Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

Here is a current breakdown on the Darnold/Rosen thinking:

From the GBN:

To QB or not to QB … Right now, what were picking up from sources around the NFL is that there is a growing sense that QBs Sam Darnold of Southern Cal and UCLA’s Josh Rosen would be the first players off the board if the 2018 draft were held today. And NFL.com’s Dan Jeremiah did his own small survey of NFL personnel executives in which Darnold was the unanimous choice (of 5 people polled) to be taken before Rosen. There also appears to be somewhat of a drop off to the next tier of QBs in the 2018 draft class which likely includes Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma, Wyoming’s Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson of Louisville, and Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph, although all of these players still appear to have at least first-round potential. The most interesting of the latter group may be Mayfield, the front runner in this year’s Heisman race, who just about everyone will tell you would be in the top 2-3 discussion ‘if he were 3 inches taller.’ Stay tuned!

Here is the survey taken by Jeremiah:

One of the best rivalries in college football will be renewed on Saturday when the UCLA Bruins make the trip across town to take on the USC Trojans. This game will feature arguably the top 2 quarterback prospects in the country. This season has produced some ups and downs for Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but they are both still highly regarded in NFL circles.

I reached out to five NFL executives to see which of the two passers they believe will be the better pro player. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Sam Darnold
"Both are talented passers and both are tough. Rosen is tougher than he is given credit for. Sam just has a little more savvy and feel for the position to me. (Darnold has) more ability to make a crazy, improbable kind of play than Josh, while still being a highly skilled passer. (I) like both of them, but I'd take Sam if in position to choose one."

Executive 2: Darnold
"Darnold. He's stronger, he's a better athlete, better mobility and he's a better playmaker with his arm and legs. He has more 'it' factor."

Executive 3: Darnold
"I'll take Darnold. Rosen's likely a better natural talent, but Sam just has that 'it' factor that can be so hard to find and quantify."

Executive 4: Darnold
"I love Darnold. He's got poise, toughness and grit. When it's time to step up and make things happen, he gets it done. The kid's a winner, too. That matters."

Executive 5: Darnold
"They are both going to be good. Rosen is more polished and a finished product now, but I'm a Darnold guy. He (has) 'it'."

Summary: It's a sweep. Darnold received all 5 votes.

Conclusion: It's rare to get a unanimous result with these weekly Ask 5 questions. However, all five of these executives prefer Darnold over Rosen at the moment. I thought it was interesting that three of the executives mentioned the "it" factor. I hear that a lot when discussing Darnold and I agree with their assessment of him. He has a special quality that's hard to define. He's clutch and thrives in chaotic moments. I think Rosen is a more refined passer, but Darnold would get my vote right now.

-a short story by @Iamcanadian

I want Rosen and Guice. We have to get it right this time. Sure Darnold looks like a stud but he’s going to take longer to grow. I want Rosen he just seems so incontrol. His mechanics are superb. He’s just ready to go day 1. I do see Goff a lot in Rosen but I do see abit of Rodgers. I also think he alone makes UCLA respectable. Put him on USC and he’d be unanimous number 1 with guys like jones 

I can't wait for all the Rosen love after this game and all the Darnold is overrated stuff.

Rosen is surrounded by a lot of JAGs who dropped the ball a lot but he still cannot read or sense inside pressure and has slow eyes.

He threw some truly beautiful throws as he does every game.

Redzone decision making was still bad with that Middle of the field pick in the endzone.

UCLA throws so many spread outs it's crazy.

Darnold made some crazy pinpoint accurate throws from small platforms and also overthrew a variety of routes.

Also lacked situational awareness.

Bad pick due to his feet not being in a true passing set.

--------------

Overall, both prospect neither broke the trend of their play film to this point & this game will likely be used to affirm one's original opinion.

Given the full body of work, Darnold is still the plus prospect and Rosen is a good consolation prize.

If Kizer is what he is for good (inaccurate in critical situations, bad picks, poor situational awareness, slow eyes, inability to throw the ball away and avoid sacks, etc), then both Rosen and Darnold are better prospects; however, it is clear that Kizer has more talent and physical skills than both those guys.

I'm hoping Kizer can show us something with consistency if not Darnold or Rosen are nice talents to start to build around w/ an improving Kizer waiting in the wings.

Archived