2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

Here is the reality...

Both QB's need time to develop. They will each be 21 (Kizer's age) by the start of next season.

In Cleveland, that's not happening. I would put money on 6-8 games before fan pressure and QB miscues lead to their entry into a game.

So, with that in mind, we need the more NFL-ready QB. If we're narrowing it to strictly Rosen or Darnold (Since Mayfield won't go #1), that edge HAS to go to Rosen. Darnold's mechanical issues cannot be fixed in that span. Rosen possesses the necessary poise and mechanics to transition quicker and easier.

In conclusion, there is NO QUESTION that Joshua Rosen NEEDS to be the pick over Darnold.

Haters, get @ me.

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Yeah Darnold has been my guy

and I’ve been saying Rosen is overrated 

Mine goes

Darnold

Lamar

Mayfield 

Rosen 

As concerned about Lamar as I was about Bridgewater. Much more well conditioned and a better athlete but a slight build. Michael Vick 2.0 at best, imho.

Lot's of concerns about Mayfield. Let someone else take the chance.

I want Darnold, and if he doesn't declare, Rosen.

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Here is the reality...

Both QB's need time to develop. They will each be 21 (Kizer's age) by the start of next season.

In Cleveland, that's not happening. I would put money on 6-8 games before fan pressure and QB miscues lead to their entry into a game.

So, with that in mind, we need the more NFL-ready QB. If we're narrowing it to strictly Rosen or Darnold (Since Mayfield won't go #1), that edge HAS to go to Rosen. Darnold's mechanical issues cannot be fixed in that span. Rosen possesses the necessary poise and mechanics to transition quicker and easier.

In conclusion, there is NO QUESTION that Joshua Rosen NEEDS to be the pick over Darnold.

Haters, get @ me.

Can't argue with that.

Still want Darnold if he declares.

Just now, bruceb said:

Can't argue with that.

Still want Darnold if he declares.

Would you agree that Kizer's career has been all but shattered as a result of being a Brown? The potential, the skill...it's there, no denying so. Hell, I'd even argue that if you were to throw him into Denver's offense, that's a perennial playoff team.

Well, even with a couple first and second rounders invested in support for our future QB, I just cannot see much that makes me think an equally raw (Though higher potential) prospect could come in and have a more effective impact. Darnold will have his mechanics, footwork, and decision-making molded by whatever coach takes him in.

Look, if we as fans are willing to put up with another season of below expected performances, then Darnold COULD eventually prosper...but this is Cleveland. We give up on QB's within a year if we haven't seen enough.

I will say this: Bigger risk can ultimately provide the greater reward. At the same time, there's obviously no guarantee. And that, my friend, is exactly what this debate comes down to. Rosen is more polished. Darnold, with time, COULD be better. But that's just the thing...can we honestly afford to take such a risk?

I think Rosen is more NFL ready because I believe he had better coaching in college.

To me who ever is drafted is going to depend on the coaching staff tho. 

I like both QBs and was all about Rosen previously but I believe at this moment that Darnold would be better. 

5 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Would you agree that Kizer's career has been all but shattered as a result of being a Brown? The potential, the skill...it's there, no denying so. Hell, I'd even argue that if you were to throw him into Denver's offense, that's a perennial playoff team.

If Kizer played for Denver, he'd be riding the bench, period.

Well, even with a couple first and second rounders invested in support for our future QB, I just cannot see much that makes me think an equally raw (Though higher potential) prospect could come in and have a more effective impact. Darnold will have his mechanics, footwork, and decision-making molded by whatever coach takes him in.

Darnold is head and shoulders above Kizer as a prospect, it isn't even close!!! However, whether you take either Darnold or Rosen, the draft is still a crapshoot and there are no guarantees.

Look, if we as fans are willing to put up with another season of below expected performances, then Darnold COULD eventually prosper...but this is Cleveland. We give up on QB's within a year if we haven't seen enough.

No matter what, next year will produce at most 3 wins if we are lucky and our rookie QB develops quickly, which I doubt. Like Goff, it will be a struggle for our rookie QB, but there is a huge difference between Darnold and Kizer as to their potential. It is night and day. Kizer was passed over by 31 other franchises, some with excellent talent appraisers, Darnold will never get past the 2nd overall pick and more than likely, he will be our QB next season.

When was the last time, we drafted a QB in the top 3, so I believe it is simply not true that a QB must absolutely produce in year 1 or get run out of town. Darnold will have 3 seasons to prove his worth.

I will say this: Bigger risk can ultimately provide the greater reward. At the same time, there's obviously no guarantee. And that, my friend, is exactly what this debate comes down to. Rosen is more polished. Darnold, with time, COULD be better. But that's just the thing...can we honestly afford to take such a risk?

You are correct, there is never a guarantee no matter who you choose, however, when they polled 5 GM's on who they like better, Darnold or Rosen, all 5 preferred Darnold by a wide margin over Rosen. They all saw Darnold as a special talent, who has the ceiling to become another Peyton or Roethlisberger. Rosen, like you said, could come in and be be better in year 1, but his ceiling is no where near what Darnold's is???

11 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah Rosen overrated like I been saying 

I’d rather have Lamar 

Overrated? I don't know about that. He is a great QB prospect. Refined thrower, probably the cleanest mechanics of any QB in years, accurate, can rip it, pro style, goes through multiple progressions and reads.

The one area you can knock him is his decision making under pressure. It's iffy and needs improving. But he's an elite QB prospect in most categories.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Overrated? I don't know about that. He is a great QB prospect. Refined thrower, probably the cleanest mechanics of any QB in years, accurate, can rip it, pro style, goes through multiple progressions and reads.

The one area you can knock him is his decision making under pressure. It's iffy and needs improving. But he's an elite QB prospect in most categories.

I agree with this.  He is kind of like Kizer but accurate.  He will make the throws and then make dumb decisions where he throws picks.  Kizer's accuracy has killed him, Rosen is much more accurate. 

I'm on the Rosen bandwagon, but him or Darnold would not upset me.  Kind of reminds me of the Eli and Rivers draft (makes you wonder which QB would be like Big Ben).  Just have to get a franchise QB. 

14 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Here is the reality...

Haters, get @ me.

Not going to, you made an excellent point. If we do not get a good starting vet then I'd go Rosen with the impression that he will start at one point next season. 

However if Dorsey makes the Alex Smith/KC connection then I'd go Darnold and have him learn. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

As concerned about Lamar as I was about Bridgewater. Much more well conditioned and a better athlete but a slight build. Michael Vick 2.0 at best, imho

I really don’t see Michael Vick 2.0. I think Vick had the better arm and was a more explosive runner IMO. I don’t see Jackson being able to carry a team like Vick did with Atlanta

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I really don’t see Michael Vick 2.0. I think Vick had the better arm and was a more explosive runner IMO. I don’t see Jackson being able to carry a team like Vick did with Atlanta

Vick was more talented athletically, but Vick is about as good of a comp as I can think of.

The problem is the league figured did out how to beat Mike Vick already.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Vick was more talented athletically, but Vick is about as good of a comp as I can think of.

The problem is the league figured did out how to beat Mike Vick already.

Yeah throw him in jail 

Vick was killing it before he went away 

and went to the pro bowl when he got back too

honestly Lamar is just as fast 

and he’s got a cannon as well 

Archived