2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

16 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

You think new head coach, DeMeco Ryans, came back to have a 35 year old Case Keenum start 17 games for him? 

I think Ryans isn’t thinking about a single season - he’s the coach for a decade plus, so if one of those seasons is with Keenum for 17 games, then so be it. 

Ryans is getting his QB this season, and he needs to make sure that QB is along for the duration of his tenure, not just 2023. If said QB needs to redshirt for a year, Ryans will allow it simply because he’s not focused on just 2023.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think Ryans isn’t thinking about a single season - he’s the coach for a decade plus, so if one of those seasons is with Keenum for 17 games, then so be it. 

Ryans is getting his QB this season, and he needs to make sure that QB is along for the duration of his tenure, not just 2023. If said QB needs to redshirt for a year, Ryans will allow it simply because he’s not focused on just 2023.

Keenum can start a few games, maybe until a bye week. But redshirt years don’t just happen like they used to, they only happen when there is already an established QB on the roster. We are not in KC or Baltimore’’s situation when they drafted their redshirt 1st round QBs.

Keenum is not that established QB, so let’s not treat him like he’s Alex Smith. (That’s the name that keeps getting thrown around.) I agree that whoever we draft should earn their spot but let’s not act like it’s apples to apples. If the rookie can give 90% of what Keenum or Mills can at the beginning of the season and the o line is not gonna get them murdered, then he’s gonna be the one starting. Part of the reason BY is touted this high despite his size concerns is that he’s pro ready. 

And I still don’t think Demco’s plan when he was interviewing was let’s go get a 35 year old back up qb to usher in my first year as a head coach. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Listening to Meco talk yesterday, I’m almost certain Young is the pick at 2

Yeah, pretty much everything he said about qualities he looks for in a QB points to Young. (Stroud too, if we’re being honest).

Comments on accuracy, poise and decision making tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt it’s NOT going to be Levis or Richardson (which alleviates my biggest fear, as I see massive bust potential with both). Hendon Hooker is an outside option, only if QB isn’t the pick at 1.2 - maybe move down from 1.12 to the 20-32 range?

But yeah - it’s a two horse race between Young and Stroud I think. Preference to Young, but I don’t think they look a gifted horse in the mouth of if Stroud is available.

• Like 1

Everything I've heard on my end is that it's Young and always has been. There was a rumor floating around that the Texans could've been involved in a three way trade where they got #1 overall pick, Carolina got #2, and Chicago dropped to #9. Texans decided against it because they believe that Carolina wants Stroud so no point to moving up to #1 (thanks again, Lovie). I've also heard that they wouldn't be opposed to taking Will Anderson, but I have a hard time seeing that one. #12 is a MASSIVE wild card. Bijan, WR, OL, trade down are all on the table. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Everything I've heard on my end is that it's Young and always has been. There was a rumor floating around that the Texans could've been involved in a three way trade where they got #1 overall pick, Carolina got #2, and Chicago dropped to #9. Texans decided against it because they believe that Carolina wants Stroud so no point to moving up to #1 (thanks again, Lovie). I've also heard that they wouldn't be opposed to taking Will Anderson, but I have a hard time seeing that one. #12 is a MASSIVE wild card. Bijan, WR, OL, trade down are all on the table. 

Your last sentence mentioning Bijan, and OL is interesting.  I personally feel we are set at both those positions with the exception of Center which I feel we will address later in the draft. 

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

1. I personally am not against Bijan as a weapon. You could argue they have needs in other places such as DE or WR but Bijan would be the best player available there by far. Bijan and DP actually could play together since they have different skill sets. 

2. I am still convinced Carolina is going Stroud. Trading up for a 185lb QB is fireable if it doesn't work out. Selecting him #2 is as much of a deal for a GM. 

3. Will Anderson works as well. Gives Meco his stud DE for his D and probably allows him to be competitive his first seaon with the defense possibly being top 15. 

