Round 4 Pick 132; Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

Packerraymond

• 1 month later...

Historically, Doubs’ 14 receptions, 137 yards and touchdown line over his first three games as a professional is very rare. How rare? So rare that only two players in NFL history, Steve Largent and Marques Colston, have recorded as many receptions, yards and touchdowns as Doubs in their first three games after being drafted in the fourth round or later in the draft. Largent eventually developed into a five-time All-Pro receiver and was named to the NFL’s 100th Anniversary All-Time Team as well as the Pro Football Football of Fame. Colston was never named a Pro Bowler but is enshrined in the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame and revolutionized the “big slot” position that players like the Packers’ Allen Lazard now play.

Nice company. 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:34 PM, Brat&Beer said:

Anyone thinking Doubs will get no meaningful snaps this season is either:

a)  Too negative about Doubs

b)  Way too confident that Cobb and Watkins will stay healthy. 

Looks like I was right about Doubs and Watkins. Best of luck to Cobb. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, skibrett15 said:

This isn't even jumping the gun this is like... showing up a day early and racing while no one else is.

Some of you need a Doubs ice bath.

Heh heh, kudos to some of you who were on the Doubs bandwagon back in August!  I expected this to be a redshirt year, and that he'd hardly play at all.  Heh heh, I figured guys like Amari and Winfree would play more than he would.  Happy to be way, way off in my guess!  :).   He can play.  

17 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Nice company. 

Yeah, Largent and Colston are good company.  

There have been some other very good 3rd-day WR in the league in the present era.  4th-round Amon-Re had almost a thousand yards as a rookie, and 253 already through 3 games.  That guy is really good.  

Stefon Diggs was a 5th rounder, 17 picks after Jake Ryan, and the pick directly in front of Hundley.  Fun to imagine how Packers might have progressed differently with Diggs instead of Jake Ryan?   

Those guys are both 6'0", Doubs a little longer at 6'2".  Would be so fun if Doubs turned into a Diggs or Amon-Re, or got even close.  

• Like 1

Flashed during TC and in the preseason.  Yes but was somewhat inconsistent.  Figured he would follow the typical rookie WR route up and down with limited impact.  After last night's performance I'm changing my tune.  This dude is going to get a lot of looks this season.  He may very well crack 1000 yrds receiving.  

Great hands, good burst, and nice run after the catch ability.  Got some wiggle.  Yah I'm sold on him finally.  Last night was his coming out party.  He will probably lead all Packer WR's in catches and yards this season.  (Well who else do we have?) Sure didn't look like a rookie out there.  Kid just earned the starting gig.  Great pick by Gute. 

On 8/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, svp said:

I do sometimes think he is on blood pressure meds. He doesn't get excite. If there was a bag of puppies in the endzone, he still would be chill. "6 points, one for each puppy, see you next time."

Revisiting this, his post game interview after a breakout game with his first TD  and he was definitely not enthusiastic. I guess that’s part of his personality and everyone seemed depleted after that sauna of a gane but I would imagine I’d be giddy if I scored my first 6. Mr. Even Keel but sometimes you’ve got to ride the highs. 

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

Revisiting this, his post game interview after a breakout game with his first TD  and he was definitely not enthusiastic. I guess that’s part of his personality ...but sometimes you’ve got to ride the highs. 

Often quiet, serious guys can be super motivated and detailed about their optimizing their craft.  I don't expect his personality will hold him back.  Some guys aren't used to the media glare, and are appropriately guarded with their words, and maybe their feelings and emotions too?  His interview comfort level might change over the course of career years?

I wonder whether his reserved personality worked to the Packers advantage?  Perhaps some teams didn't give his combine interviews and confidence-level great scores, and he'd otherwise have been taken before pick 132?  A knee injury and having some measurables unmeasured might have helped, too.  

I love that MLF has been repeatedly complimentary about Doubs' professionalism and approach.  Encouraging.

