2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

I think I prefer Darnold a bit more at this point, but, honestly, I'd be happy with either. I've been trying to defend Kizer for awhile, but, holy smokes the amount of turnovers is extremely alarming. I was hoping he would get better, but, even with Gordon and Coleman, it seems marginal. Not to mention how he plays at the end of games.

I truly believe this offense will be so much better next year with one of the top QBs leading it and hopefully a new HC or OC that can call plays to maximize our players strengths.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/The-contrary-but-intertwined-journeys-of-Rosen-and-Darnold-106589651

This article has some interesting information on the backstories of both Darnold and Rosen, going through high school recruiting in the same region. A lot of it is well known already, but there's some nice bits that might help further shape your opinion of the two of them.

I've been bouncing this back and forth in my head. With Dorsey on the Browns I feel he tries to swing a trade for Alex Smith as our Vet leadership on the team. We then would draft Darnold and have him 3rd string behind Alex Smith and Kizer respectively. I would be okay trading Philly's 2nd and our 4th for him. That would settle our QB problem I think. We would also have 3 picks in the 1st two rounds to add talent to this team. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

On 12/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, Onizuka said:

I truly believe this offense will be so much better next year with one of the top QBs leading it

If you're talking about a top rookie QB, then I think you're going to be disappointed. Rookie QBs, and especially very young rookie QBs, struggle. It's just how it is. There are maybe 5 cases in the last decade where that hasn't been so (RG3, Dak, Watson, who am I missing?). And all four of the best QB's in this class are underclassmen, so, yeah. I wouldn't expect a rookie QB starting to be a big upgrade in production if I were you.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, Onizuka said:

and hopefully a new HC or OC that can call plays to maximize our players strengths.

This one might make a big difference.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I wouldn’t give up a 2nd for him. He would be a one year rental. No thanks. It all depends on who is the coach. If Hue is still the coach than it’s going to be McCarron if he is a UFA

Agreed. I see NO reason to spend assets on a stop gap QB. Kizer is improving. If you want to put money into a good stop gap in the offseason, be my guest. But I have no clue whatsoever why we'd spend draft capital on one if we are also taking a QB #1. 

Finally someone that is speaking sense. Respect to Rich Eisen. I echo his sentiments, word for word.

Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen, if you're as good as you think you are and everyone says you are, go and be the guy that turns the worst team in history into a champion. God status awaits you.

42 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I could watch this all day.

I will watch the rest of the video, but after the first three throws, I'm not too impressed.  ;)   1st throw, should have been batted down, slipped through the safety's hands.  2nd was off of his back foot into triple coverage, and the 3rd was a TD after a "trick play."  (OK, I'm being snarky here, but those aren't the throws I would have put at the start of the highlight tape.)  :) 

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I could watch this all day.

You sure you aren't going full bronwie man? I counted nine NFL throws in the entire 6+ minute highlight reel.  Five or so of those throws could be picks in the NFL. Most were short passes or to wide open guys on what looked like first reads. Color me extremely underwhelmed.  You're making me consider bumping Darnold up to two. I do now want Jordan Lasley now, though. 

On 12/14/2017 at 11:27 AM, Mastercheddaar said:

I've been bouncing this back and forth in my head. With Dorsey on the Browns I feel he tries to swing a trade for Alex Smith as our Vet leadership on the team. We then would draft Darnold and have him 3rd string behind Alex Smith and Kizer respectively. I would be okay trading Philly's 2nd and our 4th for him. That would settle our QB problem I think. We would also have 3 picks in the 1st two rounds to add talent to this team. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

If we are drafting a QB in the first round they better be good enough to beat out Kizer for the backup job. Kizer isn't a top 60 QB in the NFL right now.

Archived