Round 4 Pick 132; Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

Packerraymond

On 10/4/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Reminds me of Adams. Just good enough at everything, but his route running is what will separate him from the rest. Excited for him and Watson to develop alongside Love

Adams has the best first step and cut I’ve seen in any Packers WR ever. Doubs seems a little faster than Adams. Adams had the same hands issue early on. The year before he broke out half the forum wanted him cut from all his big drops. I remember being at the Lions game that we lost the first time at home vs them since 91 or whatever wearing his jersey and he dropped a huge catch that would’ve gone a long way toward winning that game and I got so much crap for having that jersey on.

• Like 1

Doubs question:  ON the TD that he lost the ball, what was he supposed to have done, or how to good NFL receivers process a scenario like that? 

He was stretched out with both hands on the ball; the defender had tackled his legs, so he was going down with no chance to break the fall with quick footwork.  He caught it with two hands, and brought it in high against his chest/ribs.  But in the instant he extended one hand to break the fall. 

What should he have done? 

1. Just gripped it tight and landed with all of his body weight and momentum force directly on the ball? 
  2. Putting full unbroken force upon the ball, would his chance of losing it have been as high or worse? 
  3. Had he kept it two-handed secured against his ribs, and then landed full force ribs on ball, can human ribs withstand that, or might he have broken many of them? 
  4. Could he have twisted/curled a bit during the fall so as to land even a little bit more on a shoulder rather than right on his ribs?  Or was there no time or physiological opportunity for that?  Originally he caught the ball to his side, but as the tackler grabbed his legs, his upper body straightened.  I'm guessing somehow curling/twisting to keep the full impact off of ball/ribs is probably what he should have done, but in the moment with the guy locking his legs, I'm not sure how much opportunity he had?  
  5. I assume he didn't have time to reposition the ball below his rib cage; where his stomach might more flexibly absorb the force than his rib-cage?  
  6. Did he really have the ball two-handed secured before voluntarily/reflexively extending the hand to break the fall?  Or was the ball already loose, so that desire to somehow secure/stabilize it with at least one hand prompted his right-hand extension?  

For all the long throws, I'm not sure I've ever seen quite the exact body dynamics of that one.  There really aren't all that many long throws, that have those exact timing/positioning and forces going on.  Somehow the good NFL receivers find a way.  And on TV it initially looked like it shouldn't be that hard.  But on second look, it really was pretty challenging, and I'm not really sure what he could/should have done differently without cracking his ribs. 

Heh heh, given that we won the game anyway, and that we're really stressed for having receivers, I'm kinda glad we won without him having broken 6 ribs and being out for 6 weeks.  

Edited by craig

2 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

I was a UNC fan at that age too back in the Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Ed Cota days. Until high school, really.

Ed Cota is my favorite basketball player of all-time and that 8th seed he took to the Final Four was probably my favorite UNC team until last year's run (when we should've won the title...up 15 at half, my heart broke). 

I was just bad when it came to UNC. I cried until I physically shook every time they lost in the NCAA Tournament or threw a damn fit like a spoiled child. 

3 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

Was Driver ever fast though? From what I remember he was more similar to Cobb but a little faster. More shifty and quick in short distances than long range speed. Like the opposite of Jordy. Jordy I think of as the gazelle. Once he got running he was so smooth and fast.

Doubs is shifty and fast, but admittedly it's a small sample. He's closest to Driver/Jennings but I'm not good at comps and time will tell. He's definitely not Adams, nor is anyone. Interesting how unique receivers are. And yeah Driver wasn't that fast but also he wasn't as slow as Adams.

4 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

Was Driver ever fast though? From what I remember he was more similar to Cobb but a little faster. More shifty and quick in short distances than long range speed. Like the opposite of Jordy. Jordy I think of as the gazelle. Once he got running he was so smooth and fast.

Young DD was plenty fast, watch any of his highlights, especially the ones with 4 throwing the ball. He wasn’t the fastest in the League but he could get behind a defense in a hurry. What separated him and extended his career as he slowed down was his toughness and total commitment to make the catch. Obviously, he was also just a great story and is now a great ambassador for the team but make no mistake, he could move out there. 

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Young DD was plenty fast, watch any of his highlights, especially the ones with 4 throwing the ball. He wasn’t the fastest in the League but he could get behind a defense in a hurry. What separated him and extended his career as he slowed down was his toughness and total commitment to make the catch. Obviously, he was also just a great story and is now a great ambassador for the team but make no mistake, he could move out there. 

He was a college track star, right? 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Doubs is kind of mid.  Normal mid round receiver thrust into way too big of a role for right now.

Needs to go back to being 4th/5th and specialize a bit more on a few plays.  The way Watson was getting treated.

Totally fair to say and that’s not a bad thing for him. He has the tools to be very good, he was just being asked to do too much right now. 

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Doubs is kind of mid.  Normal mid round receiver thrust into way too big of a role for right now.

Needs to go back to being 4th/5th and specialize a bit more on a few plays.  The way Watson was getting treated.

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Totally fair to say and that’s not a bad thing for him. He has the tools to be very good, he was just being asked to do too much right now. 

I'm calling bullsh*t. None of the other coaching staffs are having problems getting their young WR's ready. If Doubs has to be benched and Watson can only go in motion, the coaching staff needs to be fired.

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm calling bullsh*t. None of the other coaching staffs are having problems getting their young WR's ready. If Doubs has to be benched and Watson can only go in motion, the coaching staff needs to be fired.

Or the qb needs to throw them the ball...

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

I could be completely off here, but I wonder if the development of the young WRs is hurt by having a WR coach who was not a WR/doesn't seem to be specialized in coaching WRs (at least based on his history). Not really sure how interchangeable those coaching roles are when they're jumping around positions.