Super glad that we have him, and am very optimistic for the future at WR with Doubs, Watson, and Lazard.  Imagine had we been in the present WR situation but if Doubs had proven as unsound, as bad-handsy, and as unplayable as JMon Moore?  (Doubs and Moore were picks 132 and 133).   I'm an optimist, but I'm really super hopeful that Doubs and Watson will be a quality talented tandem moving forward, and that for this season Doubs and Watson, Lazard and Cobb, they'll end up being pretty good and pretty capable.  And that Watkins won't be out for that long, so that by week 10 we'll have a nice diverse 5-man WR group that will be very effective.  The next time we play the Vikings, both our run-blocking, pass-blocking and pass-receiving might be way different and better than it was week 1.  

I'm still slightly on the "what has Dobbs done" camp personally.

He has certainly made some nice YAC things happen within the design of the offense.  I'm still unsure, and it's definitely an unfair expectation of a rookie, but given that he's had the opportunity -- can he win on some mid-range routes and can he win down the field?

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm still slightly on the "what has Dobbs done" camp personally.

He has certainly made some nice YAC things happen within the design of the offense.  I'm still unsure, and it's definitely an unfair expectation of a rookie, but given that he's had the opportunity -- can he win on some mid-range routes and can he win down the field?

Not his fault, the plays have to get called and throws have to be made.  Little strokes fell big oaks .. his time is coming!!

For any basketball fans in the house, his personality reminds me of Kawhi Leonard. Granted, I didn't register this until I saw him with corn rows and found that they look a bit similar, but Kawhi is the ultimate silent assassin type. Gives almost nothing away in interviews, extremely workmanlike, almost robotic personality in interviews, but just a guy who bleeds work ethic and is 110% committed to winning and working on his craft. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, craig said:

Often quiet, serious guys can be super motivated and detailed about their optimizing their craft.  I don't expect his personality will hold him back.  Some guys aren't used to the media glare, and are appropriately guarded with their words, and maybe their feelings and emotions too?  His interview comfort level might change over the course of career years?

I wonder whether his reserved personality worked to the Packers advantage?  Perhaps some teams didn't give his combine interviews and confidence-level great scores, and he'd otherwise have been taken before pick 132?  A knee injury and having some measurables unmeasured might have helped, too.  

I love that MLF has been repeatedly complimentary about Doubs' professionalism and approach.  Encouraging.

Super glad that we have him, and am very optimistic for the future at WR with Doubs, Watson, and Lazard.  Imagine had we been in the present WR situation but if Doubs had proven as unsound, as bad-handsy, and as unplayable as JMon Moore?  (Doubs and Moore were picks 132 and 133).   I'm an optimist, but I'm really super hopeful that Doubs and Watson will be a quality talented tandem moving forward, and that for this season Doubs and Watson, Lazard and Cobb, they'll end up being pretty good and pretty capable.  And that Watkins won't be out for that long, so that by week 10 we'll have a nice diverse 5-man WR group that will be very effective.  The next time we play the Vikings, both our run-blocking, pass-blocking and pass-receiving might be way different and better than it was week 1.  

I’m glad we have him too and in general I’d prefer a humble personality that gets to work than a guy who just arrived talking like he’s got it all figured out. He is just a bit on his own frequency, which is all good, I’m a bit off key myself. I just hope when success starts coming he enjoys it with his teammates in his own way. Proathletes have a short window to shine, I hope he keeps building on what he’s done and makes his own statement. In any human endeavor, it takes all kinds. Im cool with having the weird kid who just plays ball and has his own way of doing things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craig said:

I wonder whether his reserved personality worked to the Packers advantage? Perhaps some teams didn't give his combine interviews and confidence-level great scores, and he'd otherwise have been taken before pick 132?  A knee injury and having some measurables unmeasured might have helped, too.  

I actually posted something about that in the pre-draft thread a week or so before the draft. It was reported that a number of teams were turned off and took him as aloof. That report came out after his 30-visit with the Vikings and the Vikings were one of the teams REPORTEDLY were turned off by him. 

Edited by R T