2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

I know its early but an interesting tidbit regarding 1st team is it looks like Quay Walker is starting with the ones. I think on D your going to see a lot of true nickel defense with the following:

Gary Reed Clark Smith 

Walker      Campbell

Alexander      Douglas                                  Stokes

Amos                          Savage

I left early. 

Watkins made the play of the day on a contested slant route by jaire. Looked like a one handed grab from where I was sitting. 

Watson ran a deep crosser from the slot position. Jordan Love put it on him in a good spot with were the defenders were. He adjusted well and made the grab confidently.  Probably 40 yards in the air. 

Jordan Love has a lively arm. His arm talent is far above the other QBs not wearing 12. 

Jordan Love looks clearly more athletic than all the QBs including 12. He hops and skips through footwork drills at a different level than the other guys. 12 would come in 2nd still at his age.

Watson looks sturdy in person. Not as thick as Watkins but passes the eyeball test. Looks to have a good NFL build. 

Watson stumbled twice when the ball was in the air. I’ve seen a little bit of that at NDSU. Stumbles more than usual. 

Saw Watson cradle one. Would like to see him hands catch that one. 

Watson didn’t stand out as being more athletic than the other guys. He just sort of fit in with the group. Didn’t look overly tall. Just fit in that way too. 

Saw Watson stumble again on a stop route. Caught It falling away. Doesn’t seem quite as coordinated as most NFL WRs.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Watson must not have had a drop. We would have heard about it. Doubs and Amari with drops.

I tried to watch every Watson snap. Didn’t see any drops, but I missed a couple when my attention was diverted. 

Saw him stumbling and loosing balance a couple times but no drops. 

2 hours ago, R T said:

It's going to interesting to watch the media's narrative completely change about Watkins in the coming months. 

In what direction are you thinking, RT? 

1. That the current narrative is negative, that he's a whacko bust who might get cut, and Gute should be chasing Julio or Fuller or whomever?  But that later on he might be viewed positively, as a capable guy, a likable battler, and a really solid value-per-dollar pickup by Gute?
  2. Or that the current narrative is too positive, that he's viewed as a famous primo draft pick, who's still talented and who might be our best receiver; but that later on he might be viewed negatively, as just a JAG vet who should be replaced ASAP?   

Heh heh, I'm not media-current enough to know what media narrative you view as prevalent!  If you take this board's comments, I think there is a whole range of perspectives.  A broad continuum of perspectives from pretty negative to pretty optimistic.  

LoveFTW, thanks for your observations.  "lively arm" for Love is helpful.  Watson being somewhat stumbly and uncoordinated is interesting.  I'd kinda wondered about that in some of the senior bowl clips, or whatever; thought he was sometimes trying to break more sharply than was easy for him, and seemed to lose his balance at times.  Heh heh, using the MVS analogy, I always felt like he was relatively uncoordinated for a WR, didn't have the great body balance Jordy and Adams and Jennings always had.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, craig said:

In what direction are you thinking, RT? 

1. That the current narrative is negative, that he's a whacko bust who might get cut, and Gute should be chasing Julio or Fuller or whomever?  But that later on he might be viewed positively, as a capable guy, a likable battler, and a really solid value-per-dollar pickup by Gute?
  2. Or that the current narrative is too positive, that he's viewed as a famous primo draft pick, who's still talented and who might be our best receiver; but that later on he might be viewed negatively, as just a JAG vet who should be replaced ASAP?   

Heh heh, I'm not media-current enough to know what media narrative you view as prevalent!  If you take this board's comments, I think there is a whole range of perspectives.  A broad continuum of perspectives from pretty negative to pretty optimistic.  

#1. Rodgers already thinks of Watkins as his go to WR, yet some in the media were pimping that he is at risk to be cut. The media has been selling the rookies as the saviors, but Rodgers isn't playing along with that silliness.  

Since these posts were made Rodgers made these comments. 

“I like production over potential. There’s some production, and a lot of potential. So, we need to temper expectations, and heighten accountability.”

On signing Sammy Watkins:

“I was 100% on board with that. I think it’s important you get guys who have a lot to play for, and I think Sammy has the opportunity to continue & travel down a new path in his career … I love the disposition. I really enjoy the person.”

Shemar Jean-Charles looked tiny. 

Cobb looked sluggish compared to the others. 

Kenny Clark, is a beast 

Gary is a beast

Enagbare looked small. There’s a reason he slipped to the 5th round. His college film looked like Z smith but his NFL size makes it very unlikely he’ll be able to play to that. 

On 6/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, JordanLoveFTW said:

2010 top 4 front line players

Cullen Jenkins

BJ Raji

Ryan Pickett

Clay Matthews 

vs 

2022 top 4 front line players 

Preston

Wyatt

Clark

Gary

Who you got? 

I like the guys we’ve got now if Wyatt is a player.

2010 was when Cullen Jenkins fell off correct or is my memory hazy

I'll take this year front 4. Kenny Clark is the best player out of any of them and Preston/Gary is potentially the best edge tandem in the league. 

10 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I'll take this year front 4. Kenny Clark is the best player out of any of them and Preston/Gary is potentially the best edge tandem in the league. 

Jenkins was good in 2010. It was the year after. 

12 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

2010 was the high water mark for BJ Raji with 6.5 sacks.  39 stops.  9 hits.  Made the Pro Bowl the next year.

2010 Pickett was almost unmoveable a a run stopper.

2010 was Matthews high water mark for sacks with 13.5.  All Pro.  He was a beast then.  Lost out on Defensive Player of the year to Polamalu.  Mathews came in second.  Better than Preston or Gary.

2010 Jenkins played in only 11 games, starting 8.  Still hit his high water mark with 7 sacks.

2010 Frank Zombo with 4 sacks.  Not nearly on the level of P or Gary.  Even if P gets 4 sacks, he will be better than Zombo.

I like this year's squad, no doubt.  But with the benefit of hindsight versus foresight, I'll take the 2010 squad that helped us win a title.

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Shemar Jean-Charles looked tiny. ...

Any Doubs observations?  Skinny, or fit in reasonably well with Watkins, Winfree, and Watson too?  Any sense of his coordination and body control?