4. IDK about OL at 12. Center is more of a bottom 20, 2nd round selection.

5. Trading back at 12 may be the best thing to do. Accumulate some assets and get LB's, Center and WR's in a more valued spot later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaze said:

1. I personally am not against Bijan as a weapon. You could argue they have needs in other places such as DE or WR but Bijan would be the best player available there by far. Bijan and DP actually could play together since they have different skill sets. 

2. I am still convinced Carolina is going Stroud. Trading up for a 185lb QB is fireable if it doesn't work out. Selecting him #2 is as much of a deal for a GM. 

3. Will Anderson works as well. Gives Meco his stud DE for his D and probably allows him to be competitive his first seaon with the defense possibly being top 15. 

4. IDK about OL at 12. Center is more of a bottom 20, 2nd round selection.

5. Trading back at 12 may be the best thing to do. Accumulate some assets and get LB's, Center and WR's in a more valued spot later. 

Bijan was interesting to me too, but it makes sense from a BPA perspective. I think BPA is ultimately what will end up happening at 12 unless we trade down. 

• Like 3

While Bijan or JSN at 1.12 is appealing, I'm starting to turn towards defense with this pick. The thought of Joey Porter Jr or Lukas Van Ness at 1.12 is incredibly appealing and - depending on who you're listening to - is actually achievable. Van Ness draws comparisons to Justin Smith of 49ers lore and Porter Jr is potentially another CB who does well with physical play at the line (something Derek Stingley was thought of, but couldn't manifest it in Lovie's weird zone scheme). 

Going JSN or Bijan wouldn't be bad here, but I'd say Porter or Van Ness would be major long term pieces that would have the way for a serious run in a few years.

In other news... Can't help but to say I called this in some capacity:

His Bortles is showing. I'm pretty certain he's not going 1.2 overall - I might even question if he goes 1.4 overall.

(Please don't use this as an opportunity to justify taking someone else at 1.2 and trying to get Levis at 1.12 or later - it doesn't matter *when* you take a bad QB, it's still a bad pick).

They hit on the one question I’ve been asking for a long time: why couldn’t he beat out Sean Clifford at PSU? This isn’t Joe Burrow transferring because Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields were on the verge of throwing for a bazillion TDs for OSU, this is a guy who had every opportunity to win the starting job at Penn State - and just simply didn’t.

I don’t care that he looks the part at 6’ 4” 240, I don’t care he can throw the ball to an uncovered WR with nobody bringing pressure - why is his highlight reel littered with flashy throws vs Louisiana Monroe and why did he have to transfer to Kentucky after losing an open competition to a guy who might be a UDFA this draft? 

Nobody has been able to answer those questions, it always comes back to how Bryce Young is only 5’ 11”. On tape and in interviews, there’s only one SEC QB worthy of a first round pick, and it’s the 5 Star Heisman winner from Alabama.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

In other news... Can't help but to say I called this in some capacity:

His Bortles is showing. I'm pretty certain he's not going 1.2 overall - I might even question if he goes 1.4 overall.

(Please don't use this as an opportunity to justify taking someone else at 1.2 and trying to get Levis at 1.12 or later - it doesn't matter *when* you take a bad QB, it's still a bad pick).

They hit on the one question I’ve been asking for a long time: why couldn’t he beat out Sean Clifford at PSU? This isn’t Joe Burrow transferring because Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields were on the verge of throwing for a bazillion TDs for OSU, this is a guy who had every opportunity to win the starting job at Penn State - and just simply didn’t.

I don’t care that he looks the part at 6’ 4” 240, I don’t care he can throw the ball to an uncovered WR with nobody bringing pressure - why is his highlight reel littered with flashy throws vs Louisiana Monroe and why did he have to transfer to Kentucky after losing an open competition to a guy who might be a UDFA this draft? 

Nobody has been able to answer those questions, it always comes back to how Bryce Young is only 5’ 11”. On tape and in interviews, there’s only one SEC QB worthy of a first round pick, and it’s the 5 Star Heisman winner from Alabama.

Levi’s posting these photos probably aren’t helping either lol

• Like 1