Round 4 Pick 132; Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

Packerraymond

I don't see Adams in him.  He's better as a rookie than what 'Vante was.  And far less than prime 'Vante.  (Duh, Vegas).

And he has the straight line speed that looks better than Adams.

Body types aren't close enough for me to see Driver in him.

Keenan Allen, though......

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't see Adams in him.  He's better as a rookie than what 'Vante was.  And far less than prime 'Vante.  (Duh, Vegas).

And he has the straight line speed that looks better than Adams.

Body types aren't close enough for me to see Driver in him.

Keenan Allen, though......

Keenan Allen is probably the slowest high end receiver in the NFL. Slower than Tae for sure. He doesn't possess the vertical game that Doubs does.

It's hard to say for sure because Doubs didn't really test before the draft, but knowing he limped out a 4.48 and with his body type, I think Chris Godwin is the closest current NFL comp as far as good #1/#2 type WR's go. 

• Like 1

Doubs does have an interesting build. Definitely has some shoulders on him to  play a bit of a big body WR role, but quick and smooth enough to play a shiftier game as well.  Not a pure gazelle like young Driver but a better route runner at this stage.  Driver was tough as nails and took great care of his body as his career progressed but he was pretty slightly built early on. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

LOL!  I thought about him right away.  Body size, how he moves....etc.

But man, it's hard to compare someone to the second best receiver to ever play.

I once saw someone compare Majkowski to Staubach* and I just couldn't accept it, even though the person made it clear Majkowksi wasn't as good as Staubach just stylistically similar

*IMO might be a top 5 all time qb, def top 10

8 hours ago, Norm said:

With the fumbling right?

I remember driving back from Pennsylvania, being in Chicago traffic, listening to that game. Never knew how egregious that missed fumble was until I saw the replay on Sportscenter that night. I was an emotional kid so I lost my **** lol. Of course, this is back when I expected the Packers to win the Super Bowl every year (and TBF, I was 10 when they won SBXXXI so I wasn't indoctrinated into the pain of Wisconsin sports yet). 

I will forever consider the Dez "incompletion" the karmic return for the missed Rice fumble. Unfortunately, we botched our opportunity to win the SB that year.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I remember driving back from Pennsylvania, being in Chicago traffic, listening to that game. Never knew how egregious that missed fumble was until I saw the replay on Sportscenter that night. I was an emotional kid so I lost my **** lol. Of course, this is back when I expected the Packers to win the Super Bowl every year (and TBF, I was 10 when they won SBXXXI so I wasn't indoctrinated into the pain of Wisconsin sports yet). 

I will forever consider the Dez "incompletion" the karmic return for the missed Rice fumble. Unfortunately, we botched our opportunity to win the SB that year.

The thing about that year is, we were probably passed our window and just hanging on.  If we play the Broncos in 97 in a series, we win, I have no doubt.  But by 98, we were depleted and most of our core was getting old.  In my mind, we beat the 49ers in 98.  But there were three teams in our way, and I don't think the 98 Packers can really claim to be able to beat any of them.  Dirty Bird Falcons, 15-1 Vikings, and Champion Broncos.  All of those teams probably roll the Packers that year.  The Vikings beat the Packers by 13 and 14 in the two meetings.  The Falcons are often overlooked because they lost the Super Bowl, and appeared from nowhere, but they were 14-2, and defeated the Vikings.  And the Broncos were 14-2 that season as well, and were defending Super Bowl Champions.  

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Living in Dallas as a Packer fan I had to gently remind my Cowboy fans that the Dez no-catch had no bearing on the outcome. In fact once Romo threw the ball, they lost the game. Catch, no-catch, or even TD it didn't matter. There was too much time on the clock and the Cowboys couldn't stop the Packers offense. IF Dallas had continued running the ball...they would have won by using the whole clock and getting that TD leaving no time for Rodgers to do his thing. It's a warning to teams that face great QBs. Running the ball in the 4th qtr. shuts the door to a comeback in one score games. It's something that Green Bay must learn to do this year. Getting 4.5-5 yds/carry in the 4th qtr. is a great way to take the starch out of a defense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The thing about that year is, we were probably passed our window and just hanging on.  If we play the Broncos in 97 in a series, we win, I have no doubt.  But by 98, we were depleted and most of our core was getting old.  In my mind, we beat the 49ers in 98.  But there were three teams in our way, and I don't think the 98 Packers can really claim to be able to beat any of them.  Dirty Bird Falcons, 15-1 Vikings, and Champion Broncos.  All of those teams probably roll the Packers that year.  The Vikings beat the Packers by 13 and 14 in the two meetings.  The Falcons are often overlooked because they lost the Super Bowl, and appeared from nowhere, but they were 14-2, and defeated the Vikings.  And the Broncos were 14-2 that season as well, and were defending Super Bowl Champions.  

Yeah, again, this was a time where I was a kid and had ridiculous expectations (don't even get me started on my expectations on UNC basketball back then). So, naturally, losing that way was a major emotional moment lol. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:53 AM, Refugee said:

Doubs does have an interesting build. Definitely has some shoulders on him to  play a bit of a big body WR role, but quick and smooth enough to play a shiftier game as well.  Not a pure gazelle like young Driver but a better route runner at this stage.  Driver was tough as nails and took great care of his body as his career progressed but he was pretty slightly built early on. 

Was Driver ever fast though? From what I remember he was more similar to Cobb but a little faster. More shifty and quick in short distances than long range speed. Like the opposite of Jordy. Jordy I think of as the gazelle. Once he got running he was so smooth and fast.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, again, this was a time where I was a kid and had ridiculous expectations (don't even get me started on my expectations on UNC basketball back then). So, naturally, losing that way was a major emotional moment lol. 

Yeah when you’re young and your team is pretty good you really do think they should just win it every year. I cried for sure after Super Bowl 32 and I was 10. 

I was a UNC fan at that age too back in the Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Ed Cota days. Until high school, really.

• Like 1