2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

57 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I hear about dropped balls, but in the videos I’ve seen I’ve only seen one drop, and he’s made several catches outside of his frame. His hands won’t be a strength, but if you are a playmaker, there is room for drops—see TO and Brandon Marshall. If MVS has ball tracking ability, he’d have been a great asset—despite his drops.

I said earlier this week that they're going to watch his hands like a hawk and every pass that gets close they'll go tweet was a drop

14 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

From the videos I've seen his hands look great. Very smooth, plucks the ball nicely and late hands. They seem more natural than the other WRs on show.  That is all from my untrained eye

Agreed. I assume he's putting a lot of his concentration into routes and footwork. They say he's had a drop in every practice open to the media. They don't say out of how many balls thrown his way. I honestly don't know if we're talking one drop out of five or fifty. Jordy had his share of inexplicable drops. As long as the percentage of drops is under ten percent, and as long as the production is there on the other 90%, I can't get too excited.

16 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Why do "drops" seem to get so much more discussion than QB's missing an open receiver with an errant pass? 

Goes back to controlling what you can control.  If the QB misses the WR by 5+ yards, you're going to talk about a bad throw from the QB.  If the QB throws the ball and it hits the WRs hands, it's going to be dinged against the WR regardless of whether or not the throws were accurate.  That's why I asked for some videos of his drops.  Not just the number.  All drops aren't the same.

Drops stats are challenging.  Wide continuum of possible catches, from easy to extraordinary albeit possible.  Some catches are really really difficult.  Do you chalk up “another drop” for not getting a ball that would go uncaught by95% of nfl receivers?  Or only count “drop” if half of the receivers would catch it?  I’m not sure there is consistency in judging.

We signed Campbell on June 9th last year. I imagine we'll look at the roster in full next week at mandatory minicamp and make any vet additions we want before camp in the days following.

At least that's what I'm telling myself because this time of the year is so boring that I need to make news in my head.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Drops stats are challenging.  Wide continuum of possible catches, from easy to extraordinary albeit possible.  Some catches are really really difficult.  Do you chalk up “another drop” for not getting a ball that would go uncaught by95% of nfl receivers?  Or only count “drop” if half of the receivers would catch it?  I’m not sure there is consistency in judging.

I think you are over thinking this one. If you ask any NFL WR, he will tell you that if he can get a hand on it, he should catch it. They are professionals and they should catch every ball they can get their hands on. Fairly black and white for grading a drop. Tough catches are why they get paid for it. 

Anybody heard any updates on Bak and his knee.  He had some setbacks in December and couldnt keep his knee from filling up with fluid.   Needed to rest it, but havent heard anything lately on how thats going.  Any reports or updates?

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Goes back to controlling what you can control.  If the QB misses the WR by 5+ yards, you're going to talk about a bad throw from the QB.  If the QB throws the ball and it hits the WRs hands, it's going to be dinged against the WR regardless of whether or not the throws were accurate.  That's why I asked for some videos of his drops.  Not just the number.  All drops aren't the same.

[Looks over barricade]

[Clears throat]

"This fanbase sees the QB miss a WR by 5+ yards and immediately blames the WR for the route."

[Ducks back behind barricade]

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

[Looks over barricade]

[Clears throat]

"This fanbase sees the QB miss a WR by 5+ yards and immediately blames the WR for the route."

To be fair though Gb has like the most accurate QB in league history so he isn’t likely missing throws… WRs are more likely running bad routes.

that’s just science…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Green19 said:

To be fair though Gb has like the most accurate QB in league history so he isn’t likely missing throws… WRs are more likely running bad routes.

that’s just science…

Aaron Rodgers is human, that is just science. 

49 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

[Looks over barricade]

[Clears throat]

I guess the answer is 

If a receiver drops a pass you know its a drop. Whether its difficult or easy or whatever, you can see the ball went to him and he didn't catch it. 

With the pass, you just don't know whether its the receiver not running his route or Rodgers just messing up. Rodgers is extremely accurate and doesn't usually miss by much - plus he is very much a timing QB expecting a WR to be where they are (hence the whole trust thing) so if he misses by 5 yards there is a good chance the WR has messed up his route.  As we don't know he will get the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people.

But yeah Rodgers will get away with plenty that he just missed that get chalked up as a bad route.

It goes the other way as well - plenty of fans will, if in doubt blame Rodgers. I'm sure there are plenty of passes gone wrong which you guys will have naturally blamed Rodgers that were the receiver's fault.

When its unclear, the pro Rodgers fans will probably blame the WR, the anti-Rodgers fans will blame Rodgers.