2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I think it's a toss-up between Rosen and Darnold.

As someone posted, Darnold has a higher ceiling and Rosen a higher floor.

After what I saw last night, Rosen is my pick. 

It was nice watching competent QB play last night knowing that one of them probably will be ours.

I believe that Rosen will just come in with a better foundation. I like UCLA’s coaches more than USCs. I want to say all the coaches who would of worked with the QBs are better at UCLA than USC. I like Mora more than Helton and I want to say a lot of the UCLA offensive staff has connection/background from working with Harbough. The one thing I like about Rosen is his feet. He seems to always have them in position to make the pass. It’s crazy to read up on how great of a tennis player he was. That he would of been one of the best amateur tennis players in the nation, believe he was a top10 player in the junior division (18 and under) in the tennis circuit. I think that tennis background gives him the great feet and hips. He might not be the best overall athlete but when it comes to just being a QB. I think he is a darn good athlete for a pocket passer. 

Hopefully both come out and for once the browns get to have a choice at which great QB to have

26 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I believe that Rosen will just come in with a better foundation. I like UCLA’s coaches more than USCs. I want to say all the coaches who would of worked with the QBs are better at UCLA than USC. I like Mora more than Helton and I want to say a lot of the UCLA offensive staff has connection/background from working with Harbough. The one thing I like about Rosen is his feet. He seems to always have them in position to make the pass. It’s crazy to read up on how great of a tennis player he was. That he would of been one of the best amateur tennis players in the nation, believe he was a top10 player in the junior division (18 and under) in the tennis circuit. I think that tennis background gives him the great feet and hips. He might not be the best overall athlete but when it comes to just being a QB. I think he is a darn good athlete for a pocket passer. 

Hopefully both come out and for once the browns get to have a choice at which great QB to have

Rosen does look like he could be great as well.  I wouldn't be upset if we took him in the next draft.  I love me some Mayfield but also like Rosen.  I actually like Darnold less than both.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Rosen does look like he could be great as well.  I wouldn't be upset if we took him in the next draft.  I love me some Mayfield but also like Rosen.  I actually like Darnold less than both.

I am not a fan of Mayfield as a pro QB. I don’t like him if Hue is still the coach. The offensive system he plays in at Oklahoma is different and it allows him to have great success but it seems like Hue would fail to incorporate any of it in his system to make it easier for him. I like Rosen and Darnold because they will be able to play in just about any system. 

34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I am not a fan of Mayfield as a pro QB. I don’t like him if Hue is still the coach. The offensive system he plays in at Oklahoma is different and it allows him to have great success but it seems like Hue would fail to incorporate any of it in his system to make it easier for him. I like Rosen and Darnold because they will be able to play in just about any system. 

I am not a fan of--insert all-pro name here--if we keep Hue.

21 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

At least after this game, Rosen looks like the better NFL prospect. Like another poster said, he could be a carbon copy of Matt Ryan. Looks great and is outplaying Darnold.

I love Rosens intermediate/long accuracy and quick release. That looks like next level stuff and NFL throws.

Darnolds unsuspected quickness and accuracy on the run weirdly reminds me of what Rodgers does when hes scarambling around in circles and delivers a strike 20 years down field.

Two things I like about darnold completing passes while on the run.

2darnold can take you on a drive with a 35 mph breeze coming of the lake.

25 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

After watching the game last night I think I like Rosen more. Not to say I don’t like Darnold but if you made me pick right now from the few games I’ve seen of each, this year only, it would be Rosen. I liked Darnold more last year though. 

I think a lot of people did. To me a lot of people got caught up in the moment with him. USC was playing like hot garbage, so they switch up their starting QB to Darnold and he and the trojans take off and it ends with the shoot out with Penn St. Browns need to draft Rosen but Darnold would be a nice consolation prize.

1 hour ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

After watching the game last night I think I like Rosen more. Not to say I don’t like Darnold but if you made me pick right now from the few games I’ve seen of each, this year only, it would be Rosen. I liked Darnold more last year though. 

see yesterday to me was a trap game for those of us who had all eyes on the matchup. for starters, Rosen completed more passes than Darnold attempted in the game. so we got to see a lot more Rosen highlights than Darnold. USC was trying to win a football game, and their defense is one of the worst in the major conferences this year, so running the ball and keeping the opponent off the field is the best way to win for them. we also had Herbie the analyst at times trying to be Herbie the NFL Draft expert, and when Darnold had one play where he didn't have good footwork, he emphasized how much Darnold isn't ready for the NFL. Herbie also said something completely ridiculous when he said Darnold doesn't do well when having to move off his first target. 

I like them both. I like Mayfield. Hell I like Lamar Jackson a lot too, and wish he played somewhere like Clemson where we could see him throwing in a different type of offense. Jackson could be the best QB in the class. 

Don't forget about Kurt Benkert either, though we won't be in a position to take him. Our fans will murder the front office and staff if we don't draft a QB early. 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

see yesterday to me was a trap game for those of us who had all eyes on the matchup. for starters, Rosen completed more passes than Darnold attempted in the game. so we got to see a lot more Rosen highlights than Darnold. USC was trying to win a football game, and their defense is one of the worst in the major conferences this year, so running the ball and keeping the opponent off the field is the best way to win for them. we also had Herbie the analyst at times trying to be Herbie the NFL Draft expert, and when Darnold had one play where he didn't have good footwork, he emphasized how much Darnold isn't ready for the NFL. Herbie also said something completely ridiculous when he said Darnold doesn't do well when having to move off his first target. 

I like them both. I like Mayfield. Hell I like Lamar Jackson a lot too, and wish he played somewhere like Clemson where we could see him throwing in a different type of offense. Jackson could be the best QB in the class. 

Don't forget about Kurt Benkert either, though we won't be in a position to take him. Our fans will murder the front office and staff if we don't draft a QB early. 

Yeah I agree with most of this. One game doesn’t determine anything. I knew whoever looked better in this game would be the choice at qb. Everything else be danged. 

More to come. 

On 11/17/2017 at 10:24 PM, BleedTheClock said:

And Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, not in the top 10. You suggested we take a dude that's been benched several times this year in the top 10, not in round 6.

I think your missing my point.....

I have no faith in Lamar Jackson, only somewhat more in any other QB in this draft, none of them really strike me as great QBs. 

I'd be ok with Darnold as a prospect, but USC QB's have a terrible history of being busts with the lone exception being sorta Carson Palmer.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I have no faith in Lamar Jackson, only somewhat more in any other QB in this draft, none of them really strike me as great QBs. 

I'd be ok with Darnold as a prospect, but USC QB's have a terrible history of being busts with the lone exception being sorta Carson Palmer.

As far as the USC prospects, those guys played for different coaches in different eras really.

Darnold has everything you want in a qb prospect with the exception of maybe a little more experience.

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

Also, I wouldn't bank on getting someone the way of Tom Brady, it's not really likely and if you're holding out until you find a franchise QB in the 5th round or later you'll be searching for quite a few more years.

Yeah, you don't look for starters there, you try to find a backup and sometimes those guys develop.

Kizer should be that developmental backup.

Archived