2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

Just now, CWood21 said:

You would think they would with all the tornadoes Oklahoma sees.

I believe it is because the soil is sandier than other parts of the midwest.  I believe Texas also doesn't have a lot of basements.  When my family moved from Madison to SW Missouri, we also looked at Tulsa, NW Arkansas, Kansas City, and Lake Ozark area (yeah, that is a real place).  None of the homes in Tulsa had basements.  Not that it is a major selling point or anything, but it is a good place for storage.  And storm shelter as well.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I believe it is because the soil is sandier than other parts of the midwest.  I believe Texas also doesn't have a lot of basements.  When my family moved from Madison to SW Missouri, we also looked at Tulsa, NW Arkansas, Kansas City, and Lake Ozark area (yeah, that is a real place).  None of the homes in Tulsa had basements.  Not that it is a major selling point or anything, but it is a good place for storage.  And storm shelter as well.  

Oh, I'm aware.  A LOT of friends I've known have installed those metal tornado shelters in their garage.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I'm aware.  A LOT of friends I've known have installed those metal tornado shelters in their garage.

how does that work? Are they just more stable if the roof collapses on top of them? 

I have always looked at tornados like if I get hit I'm done regardless of any safety measures I take.  I am probably wrong, but that has always been my stance.  

I do know a lot of people that were affected by the huge Joplin tornado about 10 years ago.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

how does that work? Are they just more stable if the roof collapses on top of them? 

I have always looked at tornados like if I get hit I'm done regardless of any safety measures I take.  I am probably wrong, but that has always been my stance.  

I do know a lot of people that were affected by the huge Joplin tornado about 10 years ago.  

I haven't really looked into them, but from what I've seen they're graded to withstand up to F5-level winds.  You'd have everything collapse on top of them, but they'd still be standing so you just have to wait out until someone rescues you.

EDIT: IIRC, they open to the inside.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I haven't really looked into them, but from what I've seen they're graded to withstand up to F5-level winds.  You'd have everything collapse on top of them, but they'd still be standing so you just have to wait out until someone rescues you.

I'm just imagining a reinforced dog kennel that saves you from being crushed, and hopefully you don't drown or starve.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

My sister and her husband have one and it has a sliding door, so it can be opened even with debris piled against it. 

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I wouldnt live in tornado alley w/o an underground tornado shelter. Sure, Florida gets tornadoes moving around....but nothing like the earth grading ones that churn thru tornado alley. Those storms leave nothing but the foundations to the homes.

21 hours ago, R T said:

My sister and her husband have one and it has a sliding door, so it can be opened even with debris piled against it. 

We don't have one.  No need.  But I've always thought that a tornado shelter would be a great man-cave.  We don't need much, but I could see disappearing into that thing for full weekends and having a blast.  

Now, if I could figure out how to install one without my wife knowing.....  :)

• Like 1

Bill Huber -  "We're missing a couple guys" LaFleur anticipated practicing today. Alexander and Watkins are not here, he says. "I want everybody here," LaFleur says. But these are voluntary practices, he notes.

Matt Schneidman -  Matt LaFleur says they’re down a couple guys they expected here because of flight troubles getting into Green Bay last night. Jaire Alexander and Sammy Watkins have been asked about specifically, and neither are here for voluntary OTAs.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber -  "We're missing a couple guys" LaFleur anticipated practicing today. Alexander and Watkins are not here, he says. "I want everybody here," LaFleur says. But these are voluntary practices, he notes.

Matt Schneidman -  Matt LaFleur says they’re down a couple guys they expected here because of flight troubles getting into Green Bay last night. Jaire Alexander and Sammy Watkins have been asked about specifically, and neither are here for voluntary OTAs.

The Packers are kind of losing ground when it comes to OTA attendance, or at least it seems that way.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the Packers had near perfect attendance at times under McCarthy.  I think the Packers used to load contracts with incentives for OTA participation .. maybe those days are over?

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers are kind of losing ground when it comes to OTA attendance, or at least it seems that way.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the Packers had near perfect attendance at times under McCarthy.  I think the Packers used to load contracts with incentives for OTA participation .. maybe those days are over?

Practice? We're talkin' about practice? Man we don't need no practice. Who's got some weed? Lets go get high!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

the more a player makes in signing bonus, base salary and roster bonus, the less need for a few K in workout bonus/OTA attendance.  

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Without any actual information I'll wager this is a league wide issue that been getting worse.