this offseason (I remember those Paton comments too about him at RG).    Just that Glasgow has been slow to recover and of course Wattenberg is a rookie making the leap.     

Outten confirmed they had been getting both Meinerz / Glasgow work at C this past week to keep all their options open.     Glasgow not being fully recovered would certainly throw a wrinkle in plans (and another reason why it feels like he’s done in Denver after 2022).   Probably another reason why his deal got restructured - not just because his play wasn’t worth the $ but sounds like Glasgow wouldn’t have been able to pass a physical at the start of the 2022 football year if he hasn’t been cleared to practice  yet now. 

Meinerz is likely already our 2nd best OL (and no doubt he was last year).   It’s more a matter of how the best 5 fit.   With Wattenberg in obv they hope he can be the long term guy.  Just a big ask year 1.     I’d think it’s clear plan A is still RG for Meinerz.  But his ability to excel at C, until the starter there is solidified, it wouldn’t surprise to see him be the plan B/C (and in-season injuries make having a plan C necessary). 

Re: Cush / Muti it seems like the market is dry.   Cush might get a day 3 pick later but I’d be surprised if Muti gets any interest.  UDFA IOL who are scheme limited; it’s the same as the 2-down thumper ILB who can’t cover.  If you’re not good enough to start you’re barely rosterable.   Cush has the label of a day 2 pick with 2 years of starting experience.   Even if the actual gap in talent isn’t as wide pedigree / starter label often gets more in return.  

Given Glasgow has been slow to return I suspect Cush is going to be given every chance to keep the job, with Glasgow as the swing C/G.   If Cush can’t keep the job and Glasgow really isn’t right physically, well things get interesting.   

Edited by Broncofan