Round 4 Pick 140; Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Packerraymond

Obviously love the pick. I think he'll be initially getting most of his practice snaps with the second offense as center. Will get snaps at all 5 positions of course but objective one for him will be C.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems like a few SF fans wanted Tom in RD3 for their "are you smarter than" pick, so I'll assume this wasn't a terrible selection by Gute.

I'm really pumped about getting Tom. After losing Patrick, his versatility is valuable and really completes the O-Line. 

Tyler Dunne -

ZACH TOM, C, Wake Forest

• Rd. 4/140.

• Height: 6-4.

• Weight: 307.

• 40: 4.95.

• Wonderlic: 30.

• Hometown: Prairieville, La.

Fact/Stat: Fifth-year senior … Started at center in 2019 and at left tackle the past two years … His brother, Cameron, went undrafted as a center in 2017 from Southern Mississippi but has continued to bang around the NFL as a backup and practice-squad member … His hands (10 3/8) were the largest of the centers whereas his arm length (33 ¼) was average for the position.

AFC scout: “He is a spectacular athlete. He’s probably the best pure athlete of all the offensive linemen I saw this year. He was a shock. He’ll probably have to move inside. If his arms were longer he’d be a top-100 pick. Excellent pass blocker and a good run blocker. Three-time All-ACC academic. I don’t have one negative. Pass-block technician. Needs to work on his kick step. He could play left tackle. Only thing stopping him is arm length. I like 34 (inches). This guy can play tackle, guard or center.”

AFC scout: “He played center previously (2019) before moving out to tackle. It won’t be brand new for him. He’s done it. Middle rounds.”

NFC scout: “Like this guy. This guy’s really athletic. He’s got bend, he’s nimble, he’s quick. He’s just not strong at all. Strength won’t be as much of an issue at center, a position he’s played before. He’s gonna start for somebody. He is a left tackle athlete without a doubt. Just not strong at all. He tries. It’s not as if he’s not tough. He plays small. I’m sure he’s got that weight up (was 290 in March 2021). But he is an excellent athlete. Second round. (Tyler) Linderbaum is my No. 1 inside guy. I’d put (Tom) at No. 2. He’s much, much more athletic than the Nebraska center (Cam Jurgens).”

AFC scout: “Center is the first thing I thought of. Here’s an undersized guy playing left tackle. He’s super athletic. His intangibles for center aren’t great. He is more of an independent contractor. Not a great worker. Not awesome football character. Not a bad kid off the field but for center, you want a dude, a guy that’s smart, a leader, an excellent worker. He didn’t have those things but physically, yes.”

AFC scout: “He’s an interesting guy. He played tackle but he’s forecast to center, like his brother. He’s a sleeper. He was too low on our board. I could definitely see mid rounds. Zach Tom is going to be in the NFL.”

NFC scout: “Quiet kid, not super vocal, works hard, consistent at practice every day, lead by example guy. He’s a fundamentally sound player who relies on consistent technique. Made a seamless transition to left tackle. Has adequate strength at the point of attack and marginal in-line power to reestablish the line of scrimmage.”

AFC scout: “Our guys would like to put him at center.”

AFC scout: “I thought he was best as a center. Later rounds.”

AFC scout: “Not a bad player. Played left tackle. Has a smooth kick but doesn’t have much pop to his play. Size-length kind of guy. Fourth round.”

8 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Looks to me like Toms should have gone in the 1st round and Johnson in the 4th. It was a mismatch. 

Those feet, WOW, impressive. I think he could be our LT of the future. Struck gold again. 

Edited by Old Guy

His arms are 33 1/4", that is to say 1/4" longer than Chad Clifton's.

The better you are at knocking away a pass rushers hands, when they try to get into the optimum position, the less arm-length matters.

I think he needs to get 10lb heavier and stronger, but an NFL weight room can do that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

"His arms are so short he can't scratch his balls much less his back, someone will take him but it won't be us"

Tom's arms met the threshold at 33 1/4". Sean Rhyan is the one with short arms at 32 3/8".